Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
DeaconKC said:
Knocked out a prototype today fro a new razor/brush stand. Now I know what dimensions I will need and a couple other things. Also, the part I like about it is using old cracked razor handles for the horizontal pieces.

Deacon, looks great, can't wait to see the finished piece. I like the use of old razor handles, as well. What wood are you going to use for the final piece?

Warbaby and MB5, great work! I made my wife's engagement ring, and our wedding bands, the bands are fairly simple, though.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Thanks Nick. I'm planning on using oak so it will match the bathroom cabinetry. I'll router the edges too, make it look a little more finished. Now I just have to find some threaded 10-32 rod so I can do a blind hole for the mountings.

I, too, am blown away by the skill of our jewelry artisans here. Simply gorgeous, fellows.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Nick, if you could make and mass produced a shirt with that exact collar design (but permanently attached to the shirt), I'd bet that you'd get a lot of orders for it. The one '20s-'30s menswear item that isn't being well produced by anybody (even the Japanese) is dress shirts with period-accurate long collars.

Would you consider taking up this challenge?

Marc,

It's a possibility, though I don't know about 'mass' production. I've only got a small Necchi machine out here (I have a better one back home), and I've got a PhD to complete. However, give me some time to get this pattern sorted and make a few more for myself to test it out and get a handle on the butterfly gussets, and I should be open to do some shirts for people. I certainly don't claim to be in the same league as Gieves & Hawkes or other bespoke shirtmakers, but I do my best and work on improving (and I wouldn't charge as much as them ;) ).

I have been approached to make collars and other items recently, and since I just picked up some good shirting and sew-in interfacing, I think I'll be able to do that soon. I'll keep you updated in this thread for the progress I'm making on getting the shirt just right.

With thanks,
Nick

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been giving more thought to what Marc said and so have just purchased David Coffin's book on shirtmaking. That should help on the couple details I'm still working on getting just right, and perhaps suggest some other options for the shirts. I'm also working on some more collar styles, including a club collar and a 4" and 3" point which could be either attached or detachable.

Regards,
Nick

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Here's a new one

P1040040.jpg
[/IMG]
P1040041.jpg
[/IMG]

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Michael, I think this is my favorite so far. The fitting of the different stones in the body is outstanding! What does it say on the back? How much does it weigh?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Another collar, this one a club collar by Aratex. The stand is fairly narrow, and the collar is slighty contoured to fit around the shoulders. The fabric is good quality cotton shirting.

DSC09146.jpg

DSC09145.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
School has kept me from doing much lately, but I've just been able to finish a couple things I started a little while ago.

I've obviously been on a collar streak, still more I'd like to do. The first one is from the same pattern as the collar I posted before, but in better quality material.
DSC09242.jpg

And here's one modified from that pattern, inspired by a 30's collar posted on the FL a while back. 4" points. The points of both these collars are even, they're just sitting unevenly on the box I put them on.
DSC09239.jpg

To compare points
DSC09247.jpg

The three point collars I've made together. The prototype is on the right.
DSC09243.jpg

Finally, eight freshly laundered, starched, and ironed collars. Four vintage, four homemade.
DSC09219.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
If you ever go into the collar making business (as you should!) consider me your first client!

Nick D said:
School has kept me from doing much lately, but I've just been able to finish a couple things I started a little while ago.

I've obviously been on a collar streak, still more I'd like to do. The first one is from the same pattern as the collar I posted before, but in better quality material.
DSC09242.jpg

And here's one modified from that pattern, inspired by a 30's collar posted on the FL a while back. 4" points. The points of both these collars are even, they're just sitting unevenly on the box I put them on.
DSC09239.jpg

To compare points
DSC09247.jpg

The three point collars I've made together. The prototype is on the right.
DSC09243.jpg

Finally, eight freshly laundered, starched, and ironed collars. Four vintage, four homemade.
DSC09219.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of shirt does one wear with a detachable collar, and where would someone get one?

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm working on the 1934 EvaDress trousers, and ran into a snag - the inseam of the front is 1 1/2" shorter than the back! Anyone else run into this problem? I've triple checked the pattern so if it's my mistake I'm going to feel REALLY stupid. I sent an email to Alexandra of Evadress asking her about this, but wondered if anyone here could offer insight. When I match the notches it looks like 3/8" is missing from the hook in the crotch and the rest is missing from the hem. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
I'm working on the 1934 EvaDress trousers, and ran into a snag - the inseam of the front is 1 1/2" shorter than the back! Anyone else run into this problem? I've triple checked the pattern so if it's my mistake I'm going to feel REALLY stupid. I sent an email to Alexandra of Evadress asking her about this, but wondered if anyone here could offer insight. When I match the notches it looks like 3/8" is missing from the hook in the crotch and the rest is missing from the hem. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Snookie, yes, I've dealt with this in different ways in the three pairs I've so far made. The first time I lined up the crotch and trimmed the bottoms of the legs straight. This resulted in a good fit in the seat and crotch, but causes the leg seams to twist a bit. The second pair I dropped the curve of the seat seam to meet the front, lining up the leg bottoms. This worked, but I didn't shape the seam quite as well as I would have liked. The third pair I added an insert on the top of the inseam, as is in a couple pairs of my vintage trousers, to extend the front inseam. This is the trickiest, but had good results.

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks, Nick, for your input. I'm glad to know I'm not seeing things, and that it's not just my pattern that's screwy. I wish I'd caught it before cutting my mockup, I foresee at least one more mockup now. Almost wish I'd drafted a pattern from scratch, fixing it may turn out to be MORE work! Oh well.

What does the insert in the top of your vintage trousers look like? Did you add it for fit, or is it part of the design? I'm not planning to add an insert but instead add to the pattern pieces, but I'm interested in your method.

Snookie

Practically Family
I checked a couple pairs of my husband's trousers, and they have the same insert you mentioned - like a gusset, right? I remember when he had them made, he needed some more movement, so I guess that's how the tailor fixed it.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner