Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

galoshes !

texasgirl

One Too Many
JupitersDarling said:
these just sold for $102 on eBay. :eek:

Z3.jpg

There's a pair of these at my local antique mall in my size for $49. I keep thinking about them. They're black with brown fur though. I may have to go back and get them for a birthday present for myself. I just don't think I'd get to wear them much. Are they strictly 40s or did they have them in the 30s?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Those are cute, and not tat bad a price either :eek:
Considering those silly neon pink things above them are going for $50 a pop.

LD

I totally agree, I would give $100 for those in a wink! While they do look very 40's, they also have a very modern look to them, I could easily see those shoes being sold at any shoe shop today. Just gorgeous!

texasgirl, you should definitely get them, and if you don't want them, I do! ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The one thing to keep in mind before spending beaucoup bucks on vintage galoshes is *check the rubber quality first* if you intend to wear them. If the rubber is at all cracked or stiff, forget it -- they'll come apart after very little wearing, even if they're unsold store stock. The rubber has to be soft and supple and flexible, and if the auction description doesn't say so, don't be shy about asking the seller -- you'll save yourself a lot of disappointment.

If you've actually got them in hand to examine before buying, check the edges where the upper is cemented to the sole, and the folds at the closure. These are the areas that crack first, and any signs of splitting or fine crazing in these areas are danger signs.

And, don't be tricked -- it's real easy to shine up old rubber goods with Armor-All or some other such product and make them *look* fresh and supple, but that's only a surface treatment. If there are any doubts, or anything seems fishy about the description, look elsewhere.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
When I grew up, we had the ugly kind and I HATED them! But if I had some cute ones like those black ones, I would totally wear those! The hideous pink things remind me of my childhood galoshes.*yucky*

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Ugh, I wish those were around now. I've been trying to figure out what on earth to wear this winter with my vintage look. I just got into vintage recently so I didn't have this problem last winter. It's hard to remain authentic on a small budget. Why do things have to go out of style in the first place? I just don't get mdoern day stuff. With all the gadgets we have now days, you'd think they'd come up with something so neccessary! [huh]

Lottie

Familiar Face
D

Deleted member 12480

i think we should all write to a welly-making company and insist they make the old fashioned galoshes again. I WOULD KILL for some that i could wear regularly on the two mile walk to school.

xxx

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I love the sound and connotation of the word "galoshes" :D

Galoshes= 1920s :D

"Jr. Held’s satirical drawings of young women in short skirts and galoshes were widely popular in the 1920s and became representative of the flapper image."

flapper-1.jpg
How cool is that? ;)

D

Deleted member 12480

i'm feeling FL Brand galoshes - complete with a tiny logo. Oh please oh please someone look into it - i absolutely LONG for a pair of wearable galoshes.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Well isn't that neat! Unfortunately they're a size too big. And I'm not sure how they would work on my shoes. They look really great though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy