Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Not the best photo, but in the distance is "the heaviest corner on earth". At the turn of the last century Birmingham was one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. The four tall buildings on each corner of this intersection were built between 1906 and 1912 if I am remembering right

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379254832287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379254832287.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 576
This might be the wrong place for this, as technically I was wearing a ball cap not a fedora, but thought it might be of interest. Stopped by this place during lunch today. BonTon Hatters, a relic from Birminghams past. Mostly shoe repair these days I think. The man said $15 to clean and block. I asked about replacing the sweat and he said he can't get them anymore. Considering you can find pretty much anything on the internet these days with very little effort, I took that to mean he didn't really want to fool with it. Still, 15 bucks is worth a clean &block so I'll be pitching him some business.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379354193967.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379354193967.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 543
Disney Gadabout, a little rumpled from a lot of on and offs, in a film made for the Royal Observatory Greenwich's Astronomy Photographer of the Year contest. I was a runner-up.

[video=vimeo;74280697]https://vimeo.com/74280697[/video]

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Brilliant, Alan! Call me crazy but that gave me goosebumps. One of the most inspiring things I've seen here, and well executed. The Disney seems like an appropriate companion, somehow.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Alan, wonderful Video, very inspiring and professional filmed. You don't won the contest
If I understood it right. Why? You photos and work are unbelievable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks very much... I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Since you all know what I look like, I thought sharing my voice wouldn't be too much of a shock. :) Jeff, your note reminds me of the great video you posted of your native American inspired performance, which was just as much of a joy to see. Manfred, thank you for the appreciation. I believe 14,000 images are submitted for this recognition, so second place in my category is a great honor. Very hard to beat a beautiful solar eclipse - something I've never seen in person, but look forward to witnessing in 2017 in Louisville and 2024 - in Buffalo!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Alan, awesome and inspiring video. I remember the first time I saw Saturn like it was yesterday. I had a new refractor, just a smaller cheap one with a decent magnification, and I had just been randomly selecting objects to look at. I randomly picked one point of light in the southern sky through the low power spotting scope, looked through the main telescope and thought I had just found a magnificent elliptical galaxy. After a little focusing I realized I had accidentally spotted Saturn and its magnificent system of rings! That was one of those moments that takes your breath away. The realization that those things that we read about and see pictures of in books actually exist and are there to enjoy and marvel about on our own was overwhelming. Thanks for sharing the video and reminding me of what childlike wonder feels like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails