Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally caved in and got a Fed IV

James71

A-List Customer
You know, one of the big downfalls of living in Katoomba just minutes walk from hats direct (the Hattery for us locals) is the danger of impulse buys. I always go in there "just for a look" and end up with one of those familiar white and brown boxes tucked under my arm and a wallet a good deal lighter.

Ive been wanting a good brown hat for a while and have been tossing up between the Fed IV and a few other models. (I love the wind trolley on the Fedora)

Anywho, I wandered in there for a coffee this morning (just for a look) and Trudy finally managed to talk me into a Fed IV in the beautiful Heritage felt.

Ive got to say its by far the nicest felt of all my hats, and took the bash pretty much dry with just a tad of steam at the end to smooth everything out.

I reckon it will get plenty of wear and take some of the pressure off the Squatter which has been on my head nearly every day.....

Pics for the Fed IV lovers:-

ce5cc4c8.jpg

4984ef99.jpg

2e0a7bb8.jpg

9f163c2e.jpg

A few good rain storms and some adventurin' and this one should be right on the money.

James

Gromulus

Practically Family
Looks great on you James! I have a brown Fed IV as well (standard grade) and it seems to be very versatile, splitting the line between dress and casual. I really like the dimensional brim as well.

Of course with your height and build you will probably get the inevitable Indy comments!

The moonstone FED IV is also on my short list.

Enjoy!

Edward

Bartender
Nice hat. I have two Fed IIIs, and am keen to add some IVs to my collection. My Feds are among my favourites of all my hats, new and vintage, and get probably more wear than any of the others.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I just wish I lived that close to The Hattery. My will will probably not share that wish though.

And the heritage felt Fed IV is certainly worth the extra cost - I have two of them (in brown and heritage fawn) and they are my favourite hats.

carcassi

New in Town
Nice Fed! I've got a moonstone Fed deluxe and love it. Only problem is I don't get a chance to wear it too often because it really isn't a casual color. I just ordered a cattleman in bluegrass green for something a little different.

James71

A-List Customer
Tell em I sent you, Sam. I swear I should be on commission with them!

(I can't complain, they give me great service)

A moonstone one is on my wish list...

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
You know, one of the big downfalls of living in Katoomba just minutes walk from hats direct (the Hattery for us locals) is the danger of impulse buys. I always go in there "just for a look" and end up with one of those familiar white and brown boxes tucked under my arm and a wallet a good deal lighter.

Ive been wanting a good brown hat for a while and have been tossing up between the Fed IV and a few other models. (I love the wind trolley on the Fedora)

Anywho, I wandered in there for a coffee this morning (just for a look) and Trudy finally managed to talk me into a Fed IV in the beautiful Heritage felt.

Ive got to say its by far the nicest felt of all my hats, and took the bash pretty much dry with just a tad of steam at the end to smooth everything out.

I reckon it will get plenty of wear and take some of the pressure off the Squatter which has been on my head nearly every day.....

Pics for the Fed IV lovers:-

9f163c2e.jpg

A few good rain storms and some adventurin' and this one should be right on the money.

James

Looks good on you James71. You are lucky to be able to browse and buy like that locally. I think if I had a hat shop like that around here I would actually have fewer hats as I would be able to try them on, compare them and buy just what I like. Wait, who am I kidding? :eusa_doh:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Good hat James!

The Heritage Felt is worth the extra freight in my view. If you feel inclined, consider one in the fawn color - it's a classic I think and nice for warmer weather, but then it's not summer down your way, is it!

The Deluxe Feds are only better for beating. I've seriously mauled all four of mine on purpose to soften them up, and they only got better as the stiffener broke down a bit. Not in the same league as some of my vintage hats, but these are way more replaceable and very serviceable so they get used.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24