Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Brim vs. Stingy Brim

In the 30's it seems that small brims and high crowns were more common place, but I think the height of the crown makes the brim seem a bit shorter than they actually are as compared to present day versions.

It makes me think of some of the Warner Bros cartoons for gangsters and FBI guys, nearly always a short guy with a high crown and small brim .

Alex

Practically Family
Maybe it's my personal preference but I think stingys look better tipped back. That's usually how I wear mine:
72124_693589728578_11701808_38687570_8141463_n.jpg

60's Resistol "Gotham I" in "orbit" grey.

Nice stingy man, looks cool. I think stingys look good tipped back or not, it just depends on how the person wants to be perceived.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
In the 30's it seems that small brims and high crowns were more common place, but I think the height of the crown makes the brim seem a bit shorter than they actually are as compared to present day versions.

It makes me think of some of the Warner Bros cartoons for gangsters and FBI guys, nearly always a short guy with a high crown and small brim .

You mean these guys, right?

rocky.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Nice stingy man, looks cool. I think stingys look good tipped back or not, it just depends on how the person wants to be perceived.

I think to some degree it depends on physical characteristics. He is a young man with a full head of hair. That hat on my old crew cut head wouldn't work well. I do have a stingy brim but I wear it pretty much straight and level and it isn't really one of my favorites.

DRB

One Too Many
I feel that a few photo`s posted here of the `fashion` type stingy hats (new materials, new construction (non blocked), modern colors) may give the impression that stingies are a "trend" or that stingies are associated with the 1960`s and musicians.

Take a look at the (1920/30`s?) photo, and I`ve circled what I think could be classified as stingy brims...

4691510286_538a30a3e0_b1.jpg

I agree with Zetwal and Scottyrocks. Stingys have been around for a very long time. I think that when I owned a farm, a wider brim worked for me, but since I have sold the farm and live in the city, a city hat is more appropriate. Stingy's are definitely city wear. Anything over 2 1/2 inches belongs on the farm (I know I am going to draw a lot of criticism with that statement! :eeek: ) Please, don't stone me for that statement :eek:

I like stingies, as I find them to be better for less formal situations. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think they suit me proportionally. I'm 6'1, 225 lbs, broad shouldered, and have a good sized noggin. I think the stingies just look funny on me.

Eelephant

Familiar Face
Hello, all. Very much enjoying my time here on the board. Some of you folks are sporting some seriously awesome headwear. I am curious, though, don't see many pictures of stingy or upturned brim hats. Not too popular around here? Or is it because they were too trendy for too long? Just curious, I guess. I am a big fan. Love the trilby's, porkpies, stingy brim fedora type things with the upturned brims, etc... To me, nothing in the world looks as sharp as a sweet porkpie with a collared shirt and coat.

Anyway, would love to see pics of your best! You've all seen pretty much all my decent hats (all 2 of them, heh) in the "What are you wearing today" thread, so I won't start this thread off with another pic, but I'll be posting them as I get them!

Thanks, all!

Hello, all. Very much enjoying my time here on the board. Some of you folks are sporting some seriously awesome headwear. I am curious, though, don't see many pictures of stingy or upturned brim hats. Not too popular around here? Or is it because they were too trendy for too long? Just curious, I guess. I am a big fan. Love the trilby's, porkpies, stingy brim fedora type things with the upturned brims, etc... To me, nothing in the world looks as sharp as a sweet porkpie with a collared shirt and coat.

Anyway, would love to see pics of your best! You've all seen pretty much all my decent hats (all 2 of them, heh) in the "What are you wearing today" thread, so I won't start this thread off with another pic, but I'll be posting them as I get them!

Thanks, all!
This is a great question, and will probably stir some folks up. I like a good stingy for certain days I want to feel the 60s again. Upturned brims are here, just not in abundance. I think a high quality early 60s stingy such as the Cavanagh picture below are just as cool as a wide brimmed 40s Mallory or Stetson, in their own way. Now I will retreat to my bunker for the coming storm. Embrace the stingy...slim brims have a place here too!

Cavanagh Thirty side c1962.jpg

Eelephant

Familiar Face
This is a great question, and will probably stir some folks up. I like a good stingy for certain days I want to feel the 60s again. Upturned brims are here, just not in abundance. I think a high quality early 60s stingy such as the Cavanagh picture below are just as cool as a wide brimmed 40s Mallory or Stetson, in their own way. Now I will retreat to my bunker for the coming storm. Embrace the stingy...slim brims have a place here too!

View attachment 75369
OK, everyone remember this very clearly, please. I merely brought the hornet's nest into the room. Red is the one who gave it a good kick!!!!

Stingies (2" or less in my definition) are certainly not the majority of lids sported by FL Members, but we have several that do. Most of us tend to go for the wider brimmed, 30s and 40s look. Also, many of us started with smaller brimmed hats and as our collections grew, so did our taste for brim width.

Absolutely nothing wrong with them, and I look forward to seeing some examples. But they're not my cup of tea. :)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a big "Stingy" fan, always was, always will be......I have a pretty extensive stingy collection,all vintage tho, none of these new styles. Many years ago, this place had plenty of stingy wearing members. I now have many other vintage, wider brim hats in my collection, but most of my go to hats are stingy. All you'd have to do is search this forums, (stingy), archives and I'm fairly certain my name will show up alot.....lol.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually wear hats for sun protection. So the wider the better. With that said in the winter months I rarely see the light of day so that's when my stingy brims come out to play. I think I only have two that would be considered stingy but they are fun to wear.
Johnny

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy