Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen what is the ideal lady for you?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
So woman/women is out too?

You'll have to ask the opposite sex human* you're speaking with her preference. But if you are asking me, you can call me gal. :) But I have no problem with female or woman.

*me being facetious

Pilgrim

One Too Many
As a latecomer to the thread, my comments...

I need to be teamed with a lady who is very intelligent - because life gets boring otherwise. A sense of humor is attractive and essential, both for life in general and for me, because sometimes the only thing you can do is laugh at the stuff I do. Patience is a big plus.

Honesty is essential! I don't play games with women / girl friends / lady friends / significant others and I never did. I can't tolerate being lied to and don't do it to others - and that trait while getting to know each other is a big downer to me. At least a reasonable number of common interests are important, as that gives us common ground.

And because I am a male (take the term as you will) and therefore visually oriented, attractiveness (in my personal, subjective perception) is needed. Of course, a good part of that criterion is that different people find different characteristics visually attractive...one size does not fit all.

That's a list as it occurs to me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fedord Spaniard said:
Gentlemen what is the ideal lady for you?

One with a really, really, really big roll.

money-roll-300x247.jpg

I keed, I keed. :p

Lorena B

Practically Family
Tomasso!! I dont believe you!!

There must be more than that.

Sometimes you need to see the inside of the person just to fall in love with them.
I think that is really important, once you know the inside of one person you see the outside even more beautiful

Mind you, there sure are extreme cases thou BUT BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER!!!
bearded-lady.jpg

funny_girl.jpg

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
My main requirements be that she is alive and conscious.

:p

But after that, I'd hope to find a woman who doesn't care about what is trendy, is indifferent about or dislikes television, and one who doesn't care that I don't own a car and have no intention to. Of course, ideally this woman would also not care to own a car, but I realize that is extremely rare in America. Basically, I'd like to meet someone who enjoys living a simple, unique life, with OR without me. I haven't found this woman yet, I'm afraid.

59Lark

Practically Family
its the ground round not the love in.

There is a scene is the old movie yours mine and ours, with henry fonda and lucille ball, where they are going to the hospital to have their first baby since the two main characters married and henry fonda character is explaining to one of the older daughters the real story about love. He explains real love isnt just the love in and the ten minute passion but ground round and dull boring times and waking up next to the same person for years. Pick up that movie or borrow it, and see what i mean. Pretty true message even for today, been married to my lady for twenty years this fall, and my whole life is my wife and two daughters . 59Lark:eek:

irb

Familiar Face
Holding people to an Ideal can be dangerous, but over time I've come to look for the following:

:: be able to hold her own in a conversation
:: be intellectually curious, even ravenously so
:: be patient with the world but know when to give it a good kick.
:: traits I respect in people tend to follow the guidelines, believe it or not, set out in the Scout Law: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. I don't think "obedient" really fits here (obvious, I hope) but if you were to interpret it as being, "has a personal ethos to which they adhere" it might.
:: ...and there's also Bobby Heinlein. As far as my ideal woman is concerned, she'd "be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly."
:: be visually appealing, which traits I think I'll keep to myself unless someone really wants to know
:: as religious compatibility is important, my ideal female companion would be atheist or strongly agnostic--but with a respect and even fascination for theology
:: be appreciative of subtlety, language, philosophy, and my awful, desperately unfunny sense of humor. *grin*

I think, all told, my girlfriend is a pretty good approximation of all that. I've just got to teach her to conn a ship. heh.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
irb said:
Holding people to an Ideal can be dangerous, but over time I've come to look for the following:

:: be able to hold her own in a conversation
:: be intellectually curious, even ravenously so
:: be patient with the world but know when to give it a good kick.
:: traits I respect in people tend to follow the guidelines, believe it or not, set out in the Scout Law: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. I don't think "obedient" really fits here (obvious, I hope) but if you were to interpret it as being, "has a personal ethos to which they adhere" it might.
:: ...and there's also Bobby Heinlein. As far as my ideal woman is concerned, she'd "be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly."
:: be visually appealing, which traits I think I'll keep to myself unless someone really wants to know
:: as religious compatibility is important, my ideal female companion would be atheist or strongly agnostic--but with a respect and even fascination for theology
:: be appreciative of subtlety, language, philosophy, and my awful, desperately unfunny sense of humor. *grin*

I think, all told, my girlfriend is a pretty good approximation of all that. I've just got to teach her to conn a ship. heh.

Hey man, good answer:) . I think you and I probably share the same kind of ideal woman we would like to have in our life. Most of the traits you listed are close to what i want myself. Cool Benny & Joon avatar.

irb

Familiar Face
Fedord Spaniard said:
Hey man, good answer:) . I think you and I probably share the same kind of ideal woman we would like to have in our life. Most of the traits you listed are close to what i want myself. Cool Benny & Joon avatar.

*grin* thanks a lot; though the avatar is from Jarmusch's Dead Man, not Benny and Joon.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
irb said:
*grin* thanks a lot; though the avatar is from Jarmusch's Dead Man, not Benny and Joon.

lol Sorry my mistake. I got it confuised cause of the hat Depp is wearing in the avatar. It reminded me of his Benny character.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
SuperKawaiiMama said:
Just a note dear Sir - As a rule we don't appreciate being called "females". It is rather de-humanising. "Ladies" is the preferred term, although not applicable to all I realise. If in doubt, stick with "women". :)

Well this started off as a good topic, that is until the second post. Too bad the topic got derailed.

There's always somebody who has to come and lecture. Eh?

Pip

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
Well this started off as a good topic, that is until the second post. Too bad the topic got derailed.

And there's always a person who brings up past points which have dicussed and then left behind...:rolleyes:

Especially when the original "note" (take note of that word...) was made in a light-hearted, friendly decent manner. Too bad that aspect of character didn't rub off onto your online personna.

Martinis at 8 said:

So true. Seems a more common phenomenon today concerning many topics. Hi-jackings that are even worded as "We"..determining that we(all woman) agree..or should agree..therefore my new topic supersedes the original topic. When this is accepted or confirmed by a few..perhaps then "we' can return to the beginning theme. However..if there are objections..that's a different matter....even subject to accusations of questionable charactor...
HD

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
So true. Seems a more common phenomenon today concerning many topics. Hi-jackings that are even worded as "We"..determining that we(all woman) agree..or should agree..therefore my new topic supersedes the original topic. When this is accepted or confirmed by a few..perhaps then "we' can return to the beginning theme. However..if there are objections..that's a different matter....even subject to accusations of questionable charactor...
HD

Yes, I think the main issue in the Anglophone world now is that the art of conversation is no longer an art, and even when artless, conversation does not even aspire to converse. It's more to engage in dominance, debate, verbal combat, or score points (like in post #76), etc. Not just on the internet either, but also IRL.

I've been through the whole thread. I invite all to count the posts relevant to the subject, as opposed to the posts relevant on the diction. Should a thread be derailed that much simply so someone can score points? While it may be said that I have contributed to this with my two posts in this thread, the topic was contaminated long before my arrival.

Maybe we need a Men's Locker Room, since the ladies have a Powder Room, at least for topics like this.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Martinis at 8 said:
Yes, I think the main issue in the Anglophone world now is that the art of conversation is no longer an art, and even when artless, conversation does not even aspire to converse. It's more to engage in dominance, debate, verbal combat, or score points (like in post #76), etc. Not just on the internet, either, but also IRL.

Well...we're off and running on a new tack here. I'm not at all sure I disagree with your comment above, Mat8....but I'm not at ALL sure this is a new phenomenon. Uhhhh....read some of Dr. Johnson's repartee....or Oscar Wilde's....or any of the Round Table crew (just to hit the Golden Age a LITTLE bit.... ;) ): this is humanity we're talking about here, and it doesn't change much.

What the Internet has done, however, is to take the kind of off-the-cuff comment we all make--and always HAVE made--set it in stone, and allow the entire world to listen in.

At the end of the day--for those who get upset (I'm one of them, frequently!) and for those who get upset at those who get upset (which I assure you, I'm not right now)....it seems to me the take-home here is....none of this really matters much. It is a passing conversation...just written down.

Just one man's opinion, as always,
"Skeet"

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Getting back on topic, the ideal woman for me is certainly not someone who is always correcting me lol

Got a story to tell: I am at an airport waiting on a Southwest airlines flight. At that time Southwest was not queuing like they queue today. Some lady decides to go around policing up the line. Normally you stand in line, but this female decided that the line should start from the closest row of chairs to the gate, so that to queue you have to sit in a chair and not stand at the gate. An unknowing man walks up to the gate and queues as normal. This lady goes up and tells him he has to queue by sitting in the row of chairs (though no chairs are left). An argument ensues. It's hilarious.

Meanwhile, I am sitting in a chair next to a guy who is talking football with me. He glances over at the argument and rolls his eyes. The lady then comes over to this guy and interrupts our football discussion. She complains about the guy who is queuing at the gate. The guy says "honey, I am talking football right now". She storms off and continues her queue-police activities. I then ask the guy if he finds himself getting into fistfights when she does that being that she's his wife. He says not anymore and that he just ignores it when she does this. I ask him why he puts up with it. He answers the sex is pretty good. We have a laugh and get back to football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn