Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I thank Che and Sylvia for their hospitality, Sylvia made a fantastic lunch for my mom, wife, and I and their daughter Anna and Jorge contributed to the feast as well. Sneak'n a pic of the lovely Sylvia in here too.

Mike; It appears to have been a lovely vacation trip. Congrats to both the host and guests! It would be a terrific stop in the Bay area. Che (and family) are a classy lot and appear to embrace life and family. Excellent time had by all!

Good to see and hear from you Mike. Best, Eric -

For whatever the reason, I've not been to this thread in Waaaaay too long. Alan, there aren't enough congrats to cover the long gap since the wedding, but I'll try....Congratulations!!!

Harv the photos of the gals, your son (and even you) are great additions around here. Good-looking crowd, there!!

Joao, I really love the train shots! You certainly keep this thread on track...

And to MIKE, CHE, and the whole GANG of party-goers... ¡Ay, caramba! I'm envious of your gatherings!!!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, I really love the train shots! You certainly keep this thread on track...
;)
The problem of "today" is the diversity. 15 years ago we had like 10 different diesel locomotives, 4 different electric locomotives... today it's like all cut in more than half.
Also the road-lobby is killing railroads for 40 years. I think I can add the dam-lobby since we lost one of the most scenic railroads of Europe to a dam (Tua line).
Narrow gauge (metric) is seen as a bad and ugly thing so we lost all but one (Vouga line) line that keeps being threatened to be closed for years. Too much unguarded crossings and too much stupid people that do not listen or see a 20km/h train coming.

My day to do "health & welfare" on the cows.

ja8eib.jpg

dcgg78.jpg

211w8e9.jpg

I smell mooonneey!

The hat AND the girls look terrific, Jack. About 20 head?
I spent a couple of years in college days working at a utility beef abattoir up north. Made a small killing at it...
We kept 22 over & sold the rest this month to pay some bills. The winter land lease is a coop so there are other cows in there as well. So I'm definitely hoping for a mild winter!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well this weekend I went to what was the "celebration" of 160 years of railroads and trains in Portugal at the what they call the "Railroad National Museum" (what a bad translation this it).
This time set usually was on the station building.
mnf01.jpg

This replica have all moving parts, don't know if it can be fired up.
mnf02.jpg

Now they choose to have the roundhouse only with steam locomotives, I'm not against it, but those are not safe from the elements since there is no door.
This is the only narrow gauge steam locomotive they have, it's a Mallet.
mnf03.jpg

Those are all iberian gauge.
mnf04.jpg

CP 357 is in bad cosmetic situation because it was exposed to the elements years after years inside the FERNAVE yard and since it closed (now it's a professional school) it were removed.
mnf05.jpg

CP 262 was also in the FERNAVE yard but it was more protected
mnf06.jpg

CP 005 was the only steam locomotive with a vertical boiler
mnf07.jpg

Behind CP 001 is CP004 known as "RATINHAS" (little mouse).
mnf08.jpg

The museum have a small train that represents the Diesel locomotive 1424. Since those locomotives are not yet withdrawn, this is the only "1400" the museum owns.
mnf09.jpg

There is a long track and the glass box is were it is stored
mnf10.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This is another steam locomotive that was in FERNAVE yard, it's a spanish made locomotive in really bad shape.
mnf11.jpg

Also in bad cosmetic shape is the first 25Kv 50Hz electric locomotive, CP2501. Those were retired when the Siemens CP4700 series started delivery. This is the only remaining example, all scraped. It was given to the museum in working order. Seems it broken down...
Next to it is the little railcar made by Nohab. Those ended their long journey in Alentejo. Those are what we call "war machines" because they could resist the heat. Those are the CP0100 series, most of them were sold to Argentina.
mnf12.jpg

Inside the diesel warehouse a model showdown was happening with Maquetren modules to run trains.
This is a CP1800 series. The museum have the remained example still in working order, number CP1805 but they never decide if they leave it with the orange livery or repaint it in the blue livery, so it's not in the museum compund, it's in Contumil works waiting waiting waiting...
mnf13.jpg

This model is a Fiat "Foguete" CP0500 series DMU. The unit that remains is too in Contumil works waiting and waiting for it's recovery
mnf14.jpg

The museum owns the model made of the "25 de Abril" bridge used to study and demonstrate the implementation of railroad on it. The bridge was prepared since 1966 for this but only on 1998 it was implemented.
mnf15.jpg

Because of the model showdown, some locomotives had to be moved out of the warehouse.
This is the Brissoneaut and Lotz CP1200 and the Sentinel-Rolls Royce CP1150.
mnf16.jpg

In a separate wing there is the Royal Train with the D. Luiz steam locomotive. It was used when the King/Queen travelled.
mnf17.jpg

mnf18.jpg

This is the last locomotive Whitcomb made, the CP1300 series. After those were finish, the factory closed. Also the first diesel locomotives to be withdrawn.
mnf19.jpg

This is a stainless steel body (Budd technology) electric locomotive CP2550 series. Very similar to the CP2500.
mnf20.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Another diesel railcar, this one is a diesel-electric Allan CP 0300. Those were modernised to CP0350. This one is railcar CP0304, was painted in the original livery for the 50 years of diesel in Portugal and because of that, saved for the musem. Sadly, it's dead.
mnf21.jpg

This is a shunter made by Drewry. CP1000 series. Also painted in original livery for the 50 years of diesel. After that it was used for some years and later dumped. Recently it was rescued. Needs to be repainted.
mnf22.jpg

Another shunter, this one made by General Electric. CP1100 series. Also painted in original livery for the 50 years of diesel.
mnf23.jpg

This is one of the 3 1500V CC electric locomotives from "Linha de Cascais". Those were made in the 20-30s and were used up to the 90's!
mnf24.jpg

This is a Alco diesel Electric locomotive, the first diesel locomotives in Portugal to replace steam locomotives. CP1500 series. Sadly it's dead. The diesel engine works but someone cut the traction cables and no one have to guts to replace them.
mnf25.jpg

When I was exiting, a pair of Siemens CP 5600 series were shunting.
mnf26.jpg

The museum have several Sorefame coaches and one Huansa sleep car. Also some cars from Wagon-Lits and Oriental express.
mnf27.jpg

Almost all rolling stock in this museum is in "dead" situation. It seems that only the English Electric CP1805 is in working condition but they never more release it from the Contumil works.
I forgot to took a picture of the "Presidential train", a set of coaches that were restored and now makes special and comemorative trains. The locomotive the museum always requests to pull this set of coaches is the English Electric CP 1424 that is painted in original blue livery. There is another CP1400 being painted in blue livery probably for the museum.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Keep em coming!
It's done.
I forgot to add that the Whitcomb locomotives were dumped at "Barreiro" and CP1311 was the one restored for the 50 years of diesel. This locomotive have 2 Superior diesel engines but one of them is not complete (there was a myth it only had saved 1 engine from scrap, but it have the 2).
The CP2550 is all stainless steel body. It have the cabs painted red once they were removed from passenger service and sent to make cargo trains to resemble the Siemens CP5600 livery. I don't like paint on stainless steel.
The Royal Train (Comboio Real) is well known in Europe. I think it was transported once to Holland (?) for a exibit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy