Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Collars

vernknight

New in Town
Hello again, Im just curious to anyone who has G-1's or M-422a's, to the fading of the collars. Do the dark collars really fade out to that beautiful russet and then to the honey color, or do I need to get the russet color in the first place? if they do fade, how long and under what conditions? I assume constant sunlight. Thanks again!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
My Flightsuits M-422A came with a russet collar.

I have had it for five years, during which it has not faded at all.

If it is ever going to fade, which I doubt, it will take decades.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've got a late war G1 with the dark brown mouton collar and its still extremely dark, so I wouldn't worry about fading. Just get the color/collar that appeals to you the most.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This early M422-a that I sold last year had a nice colour of mouton.
I'm sure there were many different shades os mouton used.

Jkt_frnt.jpg

This example was early-war.

B
T

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Vernknight,

The collars on the old jackets (M-422 and G-1) faded more or less depending on the maker and contract. For example, Church jackets seemed to fade to almost a tan color, Cagleco didn't fade at all.

But regardless of maker, only time and exposure to high altitude, UV light faded the mouton---and it took years. I can't imagine normal civilian use ever fading a new mouton colar. At least not in one owner's lifetime!

Atticus

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Yeah you need to choose a jacket that has the collar coloring and shape that you like. I don't think that you have much to worry about regarding fading with the current jacket makers. Both G-1’s and M-422’s run the gamut in collar shape. In general G-1’s have (had) a more rounded collar. One thing that I noticed about almost every current maker is that the collars tend to be on the larger side. Some of the coolest original jackets that I’ve seen had smaller collars, at least to my eye.

Better Duck

New in Town
I have an ELC G1 that I have worn hard for about 15 years and there has been no or no noticible fading of the mouton collar. I have ridden many miles on my motorbike on it, so it has exensively been exposed to the elements.
Like the others I say: choose the colour you like to begin with, and don't worry about fading.
Here is a photo of my jacket as it is now:
IMG_1463.jpg

Peter

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Fortworthgal,

Post 1969 G-1 collars are made of Dynel, a synthetic product that does not fade and can not be eaten by moths. If your G-1 was made in the early '70s, I'm sure its collar is made from this material. By the way, the tag on your jacket will reveal its date of manufacture. Look for a number beginning with DSA 100-XX. The two digit number following the "100" denote the year your jacket was made.

Atticus

Maverickson

Familiar Face
To achieve the desired look for an original Willis & Geiger M-422A I am currently having refurbished I began experimenting with different colored moutons. Through trial and error I was successful in fading or sun bleaching my mouton material into achieving my desired color. After using several different colored moutons from vintage ladies garments I found that the very dark brown or nearly black mouton with time fades to a golden brown.

Cheers,

The Saint

New in Town
Better Duck said:
I have an ELC G1 that I have worn hard for about 15 years and there has been no or no noticible fading of the mouton collar. I have ridden many miles on my motorbike on it, so it has exensively been exposed to the elements.
Like the others I say: choose the colour you like to begin with, and don't worry about fading.
Here is a photo of my jacket as it is now:
IMG_1463.jpg

Peter

Hi Peter,

at first I like to thank all members for this unique, brilliant forum. I´m new here and
as a collector from several Flight Jackets from AERO, Cooper, The Cocpit USA and Alpha, I also very interested for the Eastman Jackets - especially the G1 - 55J14.

From my view I have to compare ELC with AERO Jackets, but compared to AERO, I never had the chance to see Eastmans Production. Is anybody here who has an impression of this production in Devon?
And what is your opinion comparing the quality of AERO and ELC ?

NOTE: If this is a question like: What do you prefer – NIKON, or CANON - BMW, or AUDI - I´m sorry and I will cancel the question.

Thank´s

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I have been told that the other reason for fading was the high salt content in the air/at sea. I have a few original M-422a, AN 6552 and G-1 jackets and all except for the cagleco have a faded honey rust colour to the mouton. The Cagleco is unissued so this may explain the dark mouton - the comment about Cagleco not fading is one I have not heard before.

Old dying techniques must have been different to modern dyes/processes so this may be another reason. I had a California Sportswear G-1 and the base of the mouton near the skin was a honeyish colour while the top was a dark brown.

bobbyball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR