Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

At my mother-in-law's funeral in 1986 the priest referred to her by her last name throughout the entire service. As if that wasn't bad enough, about half-way through the service an elderly Hispanic woman entered the church through the doors on the left, made her way across the front of the nave (i.e., where the congregation sits during normal services), and when she discovered my mother-in-law's casket blocking her way she put her hand on it and used it to steady herself as she used the first step (that leads to the pulpit) to go around it, did the same thing to step down on the other side, then continued to exit through the doors on the right without ever showing even a hint that she knew there were other people in the church. o_O
Ugh.
There are so many of the old emojis that would be perfect for this story, Alex.

I'll let your mind pick the right one. [emoji14]

Ugh.
There are so many of the old emojis that would be perfect for this story, Alex.

I'll let your mind pick the right one. [emoji14]
The family, of course, discussed this "event" later that evening, and we discovered we had all had the same initial thought--that she was a "cleaning woman" who worked for the church (based on the way she was dressed). But we all also discarded that theory rather quickly, reasoning that someone who worked for the church would know better than to disrupt a funeral in such a way. And the priest, who had never met my mother-in-law, never noticed her because he was too engrossed in not losing his place in his "script". We never did find out who she was. As it was happening our reactions ranged from disbelief to outright anger, but as we discussed it that evening we all pretty much surrendered to the absurdity of it and had a good laugh. If nothing else, it made Ma's funeral that much more memorable.

I'm not sure all of that could be captured with a single emoji. Might need two. :D

At my mother-in-law's funeral in 1986 the priest referred to her by her last name throughout the entire service. As if that wasn't bad enough, about half-way through the service an elderly Hispanic woman entered the church through the doors on the left, made her way across the front of the nave (i.e., where the one...congregation sits during normal services), and when she discovered my mother-in-law's casket blocking her way she put her hand on it and used it to steady herself as she used the first step (that leads to the pulpit) to go around it, did the same thing to step down on the other side, then continued to exit through the doors on the right without ever showing even a hint that she knew there were other people in the church. o_O

People astound, Alex. WOW. Your family was right on to laugh at the utter absurdity. At my father's shiva (customary gathering to mourn at the home of the grieving following a funeral) we were amused by the visit of a skunk into the garage breezeway, preventing my father's sister from leaving on schedule. Imagine the things we all said that day...

I couldn't hit "like" for this one...

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Since I have no marriage behind, I feel immune from spending money with lawyers .........;)

We spent the third week of September in the natural park of the Dolomites "Fannes-Sennes-Braies" widest in Trentino AltoAdige the northern region in Italy.
The bet was that the weather in this period changed often and suddenly. The planned main activity was to take long walks in the mountains and rain is not a good friend when you walk for kilometers between ascents and descents between mountains and forests.
The arrival in hotel was terrible: intermittent rain and a slight cold
152ozza.jpg

Despite the bad conditions we walked for about ten kilometers in the woods and when we went out we had the surprise to see several rainbows
28amc5f.jpg

3338pio.jpg

Good sign!
This was the landscape the Monday morning from the hotel
jr90gi.jpg

I was in the sun on a deck near the hotel garden to look Berta (wood carving) which is the Protectress of the forest
20r1gyp.jpg

The weather was nice and tacked to our holiday and the following walks were beautiful
The first walk was relatively short with a steep climb to get to isolated farmsteads that are on the high side and exposed to the south of the valley of Marebbe (in Ladin Mareo)
2ijn7g1.jpg

There was a fantastic vision of the Putia (2875 mt.), a mountain isolated in the profile of the mountain
30vyges.jpg

San Vigilio di Marebbe (Plan de Mareo in Ladin) is a wonderful village in a in a linguistic island where they speak Ladino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladin_language
Tuesday we went to the mountain hut Santa Croce walking for about ten kilometers in the middle of a fantastic landscape
2v3ihpt.jpg

This was our landmark to the destination
rucvw8.jpg

The last panorama was the Marmolada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmolada the highest of the Dolomites
2922pkz.jpg

Since I have no marriage behind, I feel immune from spending money with lawyers .........;)

We spent the third week of September in the natural park of the Dolomites "Fannes-Sennes-Braies" widest in Trentino AltoAdige the northern region in Italy.
The bet was that the weather in this period changed often and suddenly. The planned main activity was to take long walks in the mountains and rain is not a good friend when you walk for kilometers between ascents and descents between mountains and forests.
The arrival in hotel was terrible: intermittent rain and a slight cold
152ozza.jpg

Despite the bad conditions we walked for about ten kilometers in the woods and when we went out we had the surprise to see several rainbows
28amc5f.jpg

3338pio.jpg

Good sign!
This was the landscape the Monday morning from the hotel
jr90gi.jpg

I was in the sun on a deck near the hotel garden to look Berta (wood carving) which is the Protectress of the forest
20r1gyp.jpg

The weather was nice and tacked to our holiday and the following walks were beautiful
The first walk was relatively short with a steep climb to get to isolated farmsteads that are on the high side and exposed to the south of the valley of Marebbe (in Ladin Mareo)
2ijn7g1.jpg

There was a fantastic vision of the Putia (2875 mt.), a mountain isolated in the profile of the mountain
30vyges.jpg

San Vigilio di Marebbe (Plan de Mareo in Ladin) is a wonderful village in a in a linguistic island where they speak Ladino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladin_language
Tuesday we went to the mountain hut Santa Croce walking for about ten kilometers in the middle of a fantastic landscape
2v3ihpt.jpg

This was our landmark to the destination
rucvw8.jpg

The last panorama was the Marmolada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmolada the highest of the Dolomites
2922pkz.jpg

Daniele these are some of the nicest landscapes I've ever seen. Thanks!! What camera/lens did you use?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Breathtaking Daniele. Reminds me of the Grand Tetons here in the States in Wyoming.
Perry I have not the chance to see the Grand Tetons with my eyes, but from the pictures I saw it is astounding!
Here the mountains are more populated and the fauna is not so rich like in the Grand Teton that is five more great than the Fannes - Sennes - Braies park

Daniele these are some of the nicest landscapes I've ever seen. Thanks!! What camera/lens did you use?
Charlie, the photographs are mainly taken with a Panasonic Lumix GF 1 and panorama with a mobile Meizu M2
I don't pass too much time in post production, just enough to get what I want.
I'm an analog photographer and I believe, still, that almost everything is in the camera shot.

Your photos are always wonderful Daniele, but this one stopped me in my tracks. Absolutely breathtaking!
The mountain in the picture is Mont Ciaval in ladin (Monte Cavallo 2911 mt.)
That day we had a spectacular light for all the day.....and the Dolomites are incredible scenery (heritage of UNESCO) that help a lot the photographer and delight visitors
They are special mountains for their color ranging from yellow and bright pink

Thank you so much for your likes.
You will have to stand some others pictures of excursions

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again. Second part

The meadows suitable for hay at the foot of Mount Cavallo, are among the highest in Europe and cultivated for many months a year as of the gardens
14uukh0.jpg

There are numerous barns that are the shelter for soilage during the months of the cut
1zzopx5.jpg

Wednesday was dedicated to the longest, a day long, and most strenuous hike
The valley, in the morning, from the first slopes towards the Fanes
2woen4i.jpg

Some mountains that surround the path
inb91k.jpg

Sweat and toil
30s8pq9.jpg

We arrived at Fanes, a plateau with a lake where there is the "Parliament of the Marmots"
o8gjz5.jpg

These animals are very active in this area and often show themselves easily, accustomed to walkers, who arrived in the vicinity of their homes are "lurking" to see them
2qn7bcl.jpg

The small lake with a little river
2j3my4l.jpg

We had a dinner in the mountain retreat with the international crew of walkers (half Italian and half German)
The path winds through bypaths and military roads built during the First World War between priceless beauty
nfjme8.jpg

The first snow fell on Sunday on the high peaks, but the temperature was more than acceptable
2cmonxi.jpg

We arrived tired at the base for a strong dinner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner