Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five that are Seriously Overrated...

Just thought ...

... of the film i reckon to be the most over rated ever:

A river runs through it

I can't see the obsession. Man has relatively dull life and writes a relatively dull book about it. Some filmmaker then makes a dull movie about it. A boring story told in a boring way - and badly acted. The scenery was good.

bk

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
The book was adapted from the film script.
IIRC, in my Penguin edition of THE THIRD MAN AND THE FALLEN IDOL, Greene contradicts the quoted statement. While it's true that Reed approached Greene with the notion of making a Berlin film, Greene says that he insisted that he write the book (a novella really) first and then hammer out the screenplay from the book. A tedious process for Reed to be sure, but tough beans, that is just how Greene worked. It's interesting to read the original story and to note the details that Reed altered.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Okay,

Jersey's Top 5 Overrated (out of many and in no particular order):

Titanic
Scarface
Gone With the Wind
Anything involving Costner but for Untouchables and Dances With Wolves
Blair Witch Project

JJ

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
ANYTHING....

....with or by George Clooney and any Quinton Tarantino (Or however you spell it) bloodbath.
Hmmm what else...........
Brokeback Mountain :kick:
Titanic :icon_smil
The Star Wars Pre-Quels :rage:

Harry Lime

Suspended
Dusty Rhodes said:
....with or by George Clooney and any Quinton Tarantino (Or however you spell it) bloodbath.
Hmmm what else...........
Brokeback Mountain :kick:
Titanic :icon_smil
The Star Wars Pre-Quels :rage:

Dusty, I'm very suprised you saw Brokeback Mountain.

Harry Lime

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Two words for this one's appeal -- Brad Pitt

Baron Kurtz said:

A river runs through it

I can't see the obsession. Man has relatively dull life and writes a relatively dull book about it. Some filmmaker then makes a dull movie about it. A boring story told in a boring way - and badly acted. The scenery was good.

bk
I guess you don't spend much time shopping at Orvis, BK.

Baron Kurtz said:

A river runs through it

bk

Gee, I agree with you. It should have been titled A Sewer Runs Out from the Screen. :p :icon_smil

Regards,

J

Posted by Feraud:
I also want to add any Adam Sandler film is seriously overrated when it comes to comedy. I love the slapstick style but this guy aint funny!! How does an investor put up money for an Adam Sandler film? Do the financial guys have a formula that calculates how many people will pay to laugh at anything?? As for his "serious" film..Punch Drunk Love is terrible! I would almost want to see a Little Nicky II before watching PDL again!

I've been meaning to get around to replying to this. I find it to be a relief that at least ONE other person agrees with me about Sandler. I can't stand the guy. He's spectacularly UNfunny. There's nothing funny about him at all in fact. People try to tell me 'He's like Jerry Lewis.' No. Jerry Lewis had timing, he had talent. He might have been an idiot, but at least he elicited empathy from the audience. I don't know how Sandler gets work.

The other guy I can't stand is Will Ferrell (Farrell? Who cares?) Another twit. And by the way, will you please stop making movies based on Saturday Night Live skits. They can barely sustain five minutes of comedy much less an entire picture. Not that I watch them, but I can't even stand to see the commercials.

Yes, a certain member can now hurl epithets for my disliking something else.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
I've been meaning to get around to replying to this. I find it to be a relief that at least ONE other person agrees with me about Sandler. I can't stand the guy. He's spectacularly UNfunny. There's nothing funny about him at all in fact. People try to tell me 'He's like Jerry Lewis.' No. Jerry Lewis had timing, he had talent. He might have been an idiot, but at least he elicited empathy from the audience. I don't know how Sandler gets work.

The other guy I can't stand is Will Ferrell (Farrell? Who cares?) Another twit. And by the way, will you please stop making movies based on Saturday Night Live skits. They can barely sustain five minutes of comedy much less an entire picture. Not that I watch them, but I can't even stand to see the commercials.

Yes, a certain member can now hurl epithets for my disliking something else.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Agreed on both accounts. Hollywood is just running out of new ideas. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Feraud

Bartender
I just watched Walk the Line. Holy smokes!! This film was overrated and b.o.r.i.n.g.!!

The story plodded along and is told in a very uninteresting fashion. This is a very generic "Rock & Roll" story. Apparently every icon is musically inspired from an early age. The parents do not love a child enough and there is usually the father & son relationship angst going on, blah, blah. You get the idea. I understand these components can be part & parcel of the "Rebel" mystique. This is exactly why I was wondering how this film could be so dull.

Joaquin Phoenix's vocals were HORRIBLE!! His voice is flat and he cannot hold a tune to save his life. How the heck did the director decide to let Joaquin sing the tunes? Could this possibly be anyone's perception of Johnny Cash's vocal style? I am a Johnny Cash fan. I probably listen to a few Cash tunes once a week as part of my listening queue. I do not approach this film as a "city boy" who "does not get it". I am lucky enough to have been raised to appreciate greatness no matter the genre. When he opened his mouth and started singing I was physically cringing in my seat. I sat there shocked that Phoenix's voice was not dubbed.

I cannot believe this film was nominated for awards. Reese Witherspoon did not deserve Best Actress. Her singing is better than Phoenix but the character she played in the film is not very inspiring or likable. As a fan of Cash I think a film of his life deserves a better telling.

Feraud said:
I cannot believe this film was nominated for awards. Reese Witherspoon did not deserve Best Actress. Her singing is better than Phoenix but the character she played in the film is not very inspiring or likable. As a fan of Cash I think a film of his life deserves a better telling.

Amen! The difference is that after seeing the previews and hearing that horrible voice---not to mention he looks nothing like Cash---I decided not to waste my money. Even my wife was turned off by the preview.
Of course, I have been a big fan of his music as were my father and grandfather. Obviously I have the same music taste as previous generation of my family. :p I remember an eight track of Ring of Fire ok. :p
http://www.johnnycash.com/songclips/ringoffire.mov
This is what a real Johnny Cash Sounds like.

Regards,

J

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Joaquin Phoenix's vocals were HORRIBLE!! His voice is flat and he cannot hold a tune to save his life. How the heck did the director decide to let Joaquin sing the tunes?
Actually I think he pulled off the vocals well, as I feel Cash is not a good singer and doesn't sing in tune very well, although Cash does have an interesting voice. After listening to June Carter Cash tonight, I think Reese didn't pull it off as well as Joaquin pulled off Cash and definitely feel he deserved the academy award more than she did. Being a Reese fan though, I was happy to see her win.

penfencer

Familiar Face
I finally saw Walk The Line this past weekend. Overall I was a little disappointed. I was really surprised by how well Reese Witherspoon sang.

I also saw Capote. Very good movie. Excellent acting and art direction. They really nailed the era.

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I turned off Walk the Line after 10 minutes.

Other overrated:

To Have and Have Not - other than learning the right way to whistle, not much of a story there. And does anyone else think that Dolores Moran looks better than Lauren Bacall in that movie?

Ray
Cold Mountain
Closer
The last 2 Harry Potter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy