Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flyers Intermediate G1

kriskross4

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I am a size 39 inch chest and instead of purchasing a size 40 jacket I am thinking of purchasing a size 38 because I would like a snug fit. Unfortunately I can't find anything of decent quality in 'Star Sportswear' in a 38. However I did come across the brand 'Flyer's Intermediate'. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

There's a few G-1 nuts here that know a lot. Recent talk (and experience for me) shows that the 60's G-1s seem to run true to size for the most part. Many vintage jackets run smaller, so it's good to know that this is not so much the case here.
As always, get a jacket that fits the way you like and measure it. Then, get the numbers from the seller(s) to compare. Not perfect, but a good indicator of how things will go...good luck.

kriskross4

New in Town
There's a few G-1 nuts here that know a lot. Recent talk (and experience for me) shows that the 60's G-1s seem to run true to size for the most part. Many vintage jackets run smaller, so it's good to know that this is not so much the case here.
As always, get a jacket that fits the way you like and measure it. Then, get the numbers from the seller(s) to compare. Not perfect, but a good indicator of how things will go...good luck.[/QUOTE
Thanks again and will do, cheers.

Skyhawk

Vendor
Generally G-1s run in a "Military fit". In other words a slim fit. I would suggest a size 40 for you in most contracts. Some of the older contracts, even in WWII, ran a bit bigger. Also the tolerances are not too precise. +/- 1/2" on the chest in the modern specs. A size 40 can have a chest of 22", 22 1/2", or 23". All would be within specifications and acceptable for issue.

thor

Call Me a Cab
There are plenty of vintage G-1's in size 38 and 40 to be found in excellent condition (the larger sizes are more difficult to come by). Find a nice 1950's-1960's G-1 with real mouton collar and a true military pedigree.

kriskross4

New in Town
Generally G-1s run in a "Military fit". In other words a slim fit. I would suggest a size 40 for you in most contracts. Some of the older contracts, even in WWII, ran a bit bigger. Also the tolerances are not too precise. +/- 1/2" on the chest in the modern specs. A size 40 can have a chest of 22", 22 1/2", or 23". All would be within specifications and acceptable for issue.
I the size 40 will on the one hand fit me but it can be a slightly loose too considering I
I do not think Star Sportswear has made any G-1 jackets for decades and has been out of business probably just as long. Flyers Intermediate is not a brand, just a description. Your best bet is a new mil spec Cockpit G-1 size 40, or if you are a stringbean a 38. Shop around as they can be had for much less than retail.
Thanks for the suggestion and not to dismiss Cockpit but there's something about a vintage that can't be matched which is why I'm on the lookout for one.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi everyone,

I am a size 39 inch chest and instead of purchasing a size 40 jacket I am thinking of purchasing a size 38 because I would like a snug fit. Unfortunately I can't find anything of decent quality in 'Star Sportswear' in a 38. However I did come across the brand 'Flyer's Intermediate'. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't find decent quality in a Star Sportswear. Star was a quality manufacturer of G-1s. Do you mean the jackets are no longer in good condition due to age? No reason to limit yourself to Star; there were other manufacturers of the C series and early D series. Brill Brothers and Irving Foster come to mind. Those series up until about mid 1970 for the D series, I believe it was, had the goat hide and the mouton collar. That is what you want, IMO.

There are various threads on the Forum discussing these great jackets. Use the search function. You will probably find more information than you can use.

kriskross4

New in Town
I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't find decent quality in a Star Sportswear. Star was a quality manufacturer of G-1s. Do you mean the jackets are no longer in good condition due to age? No reason to limit yourself to Star; there were other manufacturers of the C series and early D series. Brill Brothers and Irving Foster come to mind. Those series up until about mid 1970 for the D series, I believe it was, had the goat hide and the mouton collar. That is what you want, IMO.

There are various threads on the Forum discussing these great jackets. Use the search function. You will probably find more information than you can use.
What I meant was that I saw some good quality Star Sportswear G1's in size 40 but the size 38 Star Sportswear (which was the only one available on Ebay) wasn't up to par due to wear and tear. Having started a thread earlier I was given to understand that Star Sportswear is the one of the best but will look at Irving Foster and Bill Bros too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peacoat

Bartender
What I meant was that I saw some good quality Star Sportswear G1's in size 40 but the size 38 Star Sportswear (which was the only one available on Ebay) wasn't up to par due to wear and tear. Having started a thread earlier I was given to understand that Star Sportswear is the one of the best but will look at Irving Foster and Bill Bros too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually, I would look more to the series than the manufacturer back in the 60s and early to mid 1970. Those would be C series (1960s) and D series (mid 1970). After mid 1970, with the D series, you may not get goat, and you may not get the mouton collar. After 1970, you probably won't get either.

Good luck with the hunt.

Marv

A-List Customer
Actually, I would look more to the series than the manufacturer back in the 60s and early to mid 1970. Those would be C series (1960s) and D series (mid 1970). After mid 1970, with the D series, you may not get goat, and you may not get the mouton collar. After 1970, you probably won't get either.

Good luck with the hunt.

I agree, I did pick up a very nice Brill Bros D series from 1971 which is made from goat but alas has the dynal collar but having said that, it's a quality jacket, well made with great knits and zipper.

Cost was under $150

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You did very well there :) & deservedly so too (patience is a virtue they say). No jealously this end (damn..damn..damn).

My order could be beauty or the beast! If it's a beast I know which auction site that mother is going onto. If it's a beauty I will smile indulgently to myself & post pics here for all to admire my latest smutter.

thor

Call Me a Cab
This size 46 beauty by Star Sportswear is almost mint and sold for $58 (!!!). Sadly, not to me (I saw it right after the bidding ended).There are definitely bargains to be had.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany