Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Coat

nightandthecity

Practically Family
can't find any good pix...but here's the macintosh

64_1_b.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

and here's the trench

57_1_b.jpg

zeus36

A-List Customer
Zach R. said:
I'm not a big fan of single-breasted coats, unless they are jacket-length. I've always been partial to the look of trench coats, timeless style.

BTW, can you suggest a good manufacturer of Bridge Coats, Zeus?

Sorry for the delay Zach, I had not been following the post....

I've found several of these Bridge coats in Army Surplus stores. They are basically long Navy Pea coats, some with gold buttons, some with black plastic buttons. My first I bought in 1984 had the plastic buttons with anchors ( same as the pea coats) but my command made me flip the buttons over if I wore the coat off duty as it was not issue to enlisted. There is no manufacturer listed in the pocket label, just "warehouse clothing issue". I paid 15 bucks for it at a Navy thrift shop.

My second appears to be made for an officer as a non-issue replacement. The label on the inside pocket reads :

William McGee
Personalized Tailoring
Okinawa- Hong Kong

It seems to be a finer wool with silk lining though out and even on the inside of the back-belt. It is a 42 Regular and cost me 25 bucks two months ago at a local Army/Navy surplus.
Just in time for summer :(

BTW-- I have that same leather German trench coat worn by Hitler in the photo from Baron Kurtz.

I love that leather coat but I find it is not a versatile as the wool long coats. I seem to get a negative reaction to the German trench at times. But I always get compliments on the Bridge coat.

Tervurenlaan

New in Town
nightandthecity said:
presuming we mean coats and not jackets (in our local dialect a "coat" can mean both) I'd plump for the 1930s-50s British Officers rubberized canvas "mackintosh" (sometimes called the riding mac) or the same period British Officer's poplin trench coat.
Hi

I am most interested in acquiring one, size 40, fawn and, preferablym second-hand. Can you help me out. I missed a couple on eBay and new reissues are very expensive

Tervurenlaan

New in Town
nightandthecity said:
presuming we mean coats and not jackets (in our local dialect a "coat" can mean both) I'd plump for the 1930s-50s British Officers rubberized canvas "mackintosh" (sometimes called the riding mac) or the same period British Officer's poplin trench coat.
Hi
I am most interested in acquiring one in good condition, fawn, size 40 and, preferably, used. I have missed a couple on eBay and new reissues are very expensive. Can you heelp me out? Thanks

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I've listed a few of these on ebay in the past......anyway, if I get any more I'll try and remember to let you know!

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've been on a quest for the perfect leather jacket for years and am still looking, but I like a variety of different types of jackets and coats for different reasons. My current favourites are:

Barbour wax Beauchamp Jacket
Wested Lamb Indy jacket
US Authentic cutomised A2 in seal HH (added handwarmer and inside pockets)
Aero Highwayman in Jerky FQ HH

otterhound

One of the Regulars
The Nazis really ruined the full length leather coat. I will never be able to see one without thinking SS and Gestapo.

That camel hair polo coat early in the thread is the most beautiful coat I've ever seen.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I think I prefer a silver gray double-breasted Chesterfield with peaked lapels and a black velveteen collar.

I already have a London Fog Trench Coat.

Now I just need a Safari Jacket for casual autumn and spring days.

Close Shave

New in Town
Covert coat and a heavy tweed cape with Inverness cape.

Covert coat must have black velvet collar, of course - mustn't forget those beheaded in La Revolution!

"If I was half as ugly as you, Sergeant Major, I'd be a poster boy for a prophylactic! "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot