Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Bluechel

Practically Family

Jiaward

One of the Regulars
That’s an unusual Windward. Where’s the original link?
It’s not a Windward either. Just found in pocket.
IMG_6567.jpeg

Bluechel

Practically Family
Something is rotten with that jacket. The size tag alone is bizarre and the generic HH tag looks like it was copped from another jacket. The jacket in question reminds me of the later era JC Penny pattern from the 60’s. Looks to be the last of this line:
View attachment 543215 View attachment 543216
And it should’ve had this tag:
View attachment 543217
The jacket you linked feels like an attempt at a money grab with an HH tag added after death.
Zippers would have told more of the story but seller too annoyed to answer....RUN!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Zippers would have told more of the story but seller too annoyed to answer....RUN!
You can clearly see the main zip, it's the generic type you see a lot on '60s jackets of mediocre quality, think of 60s Excelled.

The leather looks like cheap 60s steerhide. So like @ton312 already mentioned the horsehide label probably doesn't belong to the jacket. What else would you want to know?

1693409421396.png

Bluechel

Practically Family
You can clearly see the main zip, it's the generic type you see a lot on '60s jackets of mediocre quality, think of 60s Excelled.

The leather looks like cheap 60s steerhide. So like @ton312 already mentioned the horsehide label probably doesn't belong to the jacket. What else would you want to know?

View attachment 543341
That's where I was going here...thanks for confirming! Label has been seen everywhere, NOS weird history...

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This is a mediocre jacket in the same vain as Excelled. Excelled made lower quality Horsehide labeled jackets, but this does not look like one. I belive the label is original, just lower quality materials.
It seems like that HH label is off center----which is part of what is being said about the potentially shadiness. To me, the leather looks mostly unremarkable regardless of the hide.

That a person would take the time to stitch in a non original HH label into a jacket is a new level of shadiness in this hobby if this is truly what we are looking at. We have been seeing the FRAUD websites with photos of OUR OWN jackets listed for $78.52 and we have seen the people who sell jackets here in the FL that they don't actually own---on fake AND hacked accounts. I never thought I'd see the day (Honestly---never thought I'd see that day that I would say, "I never thought I'd see the day"---but here we are) where someone would stitch a label from another jacket for financial gain.

Its just seems so not worth it to me. As far as scams go, this isn't exactly low hanging fruit---Preying on an obscure hobby with a fairly limited following. There are plenty of legit GOOD jackets offered at fair prices that don't fly off the electronic shelves. Every jacket that's "vintage" isn't a slam dunk sale. Everything that says Horsehide is not just automatically rare and desirable. Not if you've been around this hobby and learned anything. Perhaps the jacket was relined and the label was simply badly re-sewn?? I have a jacket that has a bit of this going on but I do know that it was relined. That may be too much wishful thinking though strolling along the high road.

This jacket has the feel of something not being right but it does look a lot like the Penny's jacket @ton312 posted. Epaulettes look different from Excelled IMO. But to echo @tmitchell59, it does seem to be in that same quality/value tier.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I want to thank you all for the insight, perspective and detail and the time you took. I do love that we have a place like this to get granular and to have people share what I consider important knowledge and information. There’s a lot of BS out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis