Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

20230813_094018.jpg
20230813_095147.jpg
20230813_104315.jpg
20230813_122034.jpg
20230813_122159.jpg

Did a little Sunday driving yesterday. First two pics are of Nectar Falls, a nice little cascade near the town of Nectar, AL that flows into the Locust Fork Branch of the Black Warrior River. Third pic is up the road a bit, Mardis Mill Fall near Blountsville AL. The creek they are on also flows into the Locust Fork Branch. Next pic is a little further up the road, of Lake Guntersville, as seen from the veranda of the state park lodge. Lake Guntersville is the largest in the state and is fed by the Tennessee River. Last shot is a black turkey vulture who was completely unbothered by our presence.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That's one place in north America still on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

Victoria, British Columbia. I’m on my way to Campbell River and my wife is staying at my sister’s vacation house on a small island off of Sydney. Hope to post fish photos later…Campbell River is called the salmon capitol of the world.

View attachment 535573

The view from my sister’s dining room and the front porch. Having family with money is almost as good as having it yourself…almost. :)

View attachment 535574 View attachment 535575

Who?

Practically Family
Being didactic, i’d say your statement just defined pedantic perfectly.
The “not” does not refute.
But thanks, i’m goin with damn buzzard.
If you check, you may find that “Buzzard” refers to an entirely different bird in Europe.

A better, and more universal, term might be “Vulture”.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
If you check, you may find that “Buzzard” refers to an entirely different bird in Europe.

A better, and more universal, term might be “Vulture”.
Yeah, i read Wiki too.
I’m going with what our early American colonists used.
I think they came over here to escape rigid thinking and confining customs, so buzzard gets the point across without invoking Linnaeus.
But thanks anyway.
B

Sonora Pass and 10 miles either side of it. The 105 degrees at home sent me to the hills. 62 degrees and light on and off sprinkles = GLORIOUS! There was more glacial silt in the middle fork of the Stanislaus River than I’ve ever seen before. The West Walker River had about 4” of visibility. The fishing wasn’t great, but the scenery and the weather was perfect. The Pass just opened a couple weeks ago due to the crazy amount of snow we got a few months ago.

IMG_3118.jpeg
IMG_3119.jpeg
IMG_3127.jpeg
IMG_3134.jpeg
IMG_3133.jpeg
IMG_3141.jpeg
IMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3147.jpeg
IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_3162.jpeg

This is just a few miles from the Marine Corps cold weather training site. Warm sunny California my @$&#.

Edit: the hat is my most recent Northwest.

Last edited:
Sonora Pass and 10 miles either side of it. The 105 degrees at home sent me to the hills. 62 degrees and light on and off sprinkles = GLORIOUS! There was more glacial silt in the middle fork of the Stanislaus River than I’ve ever seen before. The West Walker River had about 4” of visibility. The fishing wasn’t great, but the scenery and the weather was perfect. The Pass just opened a couple weeks ago due to the crazy amount of snow we got a few months ago.

View attachment 540787 View attachment 540788 View attachment 540789 View attachment 540790 View attachment 540791 View attachment 540792 View attachment 540793 View attachment 540794 View attachment 540795 View attachment 540796

This is just a few miles from the Marine Corps cold weather training site. Warm sunny California my @$&#.

Edit: the hat is my most recent Northwest.
Great pics Brent! I envy you those views.

And temperatures.

Great pics Brent! I envy you those views.

And temperatures.

Thanks, Dale. All the photos were taken within 200 yards of the highway: it’s just a beautiful drive.

The weather was perfect, but the water was COLD. I was in waders and I had a fleece liner, and it was still too cold for me. When you can see the glacier at the headwaters then you have to expect it to be cold, but this was bitter cold today.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Thanks, Dale. All the photos were taken within 200 yards of the highway: it’s just a beautiful drive.

The weather was perfect, but the water was COLD. I was in waders and I had a fleece liner, and it was still too cold for me. When you can see the glacier at the headwaters then you have to expect it to be cold, but this was bitter cold today.
Beautiful! Pretty sure I’ve seen some Westerns filmed against that landscape?

Hi, Dangit, I lived in Huntsville in the 1980's and Decatur in the 1990's. I went to Guntersville a few times and Bankhead National Forest a lot. Never made it to Grant though. The Kinlock Shelter was cool.
later
Grant is near Guntersville. This natural bridge is just over the lake on the main drag between Huntsville and Guntersville. You probably wouldn't recognize the drive these days, there's so much development.

And yes, Kinlock is great. There's so much to see in the Bankhead forest. I've spent a lot of time there and haven't come close to seeing it all.

The Shoe

One Too Many
This was at the di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art in the Napa Valley. They have a some pretty big indoor galleries with some cool displays from local Northern California artists mostly from the late 1960's and 1970's.... so yes, hippie stuff before my time. These pics are from the outdoor park/gardens.

View attachment 541740 View attachment 541741 View attachment 541742 View attachment 541743
Love the pictures. I hope you enjoyed some great wine while you were there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24