• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Favorite Keeper Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HoosierDaddy, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Vezio

Vezio New in Town

These are my first two Aeroleather jackets:

Premier Half Belt
    a2.png a3.png a11.png

Aero B6
    1.png 2.png 5.png
    SJC, navetsea, Mich486 and 16 others like this.
  2. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Thanks, the B-3 is heavier than the Irvin don't know the precise weights. As for warmth, I find the Irvin to be warmer if I'm honest, the fact that the belt can be cinched up tight makes all the difference on a windy dog walk. If both are being worn open I don't think there's much in it, I can wear more under the B-3 though as it's a 44, the Irv being 42, so they both have different uses.
    Milesdeathescape and Edward like this.
  3. Nice. I'm not normally a fan of the side lacings, but this one could win me over. What is it, a Bates?

Nice jackets. I've admired them myself - I actually have, somewhere, one of Mark (Fishmoek's) first jackets, based on a photo from the Spanish civil war, which is basically an A1 with a zip. Lovely thing, but I'll have to move it on as it was always just a bit too neat for me (a true ww2-era 44 - like a 42 in an Aero 30s HB). I think when cometh the hour and the cash, I'm going to fill that particular slot with the Aeromarine for myself.

Interesting. I have both a LW B3 and an ELC 42 pattern Irvin. The Irvin seemed hella light when I first got it - was worried I'd tear it when I first wore it! - but it's fine. I don't think I could tell any difference between the two in terms of heat.
  4. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Agreed, on a non windy day there's not much in it really, but when the wind blows that belt make all the difference. I live by the coast btw.
    Sloan1874 likes this.
  5. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

That's interesting. I always wondered if the ANJ-4 was just a refinement of the B-3 pattern, but with the same warmth.
  6. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I forgive it side laces for that reason as well, even though I don't mind them as much. :) It's Natal Leathers. I've no clue about it, though, just that it is a very good jacket.
    Edward likes this.
  7. This isn’t a particularly rare or expensive jacket. But I don’t think rare and expensive was what Van was asking to see. In fact, when it comes to leather jackets, “rare or expensive” doesn’t necessarily translate to “favorite and keeper”. There probably isn’t even a good correlation between the two.

This g-1 is a good argument for that proposition. It’s a NOS Orchard that I bought new...directly from Orchard. It’s just a plain-Jane, cowhide, e-series G-1. It isn’t collectible. It has no historical value. And it has no mojo from flying sorties over Hanoi or Baghdad. But it’s my jacket. My creases. My scars. My beer stains. And though I have more collectible G-1s, this is the jacket I almost always reach for when I want to wear Navy leather.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. ksozay

ksozay One of the Regulars

What cross zip are you after? I've got a collection of Cal Jackets that might have something you'd like.
  9. The thing about a jacket this heavy is it depends what you are doing and most of the time it’s hard to say. When wearing a coat in cold climates that’s suited for a coat like the ANJ4, it’s all about on the fly adjustments. Because simply, it’s too big to carry under the arm without it looking like a giant hotdog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Interesting - I wonder is this them? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Natal-Leather/146870305357963 CAn't find a 'proper' website. There are a few Natal branded cafe racers on eBay, a common theme seems to be seller saying they are great and should be better known. I'm guessing they might also b an OEM manufacturer of bike jackets sold under other brands?
  11. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

My best guess is that it was some small time business that went under sometime during the 90's. Their cafe racer style is exactly the same as the Scooter jacket Walter Dyer is still producing - and I mean exactly the same; wasn't just a copy or something, the jackets were exact twins, probably made at the same plant or something - though what was the connection between the two companies was, I've no idea.

Thing is, it doesn't take an expert to see these jackets are seriously good. I mean, I can see why people say that. Only jacket I've ever had that actually becomes uncomfortably heavy after a while. I certainly did feel cheated when I finally decided to invest into a "better" leather jacket and then got something that was half the weight of that Natal. And didn't even have canvas lined pockets. XD
    Edward and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  12. Powerband

Powerband Familiar Face

Aero Half Belt

Fits me perfectly in every way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    red devil, nick123, Dav and 11 others like this.
  13. jonesy86

jonesy86 Practically Family

nick123 likes this.
  14. jonesy86

jonesy86 Practically Family

Did I say Wow?....Wow!
    nick123 and handymike like this.
  15. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

25 years young.....

Zip Sleeve HWMN (1 of 5).jpg Zip Sleeve HWMN (2 of 5).jpg
    SJC, navetsea, torfjord and 12 others like this.
  16. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

Another keeper.....

Modified Sunburst pattern. Probably the most comfortable jacket I have.

Aero Modified Sunburst (18 of 29)-1.jpg Aero Modified Sunburst (19 of 29)-2.jpg
    navetsea, mr_lits, torfjord and 14 others like this.
  17. Vezio

Vezio New in Town

dan_t likes this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Vezio likes this.
  19. Great looking Sunburst Dan!
    dan_t and nick123 like this.
  20. It's time for the monthly PSA.
    Receipt joke.JPG