Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir?

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I just watched "The Big Sleep" for the first time yesterday.Can`t believe I had never seen this film noir gem! Great flick and Bogie was sporting a nice fedora.

Anybody have an idea what brand and/or model that fedora was?

Also I have noticed on many of the film noir pictures you don`t see feathers on their hats.Interesting.

HMH

Atomic Age

Practically Family
HosManHatter said:
I just watched "The Big Sleep" for the first time yesterday.Can`t believe I had never seen this film noir gem! Great flick and Bogie was sporting a nice fedora.

Anybody have an idea what brand and/or model that fedora was?

Also I have noticed on many of the film noir pictures you don`t see feathers on their hats.Interesting.

HMH

I know that in The Maltese Falcon, Bogart was wearing his own suits and hats, which was pretty common in those days for films that were not "costume dramas". It could very well be the same hat in both films. I have no idea what brand though.

I think most Americans probably thought that feathers were for sissies.

Doug

anon`

One Too Many
According to this thread over yonder, he wore a Royal Stetson St Regis in The Big Sleep. There is speculation that he may have worn a Resistol or Cavanagh in The Maltese Falcon (you can glimpse the liner, without much detail, in the scene in the DA's office).
Not sure that the latter was ever definitively determined, however.

Regarding feathers, I don't think I've ever seen one in a man's hat in a period film before.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
anon` said:
According to this thread over yonder, he wore a Royal Stetson St Regis in The Big Sleep. There is speculation that he may have worn a Resistol or Cavanagh in The Maltese Falcon (you can glimpse the liner, without much detail, in the scene in the DA's office).
Not sure that the latter was ever definitively determined, however.

Regarding feathers, I don't think I've ever seen one in a man's hat in a period film before.

Interesting. The Maltese Falcon in going to be released on blu-ray this year. Maybe we'll be able to read the label inside the hat there.

Doug

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Went to the L.A. Film Noir Festival in Hollywood last Saturday and saw Red Light (1949), an entry in the little-known sub-genre of "Religious Noir." George Raft starred as trucking magnate John Torno, obssesed with tracking down the killer of his Army chaplain/priest brother. Raymond Burr and Harry Morgan were there to get in the way, of course. Raft was was wonderfully one-noted in his "portrayal." In one scene, Raft patiently listens to a blinded veteran speak of how a chance meeting with a Bible (which Raft is desperately seeking in connection with his brother's death) and a window cleaner kept him from committing suicide. After the vet concludes his uplifting story, Raft tersely says, "I'm happy for you," and then begins to cross-examine not only the blind man about said Bible, but his fiancee and mother as well! Some syrupy moments, but recommended anyway.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Went to the L.A. Film Noir Festival in Hollywood last Saturday and saw Red Light (1949), an entry in the little-known sub-genre of "Religious Noir." George Raft starred as trucking magnate John Torno, obssesed with tracking down the killer of his Army chaplain/priest brother. Raymond Burr and Harry Morgan were there to get in the way, of course. Raft was was wonderfully one-noted in his "portrayal." In one scene, Raft patiently listens to a blinded veteran speak of how a chance meeting with a Bible (which Raft is desperately seeking in connection with his brother's death) and a window cleaner kept him from committing suicide. After the vet concludes his uplifting story, Raft tersely says, "I'm happy for you," and then begins to cross-examine not only the blind man about said Bible, but his fiancee and mother as well! Some syrupy moments, but recommended anyway.

WB,

Would Dead Reckoning fall into this sub-genre. Or more recently, True Confessions?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Wally_Hood said:
WB,

Would Dead Reckoning fall into this sub-genre. Or more recently, True Confessions?

I 'm not sure about the first film, W_H, although the flashback is conducted through confession to a priest. The second certainly does qualify, since a main character is a priest, and the plot does (partly) deal with corruption in the Roman Catholic Church in L.A.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Warner is releasing Film Noir Classic Collection, Volume 5 in July. Looks like an interesting group of films.

http://laurasmiscmusings.blogspot.com/2010/04/coming-to-dvd-film-noir-classic.html

FilmNoir5.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I have to say I really enjoyed this montage!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOgBa2Oij1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOgBa2Oij1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just been involved in a Film Noir photo shoot...

And YOU THOUGHT the cops were the GOOD GUYS...?...!!! Think again...

...with Mr 'H' as the character SANDMAN. Ross Weldron choreographed and photographed and was just extremely professional and a joy to work with!

32483_123661280986951_1000002923959.jpg

NOIR4.jpg

NOIR2.jpg

NOIR5.jpg

NOIR1.jpg

Corto

A-List Customer
I've only skimmed this thread, so my apologies to anyone who's mentioned "Thieves' Highway" and "Night and the City".

Both are excellent, must see, gritty crime movies. I think that "Night and the City" (starring Richard Widmark) is his best role and one the penultimate film noir movies. Both were directed by Jules Dassin.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Terrific stuff Paddy. Beautifully done. With these, you and Mr. H are now officially film noir STARS!

PADDY said:
...with Mr 'H' as the character SANDMAN. Ross Weldron choreographed and photographed and was just extremely professional and a joy to work with!
NOIR4.jpg

NOIR2.jpg

NOIR5.jpg

NOIR1.jpg

Hi Paddy!

Some swell shots there looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, Saturday evening at the FL-QME a guy had walked by the group as we headed for dinner and from behind I thought it was you! For a moment I thought we were going to have a guest appearence!

Best wishes!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Awwwww....

Wish it had been John. The photos and the lights of Long Beach brought back many happy memories for me there! Sadly it wasn't to be 'this' year.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks.

But the 'REAL' Star is Rosco, who came up with the whole concept, did the story boarding, choreographed it and photographed. He's done some amazing work!! ALL shot in Dublin by the way, not Chicago or LA!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy