Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen what is the ideal lady for you?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
There's lots of things I don't agree with but I do my best to be polite to people. Besides, this isn't a choice that means somebody is acting like a jerk or treating others badly.

If you see a lady in an unflattering dress, do you walk up and say so? How's this any different?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
No, it certainly ain't. I have nothing whatsoever against any sexual or gender orientation. Never have, never will. I was trying to point out that some labels can and do hurt, and that labels should ultimately be chosen and designated by those communities to which they refer ... whether ladies, gentlemen, etc.

Thanks for clarifying, and I agree. Most transpeople I know would probably be quite offended by the term "shemale", if you want an answer.

HoosierDaddy said:
Fear or hatred...what?...huh??? Last time you checked?..uh..with whom??
I just think this phobia-itis can become quite comical...
...just as a painted up cartoon charactor "presentation" portrayed as normal is "still" just as absurd to us surviving Phobia-ites.....last time I checked.
I do regret that I have become involved in yet another hi-jack.
...and ,yes,...I am usually a Hi-jack-a-phobic.

I don't even know what you are talking about here.

HoosierDaddy said:
..BTW...there are certain behaviors that I still don't respect. Never have...never will.
...and sometimes...the truth hurts...no matter how you may want it to look respectfull.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're basically saying you don't approve of the behaviors of transpeople (the behavior, I assume, meaning their gender presentation that is different from their biological sex).

That can be your truth, but it certainly isn't the truth. And just because you do not like who someone is because of something that ultimately doesn't concern you doesn't mean you get a free pass to disrespect them.

This is just a general statement that I think everyone in the world would benefit from:

Okay, you don't like Susie Q down the block because she's a feminist/queer/was born a man/Chinese/poor/disabled/too fat/too thin/rich/a Republican/an atheist/a Communist/white but dating a black person, WHATEVER. Great. Now that you know you don't like that about her it's time to step back, take a look at yourself, re-evaluate your thinking, grow up, get over it and move forward.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
015.gif

Kadri

Familiar Face
I just love how wonderfully 'classy' and 'polite',not to mention 'tolerant' the FL has become lately :rolleyes:
Especially the 'gentlemen'...

You all do realize,that if you want that certain 'classy lady' to come along,you have to have some lessons in classy behaviour,too,no...

'Gentleman' is a title you have to earn,too!

Yeah, I try to live by the rule of being polite to others until they demand otherwise by words or actions. Like Master Smith once said:
"Be polite, be courteous--but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." By which I believe he meant "show goodwill to others, but have an option to deal with it should they not return the courtesy and decide to Start The Party."

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hmmm, to me it doesn't matter if we're talking about a man or a woman, the same things apply. It's what I would look for in a friend or a partner and it won't change, although the balance of the parts can obviously be hugely variable. In no particular order:

Honesty and Truthfulness - it's amazing how similar and yet how different these two things can be.
Integrity
Honour
Just being straightforward and upfront
Communicative
Kind
Sympathetic
Empathetic
Curious
Explorative
Adventurous, in whatever way that means to that person
Sense of humour
Vitality
Intelligent, not your nobel winning intelligence, just "I want to know more" intelligence.
Non bigotted, and all the other non's that we all know satellite around that.
Patient
Tolerant
Individual
Self reliant
Independant
Self supporting
No substance addictions, none, absolutely.
Likes me for me, and I'm hardly any of the above.:D

I'm not considering looks or dress style or anything like that. The most beautiful person in the world doesn't necessarly come well packaged. I hope I'm growing up enough to recognise that when he or she walks up to me.

pigeon toe said:
I don't even know what you are talking about here.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're basically saying you don't approve of the behaviors of transpeople (the behavior, I assume, meaning their gender presentation that is different from their biological sex).

That can be your truth, but it certainly isn't the truth. And just because you do not like who someone is because of something that ultimately doesn't concern you doesn't mean you get a free pass to disrespect them.

Simply put....it is not mandatory(yet) that I must go along with the program just because others now somehow deem it a social neccessity. Those who may require or even insist that I must change my way of thinking...my values..to accomadate any type of behavoir seem more the disrespecters. However,so far..I'm still allowed to "think" as I want...although I must watch what I say..or be labeled as some kind of "Phobic". A demeaning title only to emphasize some foul disagreer who just doesn't seem to go along with newer ideas of truths.
Thanks..but no thanks. I don't respect certain behaviors..or even certain actions of those participating who desire to make it seem acceptable and appropiate. Sadly..yes it is evenyually of everyone's concern..and does effect us all.

tuppence

Practically Family
Kadri said:
I just love how wonderfully 'classy' and 'polite',not to mention 'tolerant' the FL has become lately :rolleyes:
Especially the 'gentlemen'...

You all do realize,that if you want that certain 'classy lady' to come along,you have to have some lessons in classy behaviour,too,no...

'Gentleman' is a title you have to earn,too!
Well said Kadri:eusa_clap

Barchetta52

New in Town
Paisley said:
You can make a wonderful list of qualifications. But when you fall in love, the list is suddenly forgotten. (Of course, you don't have to act on the attraction.)

You are so right! If you try to quantify it you'll miss the best part.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Simply put....it is not mandatory(yet) that I must go along with the program just because others now somehow deem it a social neccessity. Those who may require or even insist that I must change my way of thinking...my values..to accomadate any type of behavoir seem more the disrespecters. However,so far..I'm still allowed to "think" as I want...although I must watch what I say..or be labeled as some kind of "Phobic". A demeaning title only to emphasize some foul disagreer who just doesn't seem to go along with newer ideas of truths.
Thanks..but no thanks. I don't respect certain behaviors..or even certain actions of those participating who desire to make it seem acceptable and appropiate. Sadly..yes it is evenyually of everyone's concern..and does effect us all.

Well said! :eusa_clap

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
HoosierDaddy said:

No, HD, it is not everyone's concern: Our thoughts are our own concern and no one has the right to tell us otherwise.

We all have the right to like or dislike anyone, for any reason. "No shirt, no shoes, no service," one might say. What get me are the people who insist on tolerance at all costs, but are completely intolerant of any person who has a thought that is different from theirs, and then go on to tell us that we have to think their way because it's the "better" way: Hardly the definition of tolerance. That's being intolerant of someone for how they think, not where they landed in society or what they do.

We all have the right to think and speak for ourselves, and if someone can't tolerate that, that's their problem, not mine, at least until they attempt to take away my constitutional right to be myself. I don't believe in changing someone for either my own purposes or for "the better good"; I believe in accepting them for who they are or avoiding them for who they are. I decide who I like or dislike, and why.

And now for something back on topic:

If she insists I fight for her, she may end up walking home: It would certainly be the last time she ever sees me, because she would not be anywhere near my ideal lady. In fact, I wouldn't even consider her to be a lady, because a lady will respect her man's wish to not fight as much as a man should be willing to fight for her when, and only when, it is absolutely necessary. I will fight for her, but only as a last resort.

Making certain that she is safe and unharmed is my real concern, and if I can also get out unscathed, all the better.

Lee

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Try to stay on topic please.

Paisley said:
^ Yes. There's always PM if you want to discuss something off topic.

Absolutely.Please try to stick to the topic of the thread ladies and gents, thanks guys for your cooperation ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner