Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Leather Jacket by ALPHA INDUSTRIES

Fifty150

One Too Many
COLLAR LABEL READS:

ALPHA INDUSTRIES INC

KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE USA
EST. OCTOBER 1959

Official U.S. Defense Dept. Contractor
PLANT INDEX No. 026200
CAGE code 3A382

LEFT SEAM LABEL READS:

GENUINE LEATHER
LINING: 100% POLYESTER

The left inside pocket has a vertical opening with a brass snap for right handers. No right inside pocket for left handers. Leather locker loop above the label. Half circle patches of leather along lining in the underarm gusset area, in the same area as the riveted vent holes. YKK zipper. Buttons and leather tab on underside of collar for flipping collar up and closing it. Knit sleeves and waistband of unknown material. Storm flap along lower 2/3 of zipper has "USN" perforated. Real mouton collar is not removeable. No epaulettes. No insulation. Top entry only patch pockets on front. Back is one large piece of leather from the collar and shoulder seams, down about 4/5 of the way, to a small 1.5" strip of leather and another 4" strip of leather across the lower back. Leather has nice grain and is well dyed. No obvious defects or imperfections.

For those of us in the baggy clothes generation, think going up a size. I wear a 48 inch chest, fight as a Cruiser Weight, and walk around as a Heavy Weight. This garment in size XL fits squarely across my shoulders, and the bi-swing back allows my arms to move. A snug fit for that "fitted" look. Perfect for those guys who have "high & tight" haircuts, and look "tight" in the uniforms. With my 18" neck, I was able to comfortably close the slide fastener in front. I was able to flip the collar up with ease, but unable to close it with the strap and buttons.

I like my Golden Bear Sportswear A-2 for "fit & feel" more than this jacket, even though it's not "to spec" or "official issue". But then again, that is all very subjective. What "feels good" to me, may not "feel good" to anyone else.

Very good at keeping the wind and rain out. Today was about 35 - 40 degrees, and I was warm with just a Pendleton shirt for insulation. With just a t-shirt, like The Fonz, this jacket is perfect for fighting off the chill of California's whimsical weather patterns. Don't forget that "Happy Days" was "filmed before a live audience" on Stage 19 in the Paramount Studios lot, not on location in Milwaukee. On the East Coast, layer accordingly.

If you wear low-rise skinny jeans, and bend over a lot, then we'll all get to see your lower back tattoo. If you wear low rise skinny jeans, bend over a lot, and have a lower back tattoo......then perhaps you are reading the wrong forum.

An exceptional value at $239 when compared to the questionable quality of the Excelled Leather version. But I can't see paying the $400 MSRP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner