Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

fishmeok

Vendor
Edward said:
Thanks Mark, I will do. Alas, I've had to give up the drainpipes for the most part due to excess horizontal expansion to my frame making them look ridiculous, so that wouldn't be a worry - more that they'd fit under a pair of Prison Blues (which my engineer boots do comfortably). :)

They will if you get the carpenter-style (I have a pair- favorite jeans), but they will fill them out...
Cheers
Mark

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, I have those.... they sit a little loose over my engineer boots. As in they cover the boots with maybe a quarter to half inch of slack all round - enough that you can't automatically see the outline of the boot under the deinm. Same for the Aero 36s?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Looking back in this thread - seeing some of Windsocks posted pics of his boots - not the beautifull ,brown Aussi ones but his RAF pair - they too look wider at the top.
Could it just be, that the pic from WPG was taken with the boot lying down on a flat surface????

(I just tried to lay my boots down like that - and voila: They looked slightly wider at the top too!!!:eek:)

Guesse we all have to wait untill someone gets his feet into a pair.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hows this to wet your appetite. No not the sweetie packing the boots but the rows of mint '36ers all lined up.

This is the caption to the shot;

"1940-06-13. A woman employee carrying out a final inspection of flying boots before packing them into boxes at the Bedggood footwear factory." Where did I put my time machine.

001991.jpg

I don't want to admit to any speculation that the RAF boots had wider tops, but the two pairs of Bedggoods I have are a bit narrower at the top than the only pair of AM stamped ones I have. This is a pretty limited cross sectional study though...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What beauty...!!!

Is there a woman in this photograph??[huh]

This proves just 'how sick' we boys are [huh] Because the REAL star of this photo has just got to be ALL those boots!!!:eusa_clap A GALAXY of stars!!

001991.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Just had the 36ers (on the right) out over the fields this morning along with the DGL sheepskin, as temps have just suddenly plummeted.

I've been wondering about using flying boots for cold weather walking, Paddy. But I'd assumed they were not designed for the job. How would you rate them in terms of wear and tear?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
These are fine!

I tightened the top strap on them, got a good rubber grip popped on the sole (as the leather would just be all over the shop!) and they're lovely and toasty in the snow too!! so all-in-all...they are fine for the dog walking (not for extensive hill-walking..etc).

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Well that's me in for some toasty toes, then.

It'll have to be WPG, though, if they can secure their supply, as Aero are out of my size.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
CP - if you buy the WPG ones, please post some pics and a review.
We are many, who would be interested in your experience with the WPG version of the RAF 1936 pattern boots.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Aero is out of my size as well, Every couple of months I ask them when they will be restocked. First the Answer was August, then sometime between September October, then simply "before winter."

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Hey, Hawkeye, WPG are saying October. I don't suppose you're thinking what I'm thinking...

In case you're not, the two sets of changing restock dates are mighty similar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Terrific photo Andrew. Where'd you snaffle it from?

I'm interested in photos and a review as well Creeping Past, as there is only that one snap of the WPGs that somebody or other posted.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Aero just restocked, and I just finished placing an order for a US12. I dont know how long theyll take to ship, but I cant wait!

Oh by the way, Paddy, it looks like you wear your boots HARD (and again, I have to say they look great!) I was wondering if you treat them at all?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MY old fav leather cream from RM WILLIAMS.

Once in a blue moon they get a good wash with soapy water (as they get caked in mud and crud over the winter walks) and a judicial amount of RMW cream - that's it! and need to be resoled once in a while.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
and a judicial amount of RMW cream

I swear by it as well Paddy. Best leather care product I've used and I use it on everything, jackets, boots, bags, you name it. Magic stuff.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
A heads up, I know a couple of you have expressed a desire for brown 36'ers. Theres a pair up on ebay right now with 15 hours left, just search under flying boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80