Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I know that and you know that, but I still hope I gave Anthony the heebie-jeebies!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
nah... big things like that don't get me ... it's the little f#%*ers that will get in my shoes or hide under a rock I may be sitting next to

I worked at a place called Cartoon Color in LA for a long time ... they make equipment for the old style cel animation ... well the old warehouse was infested with black widow spiders ... those deadly little bastards will hide in every little nook and pop out when you least expect them

that is the $#!t I'm talking about

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I know that and you know that, but I still hope I gave Anthony the heebie-jeebies!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Ah..... hehehehe....

I have actually gone out "hunting" for those with bad flashlights and worse footwear; on a coral island, no less. We got lost for about an hour, sliced our feet up on the rocks, but came back with some good eats. All between about 2 a.m. - 4 a.m.

One of the tiniest crabs got loose from his vine "shackles" and bit me through the burlap bag in which I had him and about 30 others. My buddy couldn't figure out what happened... all of a sudden I yelped, threw my entire bag of crabs on the ground and crashed my bicycle. Blood blister was the result, right there on my right index finger. Bloomin' little beggar! I was just glad it wasn't one of the bigger guys. I could have lost a finger!

Here I am getting the drinks!

i-XdbZvrB.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Ghiffa is a small village on the north west shore of Lake Maggiore
dmu2kk.jpg

It has been home with Intra, now Verbania, to some of the most popular hat factories in Italy
nv1vrd.jpg

At the beginning of the century it was the realm of the "Cappellificio Albertini" the first founded (1807) among modern manufacturers of hats in Italy.
Others were in the area and Panizza, Albertini pupil, founded in the mid nineteenth century its factory for the production of hats
2vw61ci.jpg

The building remained in its current form after its closure in 1981
2zqy2yq.jpg

Now it is a residence, a family accommodation and storage facilities for motorboats
v3g3sj.jpg

Across the road, which leads in Switzerland, was located the ancient laboratory for forms wood, now the hat museum
fdsor4.jpg

The visit of mid-March allowed us to see a part of the machinery used for the production of hats.
Steve has created many interesting photographs.
Here you see the views that workers watched while they were intent on shaping the famous felts in Italy and Europe
a2z0is.jpg

Mid lake
1pfqmo.jpg

For those who are looking for a bow for their new hat here are the bows that Panizza has used during his, more than hundreds years of life
w7bkfl.jpg

You will have a plenty of choices;)
dg2fyo.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
dmu2kk.jpg

It has been home with Intra, now Verbania, to some of the most popular hat factories in Italy
nv1vrd.jpg

At the beginning of the century it was the realm of the "Cappellificio Albertini" the first founded (1807) among modern manufacturers of hats in Italy.
Others were in the area and Panizza, Albertini pupil, founded in the mid nineteenth century its factory for the production of hats
2vw61ci.jpg

2zqy2yq.jpg

Now it is a residence, a family accommodation and storage facilities for motorboats
v3g3sj.jpg

Across the road, which leads in Switzerland, was located the ancient laboratory for forms wood, now the hat museum
fdsor4.jpg

The visit of mid-March allowed us to see a part of the machinery used for the production of hats.
Here you see the views that workers watched while they were intent on shaping the famous felts in Italy and Europe
a2z0is.jpg

Mid lake
1pfqmo.jpg

For those who are looking for a bow for their new hat here are the bows that Panizza has used during his, more than hundreds years of life
w7bkfl.jpg

dg2fyo.jpg
Great pictorial, Daniele!

dmu2kk.jpg

Mid lake

Super shots, Daniele! Thanks for posting.

dmu2kk.jpg

nv1vrd.jpg

2vw61ci.jpg

2zqy2yq.jpg

v3g3sj.jpg

fdsor4.jpg

a2z0is.jpg

Mid lake
1pfqmo.jpg

w7bkfl.jpg

dg2fyo.jpg
Again, a real treat to see the beauty of Italy. It is truly Hat Mecca. Thank you for brightening my day Daniele!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
We went on a road trip over the weekend. It was to attend a Celebration of Life, so that part of the journey was not especially "fun," but I know Mark would have wanted all involved to have a blast. He instructed his wife to have everyone wear Hawaiian shirts or sports related clothing as he loved sports and was point man in getting the high school where he taught to adopt a Casual Friday rule.

The drive over and back was an adventure in and of itself, with all kinds of great scenery and history along the way. We had a fun dinner the night before and we had fun taking a few pictures from the car with cell phones.

We woke up to news of a wind storm with 45 mph gusts and concurrent rain... and an appointment for a crown at the dentist's office in Salem, Oregon, which already had 5,000 customers without electricity due to the high winds. The office was open for business, and we spent 2 hours there. Just stopping for gas got my Penman Everyman hat a little wet.

i-3sgtKSf-XL.jpg

We got to Umatilla, Oregon, and checked into the hotel and then went to a family-owned Mexican restaurant that had some of the best carne asada I've ever had (with apologies to my Dominican brother-in-law).

i-sJpzmLH-XL.jpg

We didn't really take pictures at the memorial service despite the somewhat jovial atmosphere. Picking up snacks for the return trip, we ran across this little gem. I thought they'd taste like crap. I was wrong. They are ridiculously addictive.

i-7wdbcPf-L.jpg

Heading home, again along the Columbia river, we were treated with sights the cell phones just can't capture. I-84, westbound.

i-9WtgVW2-XL.jpg

There are points along the way where train tracks also run along the river.

i-J9mdLg3-XL.jpg

Wind farms are scattered across some areas, as the wind rarely stops blowing in the Columbia River Gorge. We missed pics of wind surfers and sailboarders, who come from all over the place to take advantage of the winds there.

i-4HFwMp8-L.jpg

The sage brush and tumble weeds disappear, and greenery returns as we close in on Hood River and Portland.

i-8TC8k2f-XL.jpg

i-Vj4pdM6-XL.jpg

Just a couple hat pics when we stopped at the Memaloose rest area.
MrsFed in her oilskin Outback hat.

i-ZhJwrhs-XL.jpg

I took four hats with me, and used three... the Penman Everyman in granite felt (posted above), my Outback oilskin hat, and this Falcon Park silverbelly with blue ribbon and bow; the Hawaiian shirt is left over from the Celebration of Life. The NW Hats western conversion rode shotgun but was not pressed into service.

i-hsSFkns-XL.jpg

As we got into Portland, the rain, the wind, and the lousy traffic returned. A nice trip, mainly because we spent so much time together... and we got to honor a good man. Godspeed, Mark.

i-t87XVDL-XL.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Birthday fun, Mexican lunch and Izzy's buffet for dinner. Birthday coupons all day!
Eating out with friends, it's the way to go. Later, we did a dance bomb, that's to say, we just mingled with the crowds, then without warning, on went the music and we all did an impromptu jive. Bemused faces and the inevitable phone cameras followed.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sunshine, hats and MG's. I can't remember if I have shared this with you previously, put it down to age, I forget easily. Why only yesterday, she stood there in her stockings asking if her seems were straight. I gave her a knowing smile. "You've had that!" she said, rather indignantly. Do you know, I don't remember.
Gone of my thread now, oh yes, sunshine, hats and MG's. Have you read this silly ditty?

There was a time when motor cars were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts, which help you stay alive.
They had quirky things, like running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms that gave the direction true.

Our car is just like that in two tone fancy colour,
an MG of classic vintage, a real beauty to discover.
There's nothing more our car prefers than to show off in the sun,
and be photographed by one and all, she'll smile for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard, her body parts to plunder.
Despite her years, she's greatly loved, her lines to be admired,
and she still puts on a turn of speed to get the adreniline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go and keep up with the traffic,
but serious problems can arise, when all the cars are static.
The water in her engine boils and out the steam comes, hissing,
she doesn't have a temperature fan, but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there like modern cars today,
There's so much missing with vintage cars, it's the price you have to pay.
But for all the lack of equipment and of technology,
there's something intangible this car has, this lovely old MG.

It's that distinct smell of old car, of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance that's so captivating, it doesn't get much better.
Then there's her style and grace and beauty, and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have that comes by the bucket load.

Sunshine, hats and MG's. I can't remember if I have shared this with you previously, put it down to age, I forget easily. Why only yesterday, she stood there in her stockings asking if her seems were straight. I gave her a knowing smile. "You've had that!" she said, rather indignantly. Do you know, I don't remember.
Gone of my thread now, oh yes, sunshine, hats and MG's. Have you read this silly ditty?

There was a time when motor cars were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts, which help you stay alive.
They had quirky things, like running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms that gave the direction true.

Our car is just like that in two tone fancy colour,
an MG of classic vintage, a real beauty to discover.
There's nothing more our car prefers than to show off in the sun,
and be photographed by one and all, she'll smile for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard, her body parts to plunder.
Despite her years, she's greatly loved, her lines to be admired,
and she still puts on a turn of speed to get the adreniline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go and keep up with the traffic,
but serious problems can arise, when all the cars are static.
The water in her engine boils and out the steam comes, hissing,
she doesn't have a temperature fan, but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there like modern cars today,
There's so much missing with vintage cars, it's the price you have to pay.
But for all the lack of equipment and of technology,
there's something intangible this car has, this lovely old MG.

It's that distinct smell of old car, of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance that's so captivating, it doesn't get much better.
Then there's her style and grace and beauty, and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have that comes by the bucket load.

Excellent, fantastic fountain of fast and furious FUN photos, folks!! And a wonderful work of word-smithery!!!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Eating out with friends, it's the way to go. Later, we did a dance bomb, that's to say, we just mingled with the crowds, then without warning, on went the music and we all did an impromptu jive. Bemused faces and the inevitable phone cameras followed.

What a hoot, GHT! Both events. Ferociously fab-tastic fun! Looks like a group I'd really enjoy hanging out with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24