Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Eating out with friends, it's the way to go. Later, we did a dance bomb, that's to say, we just mingled with the crowds, then without warning, on went the music and we all did an impromptu jive. Bemused faces and the inevitable phone cameras followed.

Great looking group of folks G! You and the wife really look the part on a sunny day at the shore! Reminds me of the 50s era British series on TV I'm so fond of here in the states.

Sunshine, hats and MG's. I can't remember if I have shared this with you previously, put it down to age, I forget easily. Why only yesterday, she stood there in her stockings asking if her seems were straight. I gave her a knowing smile. "You've had that!" she said, rather indignantly. Do you know, I don't remember.
Gone of my thread now, oh yes, sunshine, hats and MG's. Have you read this silly ditty?

There was a time when motor cars were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts, which help you stay alive.
They had quirky things, like running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms that gave the direction true.

Our car is just like that in two tone fancy colour,
an MG of classic vintage, a real beauty to discover.
There's nothing more our car prefers than to show off in the sun,
and be photographed by one and all, she'll smile for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard, her body parts to plunder.
Despite her years, she's greatly loved, her lines to be admired,
and she still puts on a turn of speed to get the adreniline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go and keep up with the traffic,
but serious problems can arise, when all the cars are static.
The water in her engine boils and out the steam comes, hissing,
she doesn't have a temperature fan, but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there like modern cars today,
There's so much missing with vintage cars, it's the price you have to pay.
But for all the lack of equipment and of technology,
there's something intangible this car has, this lovely old MG.

It's that distinct smell of old car, of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance that's so captivating, it doesn't get much better.
Then there's her style and grace and beauty, and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have that comes by the bucket load.

Probably one of my top five favorite posts here on the Lounge. I am smiling from ear to ear. I'm not sure if you have ever given the specs on this beautiful old MG. I'm not up on my older vintage British cars. Does this car have a story?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if you have ever given the specs on this beautiful old MG. I'm not up on my older vintage British cars. Does this car have a story?
There could be a story, but if there's an historic story, I'm unaware of it. The story that I'm referring to is of the adventures that my wife, I and the car have had together since we took custody of our MG. There's a publication called MG Enthusiast that's asking readers for their MG adventures.
Since we have had the car, it's been on three professional modelling shoots, with, I might add, some very attractive young ladies, but more than held her own. The car has also been the subject of a local professional artist Richard Watkin, (click on Richard's link, you will be as surprised as I was.) We have taken three brides to their nuptials, My avatar is also an artist's impression, sadly I don't know the artist's name to give credit too, the result appeared on the classic car club's forthcoming meetings calendar. See here, for March 2015. You will need to scroll down about half a page. There is a second classic car meet called Classic Cars on the Prom, that we support, our MG featured on the front of their 2015 brochure. Frustratingly I cannot find it, you might try a search, but be warned their website is rather random and all over the place.
Our car has also been the subject of a students project, The Arts College of Bournemouth University had a number of students, studying film making and camera work, who did a six hour shoot for just a ninety second clip. That's an ongoing project and is still being edited.
There is a future project with a Swingtime era band called The Jive Aces, who will use the car in a promotional video. Two more modelling assignments have been booked. And, and, and.
bm1.jpg bm5.jpg
All this, and more I'm putting together in an article for MG Enthusiast, for consideration of publication. If successful I will keep you informed. Do click on all the links.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
There could be a story, but if there's an historic story, I'm unaware of it. The story that I'm referring to is of the adventures that my wife, I and the car have had together since we took custody of our MG. There's a publication called MG Enthusiast that's asking readers for their MG adventures.
Since we have had the car, it's been on three professional modelling shoots, with, I might add, some very attractive young ladies, but more than held her own. The car has also been the subject of a local professional artist Richard Watkin, (click on Richard's link, you will be as surprised as I was.) We have taken three brides to their nuptials, My avatar is also an artist's impression, sadly I don't know the artist's name to give credit too, the result appeared on the classic car club's forthcoming meetings calendar. See here, for March 2015. You will need to scroll down about half a page. There is a second classic car meet called Classic Cars on the Prom, that we support, our MG featured on the front of their 2015 brochure. Frustratingly I cannot find it, you might try a search, but be warned their website is rather random and all over the place.
Our car has also been the subject of a students project, The Arts College of Bournemouth University had a number of students, studying film making and camera work, who did a six hour shoot for just a ninety second clip. That's an ongoing project and is still being edited.
There is a future project with a Swingtime era band called The Jive Aces, who will use the car in a promotional video. Two more modelling assignments have been booked. And, and, and.
View attachment 72143 View attachment 72144
All this, and more I'm putting together in an article for MG Enthusiast, for consideration of publication. If successful I will keep you informed. Do click on all the links.
Man, this exudes cool from every pore. Wonderful stuff, GHT!

View attachment 72143 View attachment 72144
Thanks for this, having a true classic like this is a joy. Wish I had room in the garage for something like it. One thing, you didn't tell us what year MG this is, it looks to be post war, but just barely. What engine? I couldn't get the MG Enthusiast link to work for me, I'll have to Google magic it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One thing, you didn't tell us what year MG this is, it looks to be post war, but just barely. What engine? I couldn't get the MG Enthusiast link to work for me, I'll have to Google magic it.
Thanks everyone for your kind compliments. Red, I didn't post any details because it can deflect from the original thread, but I will give you a couple of details. Here in the UK, once a car reaches three years old, it's compulsory to have it subjected to an annual mechanical evaluation test. A test we all know as the MOT. But vehicles 40 years or older are exempt, but you can still have the test done if you wish. See the garage's reaction to our MG here. Scroll down.
Then go onto Wiki and search for MG YB, it will give you all the details. The car was designed in 1937, prototypes built and tested, production planned for 1939/40. It was then mothballed until after WW2, when production recommenced. It ended in 1952.

Thanks everyone for your kind compliments. Red, I didn't post any details because it can deflect from the original thread, but I will give you a couple of details. Here in the UK, once a car reaches three years old, it's compulsory to have it subjected to an annual mechanical evaluation test. A test we all know as the MOT. But vehicles 40 years or older are exempt, but you can still have the test done if you wish. See the garage's reaction to our MG here. Scroll down.
Then go onto Wiki and search for MG YB, it will give you all the details. The car was designed in 1937, prototypes built and tested, production planned for 1939/40. It was then mothballed until after WW2, when production recommenced. It ended in 1952.
I thought it was a YB, I'm not up on my older MGs, but now I have something to research! Now back to hats...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You DO have fun in hats, @GHT !!
On the day of the shoot with the model in the car, either adjusting the mirror, or checking her make up, I wore my classic 1940's three piece suit. I must compliment the young lady for saying to me: "I'm supposed to be the model." She was a lovely girl and a real credit to her parents. I tried to keep a low profile but the young lady wanted a shot to show her Granddad, whom she tells me, always dresses so dapper.

jessica on poole quay 7.jpg

I know a spot that produces arrowheads & points from time to time, especially after heavy rains. Accessible only by river it is always a good excuse to take out my canoe with my dog & hunt for a few hrs. Unfortunately however, it didn't produce anything today.

Wearing my Akubra Cattleman I paddled quietly past mushroom hunters in the woods.

3deceeb44e.jpg

3dece31b8f.jpg

3dece8ec1c.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wearing my Akubra Cattleman I paddled quietly past mushroom hunters in the woods.

3deceeb44e.jpg

3dece31b8f.jpg

3dece8ec1c.jpg
A fine hat Bob, I love the idea of mushroom foraging. I tend to hunt mine in the supermarket, that way I know I will wake up in the morning.

Does the little guy have a name? He's stealing your limelight in that hat.

Period car, period suit and matching shoes and hat. Still can't upstage the car.
robmg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24