Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Brim vs. Stingy Brim

C1940 Stetson Narrow Brim advertisement. Not just a 60s/70s thing.
1940s Stetson Narrow Brim ad 600x.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
This ad is even earlier, showing some hats with 2" looking brims c1930 View attachment 75483
It was pretty common for a hat to have a narrow brim in the 1930s... a pretty typical 30s fedora had a tall crown and narrow brim ....more narrow than the 40s anyway.
The wide stuff really started becoming popular in the 40s then narrowed down again in the 50s.
Crowns came down from the 30s height in the 40s as well for the most part

Of course there are exceptions everywhere ...

Not a fan of the narrow stuff for myself at all but cats look great in them ... I admire them from afar

Best thread on the forum right here

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nothing-but-stetson-ads.45495/

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It was pretty common for a hat to have a narrow brim in the 1930s... a pretty typical 30s fedora had a tall crown and narrow brim ....more narrow than the 40s anyway.
The wide stuff really started becoming popular in the 40s then narrowed down again in the 50s.
Crowns came down from the 30s height in the 40s as well for the most part

Of course there are exceptions everywhere ...

Not a fan of the narrow stuff for myself at all but cats look great in them ... I admire them from afar

Best thread on the forum right here

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nothing-but-stetson-ads.45495/
Thats whats throwing me off abt this one.
20170114_124541-1.jpg
Its the George I. Eakle I own. It could go 30's or 60's. I like to think 30's of course. Guesses anyone?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thats whats throwing me off abt this one. View attachment 75487 Its the George I. Eakle I own. It could go 30's or 60's. I like to think 30's of course. Guesses anyone?
Impossible to tell from one photo.
also difficult without doing research on the manufacturer
Dimensions exclusively will never tell you the era of a hat... I was simply speaking in trends... those trends were never all encompassing.
I personally know nothing about the maker but I suspect there are probably things on the interior that will lead you to a ballpark vintage.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Impossible to tell from one photo.
also difficult without doing research on the manufacturer
Dimensions exclusively will never tell you the era of a hat... I was simply speaking in trends... those trends were never all encompassing.
I personally know nothing about the maker but I suspect there are probably things on the interior that will lead you to a ballpark vintage.
Thanks. Yer up late! I looked but cant recall. Will chk again.

Crisp looking brim, it looks really thin. Knowing your penchant for historic beauties, my guess is 1930s?
Yes correct. Probably later 1930s. The felt is thin but stiffened (weighs 3.5 oz.). I think it's made of wool. Really hard to describe but not a cold weather felt.

Probably later 1930s.

Here is the underside.

27383591526_42df30daf7_b.jpg

Also most 1930s or older Stiff Felts had brims in the 2 inch range and with curl would be less.

How about a time period for this one?

27404126365_f1fba55290_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes correct. Probably later 1930s.

Probably later 1930s.

Here is the underside.

27383591526_42df30daf7_b.jpg

Also most 1930s or older Stiff Felts had brims in the 2 inch range and with curl would be less.

How about a time period for this one?

27404126365_f1fba55290_b.jpg
I'm going with the "golden age" of fine men's headwear, 1920s through the 1950s;):cool:!

C1940 Stetson Narrow Brim advertisement. Not just a 60s/70s thing. View attachment 75481
Interesting ad......mimicks the typical way I wear my hats.......I like to wear my wider brims in less formal ways......I find the wider brim, (Whippet, Stetsonian's, Stratoliners) look a little too Chicago Gangster when I wear a suit. So, when I wear suits tend to wear nice short brim hats, usually vintage, with 2 inch brims.....I think I may have a 1 7/8 but it is not my favorite......NOTHING with a shorter brim.....for my fat head...2'' IS a "Stingy"......
M

Interesting ad......mimicks the typical way I wear my hats.......I like to wear my wider brims in less formal ways......I find the wider brim, (Whippet, Stetsonian's, Stratoliners) look a little too Chicago Gangster when I wear a suit. So, when I wear suits tend to wear nice short brim hats, usually vintage, with 2 inch brims.....I think I may have a 1 7/8 but it is not my favorite......NOTHING with a shorter brim.....for my fat head...2'' IS a "Stingy"......
M
+1 Hear Hear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21