Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Richard

Familiar Face
hikes

there were good moments and bad moments. Like any adventure. The secret to kd hiking is not to go too far, and I always push that a bit. t he little guy rides ina pack. we mad eit to a cool mountain stream where we spent an hour or so splashing around. what is better in life than getting real hot ona hike and then putting your feet in freezing cold water and feeling cold all over? nothing really. there was one unfortunate poison oak incident toward the very end....but not bad...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
TR

Ever read about Theodore Roosevelt's point-to-point hikes? A straight line (more or less) would be imagined between two points of some distance - a mile or more. TR and all the children would tramp from point to point, the only rule being that you could go over, under or through any obstacle, but never around.
And I can't think of a thing that is better than splashing about in a cold stream after a hot hike. You probably have a great summer ahead.

Mulberrywood

New in Town
Pith helmets online?

I am looking for a pith helmet to wear on summer hikes. Years ago I lived in India and had a great pith helmet but I can't remember the brand name. It probably was made in India but I am not sure.

It did not look like the old British Africa style helmets. It had a more casual modern look to it.

Any suggestions for good websites?

Thank you!

riccardo

Practically Family
Wonderful.

How much wonderful is the history of each one hat.
I have never read the history and the functions of a pith helmet, great idea!

Many thanks to you for this opportunity.

With compliments.

Riccardo.

Mulberrywood

New in Town
Sharpetoys,

Thank you very much for the website! I like your choice but I may go with the Indian style for memories sake. Although the French one looked good and has the biggest brim according to the description.

Thanks again!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Pith Helmet

When a neighbor let me borrow his pith helmet I couldn't help it....I had to make another quirky self-portrait. I don't see myself wearing this in public, though.

enlargedpithpinch100.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe it's from Way Out West - the frock coats are more fitting to its old west setting than the (relatively) contemporary Flying Deuces. If I recall correctly, the song and dance they are delightfully performing is "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine".

But I'm not the expert - I've got a friend who has long held the position of Keeper of the Celluloid in the NYC Tent of The Sons of the Desert - I should ask him...

(Oh, and I've got a pith helmet somewhere - but it's closer to the safari style than the Army type one in your picture.)

Doctor Strange said:
I believe it's from Way Out West - the frock coats are more fitting to its old west setting than the (relatively) contemporary Flying Deuces. If I recall correctly, the song and dance they are delightfully performing is "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine".

But I'm not the expert - I've got a friend who has long held the position of Keeper of the Celluloid in the NYC Tent of The Sons of the Desert - I should ask him...

(Oh, and I've got a pith helmet somewhere - but it's closer to the safari style than the Army type one in your picture.)

This Way out West? :p
maewest.jpg

Now you have me confused. :D

Regards,

J

USMC Pith helemt

Now I can't recall where I got it, but I have a USMC pith helemet, which I use as my hot weather hat when helping out mowing the lawns at church. It has a heavy plastic suspension set up and the sweat band is like vinyl. As I sweat the band keeps the sweat from coming down, so when I take it off, theres a flood of sweat like a dam burst.:eusa_doh:

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
John, I have one of those pith helmets, too. I found a great solution. I took an extra headband from a kevlar helmet, and put that inside as well. The headbands for the kevlars attach inside with little velcro strips that wrap around the headband in the pith helmet perfectly. Voila! You have a leather sweatband! I should mention that I wear a 7, and when I put in the kevlar headband, I had to almost max out the headband inside the pith helmet to accomodate the extra bulk of the double headband. It really works swell, though! I could post some pics of the type of headband I used, if anyone is interested.

Mojave Jack said:
I took an extra headband from a kevlar helmet, and put that inside as well. The headbands for the kevlars attach inside with little velcro strips that wrap around the headband in the pith helmet perfectly.
++++++++++
Interesting Idea! I was thinking of a way to do a cloth set up that would be absorbant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21