Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forum Upgrade -- POST ANY ISSUES HERE

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As I said earlier in this thread-- I agree with you. It's too cluttered. We're going to work on it. Thanks for your support.

That's good to hear. Once again thanks Nathan, I'm no expert in IT matters but I can just imagine the amount of work this sort of thing must take, not to mention all the hair pulling and bad language!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's good to hear. Once again thanks Nathan, I'm no expert in IT matters but I can just imagine the amount of work this sort of thing must take, not to mention all the hair pulling and bad language!

I could write a book! What an ordeal. I literally did not sleep Tuesday night.

That was fast. Thank you! It seems to be working just fine now.

You're welcome. Please let us know if you find any other problems.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for all of your hard work.....but I must agree that it certainly doesn't seem a 'simpler' arrangement. Could you list just what we have gained..?
Thanks
HD

Well, this isn't everything:

It closed over 300 security holes. It renders faster on most browsers. It has better integration with video/picture/social media services. You now have the ability to multi-quote other users. You can better control what parts of your profile other users see. You have the ability to set up "social groups" for subjects you and others are interested in. We're going to have integration with social bookmarking services so users like Diamondback won't have to worry about losing their Subscribed Threads if there's ever another giant upgrade. The search function is now actually usable and supports boolean operators. The spam protection is MILES ahead of what it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yes, thanks to everyone for all the hard work you guys put into it. I'm no genius when it comes to programming, and I didn't mean to be a jerk back there. Just my observations.

The plusses definitely outweigh the negatives; and like all changes, it just takes some assimilation of the new decorations. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes, thanks to everyone for all the hard work you guys put into it. I'm no genius when it comes to programming, and I didn't mean to be a jerk back there. Just my observations.

The plusses definitely outweigh the negatives; and like all changes, it just takes some assimilation of the new decorations. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

No worries! Just going by how detailed you were in your assessment of the look, it made me wonder if you were a web designer or UI consultant, and I was going to be sure to hit you up for tips.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Thanks again Nathan for putting all this time into this it is much appreciated and thanks for putting up all the gripes too you are being very patient with the critique session.

Ok so I think I just answered my own question by posting this thread I was going to ask if you have to go to advanced reply mode to get the smileys and a bigger box to write in and I hit the button and there it was. Although hitting an extra button so much work;)

Oh and who you calling Senior???

By the way that big smiley up there was supposed to be a wink, just saying......

Last edited:

Oscar

New in Town
The forum looks great now, but I have one problem. I can't seem to upload an avatar again. I had one, but then it wasn't appearing, and now I don't have an option to upload an avatar in my profile edit page. Unless there is some new rule that people with 4 (well, 5 now) posts can't have avatars, maybe I'm missing something...

Derek WC

Banned
I've gotta agree with a few of the other guys here. I really liked the old, simple, non-cluttered version, also the original smiley faces. However, I do like some of the new bells and whistles, like the multi-quote function.

Not to disregard your hard work, as I really appreciate your dedication.

PoohBang

Suspended
it's odd that a forum obsessed and dedicated to things of the past would want to change it's image to reflect the latest and trendiest. Maybe I was just use to the old look and ways to move around, but I can't say as I'm a fan of this new look and navigation.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I am not crazy on these new graphics. It is too formal and the grey charcoal backgound is horrible and unfriendly. I am not against change bu this is not positive in a friendly way.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have been unable to access the site for a couple of days, so I guess the conversion process affected users differently. Hence, I have not seen any version earlier than the present one.

My impression is positive, the transition from the former style to the new has been smooth, and that is good in itself because it means the overall environment is similar enough to the one I was used too.

I will mention if I find any issues when I get to use the various features. I understand some of these, like the smilies, or the tags related to each member's number of postings ("One too many", etc) are still "work in progress".

Last, as many other users have already done, I want to say a great thank you to the people on charge, for their efforts. :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Oh boy...

Too bad about the subscriptions, that hurts. So many useful threads and posts... :(

In the message editing window I can barely read the text as I type. I know this is due to the fact that I have altered some system colors to fit my preferred color scheme but would it be possible to change the colors in the editing window to not use the system default but some predefined color values?

The background in the thread view sometimes doesn't get rendered correctly; some space seems to be left blank as you can see below.

board_prob_01.jpg

The fact that some icons don't work anymore is sad to say the least. The new ones don't look to hot either.

Gotta say I'm not too impressed with this latest software update. :mad: (<<-- This icon fails to capture my frustration!!! :eusa_doh:)

Another this I just noticed: images that exceed certainy boundaries are simply displayed in a smaller size. In a forum that is in so many ways dependend on images this is really nasty...

Another little glitch (note the message count):

board_prob_02.jpg

All that said: Thanks for all the time and effort you put tinto this! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Hello
I just selected a link from an email that should have taken me to jeans in general attire and accoutrements instead I was taken to vintage weddings in the powder room.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I like the new layout and stuff, but I have a problem with logging in.

I like being permanently logged into forums. It saves time and prevents frustration.

I can't seem to do that with FL now. Why? If I close the browser window or navigate away from the forum and come back later, I find I need to log in again, despite asking the site and my browser to remember me and keep me permanently logged in.

What's going on here? I never had this problem before.

On the bright side, Mario, the "Page Limit" on search results seems to have gone away, so at least that makes the going a little easier while you rebuild you Subscription List--I've been at it most of the night, and am up to about 300 threads--if we assume an average of say 8 per post, at let's call it 5600 posts total that means only around 400 threads to go!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hope the old smiley icons and the "practically family", etc designations return soon.
If you could tone down the orange would be a great plus. Or give the option to change font colors user by user? I'm not opposed to change and, believe me, I prefer modern looking websites but when it comes to the lounge... I like the old school vibe it had. Hope in the next few days things get reworked.
Your work is appreciated. Thanks very much for that. Did I mention the new smiley icons suck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR