Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Hat Primer

fmw

One Too Many
I was in the mood to write this evening so I put up the beginning of a primer on fine hats on my blog. Check it out here if you have the time and let me know if you think it is worth finishing.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
An excellent article, fmw. It teaches the fundamentals that every aspiring fine hat wearer should know (perfect for a rookie like myself :) ) in a clear, well paced, friendly fashion with great pictures.
A little rough at the very end. Might want to clean it up with a conclusion or a "to be continued...".

Absolutely worth finishing. I would love to learn more.

--

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. It has no conclusion. I just wrote until I got tired and published it. I'll keep at it. Lefty, Thanks for the correction. I'll reword that.

fmw

One Too Many
Typo, indeed. Thanks. I haven't yet applied a spell checker to it even though the spell checker wouldn't have caught that one.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's great, Fred! A perfect introduction-- wish I had read that a few years ago before I jumped in the water with no knowledge whatsoever!

Re: your homburg photo-- I've been under the impression that the pictured crease is simply a "center crease" where a center dent would imply a crease down the middle with two forward dents. I could easily be mistaken, however.

bostonbrewer

New in Town
Great article and very useful for me since I'm just starting out with fine hats. If you ever look to add additional materials into your article, as bowlerman said, perhaps some definitions. What is a center crease, a center dent, an "indy"? What is a stingy brim (just a short 1.5" or less brim)?? Why can some hats have their brim repositioned and others either just flop around, or are stiff and can't move (is it the quality of the felt)??

I'm still learning, and your article was very helpful, thank you.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Very easy to read enjoyable article.I like the common sense approach you take,not only in your blog,but your postings as well.While I don't always agree 100% with your point of view (98% would be close),I always look forward to reading what you have to say, and usually learn somthing.Thanks.

It is a wonderful start. Proof reading is always best when at some point you have others do it because if you are like me, you hear it in your head the way it is supposed to be and can gloss over errors without picking them up when re-reading.

If you see pictures of modern Open Road hats from Stetson they have a center dent but have side dents in what some term a Cattleman's Crease. The same crease does get used on fedora type hats. I know I have seen Shemp Howard with the Cattleman's Crease and I think maybe Pres. Truman. If you look at the WWII and before pictures of the Presidents and the cabinette that crease comes on fairly regularly.

If you see pictures of modern Open Road hats from Stetson they have a center dent but have side dents in what some term a Cattleman's Crease. The same crease does get used on fedora type hats. I know I have seen Shemp Howard with the Cattleman's Crease and I think maybe Pres. Truman. If you look at the WWII and before pictures of the Presidents and the cabinette that crease comes on fairly regularly.

aka Alpine crease

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

FDR too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn