Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Does this vintage Abercrombie & Fitch panama sun hat count?
:D

panama011.jpg
:eusa_clap :D :D Gonna wear that one to the next meet?

rgraham

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
I have an entire collection of them. My "beater" helmet is one of the African-style piths from Village Hat Shop. It's a decent helmet but the crown is a bit low. I also own one of the Wolseley pith helmets from What Price Glory...a really nice helmet. Currently I am on the lookout for one of the Indian-style helmets with the quilted cover. Below is my prize piece, an original 1930s Abercrombie & Fitch helmet in my size and in near perfect condition.

Can you please post some photos of the WPG Wolseley? Inside and out? That is the coolest style of pith helmet to me. It looks nice on their website, but I'd really like to see how it's built on the inside.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Boodles said:
...When the weather cools some and we go walking/hiking, in the mountains or wherever, I like to wear the old BR pith along with Orvis "India Cloth" shirt and pants, my good old Bean brown leather boots and a home spun bamboo walking stick. That often gets the Patagonia crowd, including my wife who is nearly mortified to be seen with me, sort of spun up.

You should see these folks, then.

http://www.historicalhillwalkers.com/

B
T

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Below is my prize piece, an original 1930s Abercrombie & Fitch helmet in my size and in near perfect condition.

That A&F is really something. Very nice -

big kahuna

Familiar Face
KILO NOVEMBER said:
I'd love to have one, but at 7 3/4, I can't get one.
The open weave one that the Mail Carriers wear (also worn by utility workers in my area) are available at uniform supply companies (where cops, postlal workers, etc, buy their uniforms). I bought a white one that fits my 8 1/4 bucket, and sprayed it dark green for Venture Scout activities.

Levallois

Practically Family
Standard kit for the gentleman-officer during the Boer War - Wolseley pattern pith helmet, Stohwasser gaiters, silver-tipped swagger-stick, and Mauser Broomhandle purchased at Westley Richards (and so marked). I have a photo around here somewhere of me wearing these but I can't find the dang thing.

DSC00057.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Levallois said:
Standard kit for the gentleman-officer during the Boer War - Wolseley pattern pith helmet, Stohwasser gaiters, silver-tipped swagger-stick, and Mauser Broomhandle purchased at Westley Richards (and so marked). I have a photo around here somewhere of me wearing these but I can't find the dang thing.

Shades of Omdurman and young Winston Churchill, too... :eusa_clap

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Levallois said:

DSC00057.jpg

Very nice! That photo prompted me to do this grouping of an RAF Officer in India during WWII...
100_2601-1.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes indeed.
The "Casco Coloniale M35" is one of the more stylish tropical helmets,
similar to the Wolsely but, yes, more stylish.
The very early ones were woven wicker, with no cloth cover, then
there were covered ones, then the cloth covered cork model we mostly see.
The Italians were also great at decorating them, with fancy cockades and loads of feathers. The M35 helmet has a sewn-on pouch on the side, for the attachment of the feathers.

B
T

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mike K that A&F pith is a beaut.

What a treasure.

Mike K. said:
I have an entire collection of them. My "beater" helmet is one of the African-style piths from Village Hat Shop. It's a decent helmet but the crown is a bit low. I also own one of the Wolseley pith helmets from What Price Glory...a really nice helmet. Currently I am on the lookout for one of the Indian-style helmets with the quilted cover. Below is my prize piece, an original 1930s Abercrombie & Fitch helmet in my size and in near perfect condition.

G2SM1a746cc5-e3ec-4d3c-a928-206f1d3.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Yes indeed.
The "Casco Coloniale M35" is one of the more stylish tropical helmets,
similar to the Wolsely but, yes, more stylish.
The very early ones were woven wicker, with no cloth cover, then
there were covered ones, then the cloth covered cork model we mostly see.
The Italians were also great at decorating them, with fancy cockades and loads of feathers. The M35 helmet has a sewn-on pouch on the side, for the attachment of the feathers.

B
T

For the feathers of the Bersaglieri, I presume, and not the Alpini...?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Still Authorized

The pith helmet is still an authorized uniform item for wear in the US Navy. It is an optional item for wear with the tropical uniform, either white or Khaki. Although, the uniform regs call it a “tropical helmet”. I have seen it worn in Guam and it can still be purchased in the Uniform shop

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'm one of KilroyCD's friends who wears one at the auction. I forgot mine today and it was a PITA to be spotted by both my father and another friend. Mine is a US surplus one, rather modern, but I also have a WW2 Navy one stenciled with a ships wheel on the front and a "Q.M." on the back.

Matt

NeilA

Familiar Face
The pith helmet

A few questions:

1) Where did you get yours?
2) Does style of the helmet change function? (is one style better at keeping you cool for example)
3) What can you wear one with? Only your "adventure gear"?

Just a wave of curiosity rolled over me. I had to know. :)

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
My grandfather wore a pith helmet when he did yard work. I inherited it, but never wore it much. Frankly, I'd rather wear a straw in the heat of summer. Eventually, I think my wife quietly did away with the old pith helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80