Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Discrimination

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
What an outrage!! I've got a story... a story of oppression and evil.

Saturday night I went out for a night on the town with a couple friends. I was rocking a gray three piece suit with a matching fedora. There's a bar here called "Capone's Lounge", complete with cigar humidor, martini experts, and overstuffed leather chair. Perfect, right? It's one of four bars that are part of a big building, but thats beside the point.

I approach the security goon, ID and cover charge in hand. I get a cute little duckie stamped on my hand and make my way in, when i'm manhandled. The said goon grabs my arm and says "Sorry, we don't allow hats." I look at him with a WTF look, and he produces a list of rules, one of which states "BASEBALL CAPS ONLY". Wow, what a travesty.

He proceeds to explain to me how "do rags" and ski caps were being worn, and they perceived them to be gang related. I had enough and asked to speak to the manager, they brought me the owner. I told him that my hat hadn't been "gang related" since his mom was in diapers. In the end, I got the old "well if I let you do it, I have to let everyone do it", and it ended. So I had to leave my hat in the car. :(

But after awhile we went to another bar, where I was complimented several times by staff and patrons alike on my headgear. Weird, huh? Should I write a nasty letter or something?

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Capone's Lounge at That!

Being in Chicagoland, I don't think their lounge is very "Capone Authentic" if you can't even wear a Fedora there! A place like that should even have a hat check, or at least a hat rack. They could easily solve their problems if all head gear was to be checked, then it would be more authentic. I have people asking me all the time about a "Capone" style hat. To have a lounge named Capone and not allow the Fedora is indeed a travesty. I would suggest giving the owner some gangster related history because it appears he is paranoid about gangsters, but would like to name his lounge after a "gangster" boss.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Nah

Mr_Misanthropy said:
What an outrage!! I've got a story... a story of oppression and evil.

Saturday night I went out for a night on the town with a couple friends. I was rocking a gray three piece suit with a matching fedora. There's a bar here called "Capone's Lounge", complete with cigar humidor, martini experts, and overstuffed leather chair. Perfect, right? It's one of four bars that are part of a big building, but thats beside the point.

I approach the security goon, ID and cover charge in hand. I get a cute little duckie stamped on my hand and make my way in, when i'm manhandled. The said goon grabs my arm and says "Sorry, we don't allow hats." I look at him with a WTF look, and he produces a list of rules, one of which states "BASEBALL CAPS ONLY". Wow, what a travesty.

He proceeds to explain to me how "do rags" and ski caps were being worn, and they perceived them to be gang related. I had enough and asked to speak to the manager, they brought me the owner. I told him that my hat hadn't been "gang related" since his mom was in diapers. In the end, I got the old "well if I let you do it, I have to let everyone do it", and it ended. So I had to leave my hat in the car. :(

But after awhile we went to another bar, where I was complimented several times by staff and patrons alike on my headgear. Weird, huh? Should I write a nasty letter or something?
Vote with your feet and pocketbook. If all they allow is baseball caps, the combined IQ of the patrons in that establishment put together won't come close to equaling your hat size.
DR

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
:eusa_clap
Well put. I really didn't even want to stay after they dissed my hat, but, my friends did... and I did get my first drink half price for the inconvenience. Whoop dee doo.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The eighth deadly sin: being well-dressed

I can empathize with you, Mr M. My hapless fawn Akubra Stylemaster suffered the same fate late last year in, of all places, supposedly up-market North Sydney. Whilst making my way into a swank public bar/eatery for a buddy's birthday dinner, I was accosted by the two simian doormen guarding said citadel of poor style and told to remove my hat or I'd be refused entry.

The first comment poised on my lips was, "Of course, I always remove my hat to ladies," but figured it would ruin my friend's birthday pretty quick if I got involved in a fracas with Dumb and Dumber. I refused to even look at the palookas as I stepped through the threshold hatless. To me it was just plain rude - when I was seated in the upstairs restaurant, the hat would have been removed anyway. Could they not wait one minute until I arrived there?

Pardon us for looking stylish.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeah.. they're just jealous if you ask me. I forgot to mention, there was even this black Jazz band playing, and they were all wearing vintage black suits, and the female lead singer had a flapper style dress on. They all kind of smiled at me when I walked in, so, I could tell they appreciated the fact that I "dressed the part". But then I just felt naked without my hat. I even said I'd just hold and not wear it.. no dice.

Bebop

Practically Family
If they don't want fedoras because they might be gang related, why would they let you in while wearing a suit? The gang members that wore fedoras wore suits also. The place sounds mis-named.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I don't mind them having a "remove your hat when in our bar" policy. That is proper etiquette....and is good to help the ballcap crowd to learn manners.....but to not allow you to carry your hat in is just wrong. I wouldn't enter.

Next time in Chicago try the Redhead Bar. Nice classy piano joint that allow your lid to accompany you.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Invitation to the blues...

It just goes to show with the owner not bending to the occasion that

the doormen would have taken one on the chops if they would have made

a (right) decission to look the other way.

It would have been a LOL scene in both Benny's and your hat experiences

if they would have let you carry the hat ...and every now and then made

like you were going to put it on as you made eye contact with the gents.

On topic but perhaps another post...how much would we be willing to pay

for a proper hat check at an establishment?

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Mr_Misanthropy said:

Terrible experience. Heck yes, I'd write a letter and tell them you don't plan on ever entering their establishment again. Imagine a place called Capone's Lounge and they don't allow fedoras!...KC

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I guess there must be a famous rapper or miscreant that we've never heard of named Capone, because that seems to be the client?®le that this place summons. MK, thanks for the tip on Redheads, i'm actually planning a trip to Chicago in the future. As for a hat check, I would have rather left my fedora in the car than given it to an inexperienced hat checker... I would have walked in with a vintage Stetson and walked out with a Astros cap or something. And yes, I do think I'll write a letter, maybe it'll do some good. Who knows.

Feraud

Bartender
Mr_Misanthropy said:
He proceeds to explain to me how "do rags" and ski caps were being worn, and they perceived them to be gang related.
So what the heck does a "do rag" or ski cap have to do with a fedora? I think you stepped into a Twilight Zone episode called "Poserville"!
I would not have entered the joint and told 'em where to stick their baseball caps.
Btw, you should write them a letter. Write and say you are going to tell all your friends about the other bar that allows fedoras. You can also throw in a comment that Capone would not be caught dead at that dump. ;)

Mr_Misanthropy said:
What if it's a particularly nasty letter? :mad:
Hot letters do not really help convince the opposing side. However, take the parameters of their rules and run them to their absurd conclusions. Also point out the various mixed messages presented. Finalize with if there is no change in the policy you will advise your circle of friends to avoid the place.

Also, letter needs to be sent to the owner, to the manger and to the person that books the acts.

Next, write some letters to the editor of the various local papers.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well this is becoming a letter writing campaign I think. :) To anyone who wishes to assist me in my cause... here's who to address your concerns.

Maine Street Tap
C/O Ralph Hessinger (owner)
635 Maine St
Quincy, IL 62301

Like I said, it's four bars in one building.. "Capone's Hideaway" was the one I was in, but the rules are the same in all of them. I plan to stress that they can ban hats as much as they like, and all they'll have are hatless gang bangers, and they'll just think of some other identifying accessory. There's no reason to let them ruin it for the distinguished hat wearer like myself and you fine gentlemen (and ladies).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff