Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Sunny

One Too Many
I do. And my brothers do. And my dad has borrowed one, on occasion.

We've used them when working in the yard, primarily. The boys used theirs on a couple of canoe trips down the Brazos as well (and for some reason while playing Medal of Honor). I wore mine to a Fort Worth Cats baseball game once, too, but that was just because I felt like it.

For the most part, we use them in situations when they're meant to be used: when working outdoors in the sun and heat. As rgraham said, it's the best hat ever made for the conditions it was meant to conquer. And it's fun when the wind whistles through the holes.

DSC00399-1.jpg

Barz51

New in Town
I bought a new pith helmet last year on Ebay. I wore it once to a car show/swap meet at the high school where I work. It was awesome! It kept my face and neck out of the sun for most of the day, let the cool breeze through to my scalp, and it only weight about a pound. If you look at the some of the old pictures from the dry lakes you will see that pith helmets were very popular in the early days of Bonneville and El Mirage. In fact they are still popular today.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I met my wife while wearing a pith helmet! I really like mine, as ratty as it is. Mine is a U.S. Navy piece, probably from the Vietnam era, but as you can see from this picture of my grandfather in 1942, they didn't change much from WWII:

Family_Album.jpg

I don't usually find enough excuses to wear mine unfortunately. If I ever get to El Mirage or Bonneville you can bet my pith helmet will come with me. Also, when I get my first house I intend to also obtain a reel mower so I can wear it while mowing the lawn (they don't work very well with decent hearing protection to use while riding or pushing a gasoline-powered mower).

I still see the occasional postal carrier wearing one, but theirs are medium blue and never looked as "summery" as a white or khaki one.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Pith Finders

Here's yours truly at Governor's Island last June, displaying my pith helmet.
Propeller.jpg

I believe I have just discovered a bronze propeller.
Pith helmets are cool (in more ways than one). They can be great on a really sweltering sunny day. What you do is you soak them in water in advance. The cork material they are made of absorbs the moisture, and as it evaporates through the day, your skull is kept cool. I tried it and it worked, and it didn't ruin the helmet. If you had a vintage pith, I suppose that might not be advisable.
I got mine at a military surplus store in Northern Virginia. I was surprised to see that it was made in Vietnam. They had an interesting variety of styles. They had this, which would be the standard British Empire helmet, they had a pure white one, without the pugaree, or cloth wrapping, which resembles the style worn in the movie "Zulu", and they had the "General Giap" style, from Southeast Asia. All very well built. Not toys.
If you get one, you too can become a member of the Fedora Lounge Pith Finders.
And yes, one can feel a little . . . let's say conspicuous. . . if you wear one, but we're all used to that, right? ;)

Mark G

A-List Customer
We tend to think of a pith as a silly looking hat, but they have a very practical use. The pith (mostly cork) was soaked in water at the beginning of the day and when the water evaporated it acted like a swamp cooler.

It's a shame that old technology isn't appreciated. I'd say the same thing for a western hat in the desert. The reason for wearing these hats hasn't changed.

Dhermann1, just a second on your post and your pith looks great.

Stan

A-List Customer
Thanks!

Hi,

Well, learn something new every day. Especially around here!

I never knew about the water evap. feature. Now, that's cool - literally!

I may have to get one to use instead of straw for summer farm chores.

I always thought that they were just another military combat protective helmet that was just superseded by other materials and designs (steel, kevlar, etc) over the years.

Thanks!!

Stan

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mark G said:
We tend to think of a pith as a silly looking hat, but they have a very practical use. The pith (mostly cork) was soaked in water at the beginning of the day and when the water evaporated it acted like a swamp cooler.

It's a shame that old technology isn't appreciated. I'd say the same thing for a western hat in the desert. The reason for wearing these hats hasn't changed.

Dhermann1, just a second on your post and your pith looks great.

It seems like I remember that the same "dunk and cool" process will also work with a felt hat. :)

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
im glad this came up! i just found my first pith helmet the other day at a thrift store looks exactly like this
01010901020601040920080416d09e77611bf0916d19002ea8.jpg

it seems like the ideal warm weather head gear but is it worth the slings and arrow of outragous commentary [huh]

I wear mine when doing extensive yard work at church.

In hot weather in various places I have seen the outdoors postal workers will wearing them.

I seem to recall the state parks and beach workers back east NY-Jones Beach-Robert Moses wearing them sometimes, although that is several decades ago.

So they are uncommon in some situations and more common in others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24