Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishnet stockings--when did they first appear?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I've been wondering, when did fishnet stockings first appear? With some of the threads talking about wearing them, I'm curious when they were first made. My hubby thinks in the 80s (I remember Madonna making them famous), but I think they were earlier. Any stocking historians out there?

Faye Valentine

I'm not sure as to the exact time they were made/invented but I can assure you it's WAY before the 80s. I have a magazine with Gene Tierney on the cover. I believe it's a 1941 issue. There's a page with ladies wearing some kind of uniform (i don't recall. the last time i looked at the magazine was 4 months ago) and all the women were wearing fishnet stockings. I will try to scan it once I get home. I think some part of the page will be cut off due to the fact that the magazines back then were GI-NORMOUS (compared to the ones these days)! haha!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Apparently they got to the US in 1908:

1908 - The "directoire" or "sheath" dress arrives from Paris. The first woman in Chicago to wear one has to be rescued from the crowd by police, but despite difficulties in walking, slim dresses without petticoats become popular. Also popular is the song "Katie Keath, she wears a sheath/ With very little underneath." The first fishnet stockings arrive from Paris in this year as well.

I don't know how long they were being worn in Paris or other locales before that. They seem like something that Victorian women would have worn to me, since they liked mesh gloves, but maybe not.

Redlights

New in Town
Fishnets were done as early as the 1870s. I can't remember my source for that, but I do remember it in a primary source...I think it was a picture of "working" ladies and the fishnet's gaps were really large. They have come in and out of vogue througout the years and only came into popular vision when hemlines started rising.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Jitterbug doll had a nice answer to this question, but I can't remember it--possibly something to do with saving nylon materials during war-time, etc.

Let's see if we can page her with an answer.

Jitterbug doll--yoo hoo!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Here is her post on another thread about fishnets:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=141607&postcount=3

:)

I was leafing through I book I have on stockings and garters and it noted that fishnets were usually used only by performers or prostitutes. I'm guessing this is primarily speaking of pre-1920's. I have seen original 1920's fishnets in their box on Ebay. I wish I would have picked them up, just for the history!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Lauren for the link. I think my questions have been answered. I'm not as daring as some of you gals, because while I think they look nice for evening wear, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing them either day or evening. I guess I'm just a little too conservative...

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Before I had an account on the lounge, due to some problem with my ISP, I read the posts for months and there was one about fishnets. THAT NIGHT I was driving past our city's convention center or auditorium or something and there was a meeting of Christian evangelists. Some were crossing the street in front of my dad's car and one of the ladies was wearing, yes, tan-colored fishnets. (It was still summer) They looked perfectly proper. I have waited all this time to post that observation! :) I remember my sis, who was quite tall and grown-up for her age, which was about 10, wearing fishnets to public school in the 60s and 70s. I wore them starting in the 80s and still do, love 'em! They are actually easier to find than nylon stockings, new, in the stores.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Lauren for the link. I think my questions have been answered. I'm not as daring as some of you gals, because while I think they look nice for evening wear, I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing them either day or evening. I guess I'm just a little too conservative...

I will wear nude fishnets with a black seam during the day when I want to add a bit of texture to my outfit. I've received plenty of compliments on them and they are actually quite subtle :)

Faye Valentine

Here is the picture I promised. It is from my Life Magazine from November 10, 1941. I hope you ladies can see it. It was a pain to scan it and I also had to resize it. Anywho, These are chorus girls. So I'm guessing, mostly performers wore them. You can see the stockings much better in person.

girls001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo