Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes Leather

triple-d

A-List Customer
I'm in the market for a leather jacket. Been reading up for the last week or so. I'm sure I want to fork out 1k+ for a jacket yet. The Gibson and Barnes seem to be a mid priced jaqcket. Wondering if anyone owns one, or if there is another maker that would be considered a good mid priced jacket.....4 to 6 hundred bucks?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I own three G&B jackets and have spent several hours at the G&B factory in San Diego trying on numerous models. My two favorites are the Expedition (Indy) and the AN-J-3 models but am also very partial to the M-422-A and "historic" (and more expensive) A-2's. G&B jackets are a great value in the mid-range and particularly worthwhile for US buyers.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Try doing some searches - there's a vast amount of discussion of G&B jackets here.

I've had two G&B jackets for a long time and like them a lot. A Civil A-2 I got 11 years ago, and a M-422A I got 8 years ago. Both are goatskin and have held up very well. G&B is a very solid maker for their price range.

The other mid-range American maker to consider is US Authentic, if their weird trim-but-long sizing would work for you. I had one of their horsehide A-2s for several years, but it never really fit me right - I'm a widebody - and became too tight when I gained a few pounds. But the jacket had a lot of character, with a rough-hewn, handmade feel that was quite different from the G&B jackets.

triple-d

A-List Customer
I went to there site and watched a few of there videos......looks like a nice jackets. I'm tall....6ft. 6....so sleeve length is always my first concern, and they do have talls.
I will check out US Authentics....

thor

Call Me a Cab
I went to there site and watched a few of there videos......looks like a nice jackets. I'm tall....6ft. 6....so sleeve length is always my first concern, and they do have talls.

If you're tall, US Authentic may be the better option. They add 2 inches to sleeve and body length for their tall sizes while G&B only add 1 inch.
I'm also tall with long arms and the US A fit me better.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just a couple things to keep in mind re US-A: He's a one-man shop at a modest pricepoint, so don't expect it to look or feel like an original.
-Topstitching is 1/4" all around, no exceptions.
-Liners are brushed twill and heavier than you may be used to.
-He offers an option of horsehide because it's horsehide, not for any crisp drapey feel. His is thicker and more spongy. Anything else would either be much more expensive or some kind of cow. The goatskin is quite nice, BTW.

Last edited:

Dracorex

Familiar Face
I guess I would have a couple of questions for you. What type of body do you have? Are you thin or do you have a more modern wide body physique. Do you want the jacket to fit skin tight or do you want a roomier fit. I have purchased G-1 jackets from most of the mid priced companies. US Wings, US Authentic, San Diego Leather, Cockpit and Gibson & Barnes. In my opinion, when it comes to quality, material and workmanship, Gibson & Barnes is by far the best jacket. My only problem with them though is that their jackets are cut much fuller for the more modern physique so if you are thin like I am, this could be a problem. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 180 lbs and usually wear a size 44 jacket but with Gibson & Barnes I had to go down to a size 42. The chest, shoulder and sleeve length were all good but the body of the jacket still fit like a tent! The nice thing about Gibson & Barnes is that they have a very generous no hassle return policy so if the jacket doesn't fit you can always send it back for a return or exchange.

triple-d

A-List Customer
I guess I would have a couple of questions for you. What type of body do you have? Are you thin or do you have a more modern wide body physique. Do you want the jacket to fit skin tight or do you want a roomier fit. I have purchased G-1 jackets from most of the mid priced companies. US Wings, US Authentic, San Diego Leather, Cockpit and Gibson & Barnes. In my opinion, when it comes to quality, material and workmanship, Gibson & Barnes is by far the best jacket. My only problem with them though is that their jackets are cut much fuller for the more modern physique so if you are thin like I am, this could be a problem. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 180 lbs and usually wear a size 44 jacket but with Gibson & Barnes I had to go down to a size 42. The chest, shoulder and sleeve length were all good but the body of the jacket still fit like a tent! The nice thing about Gibson & Barnes is that they have a very generous no hassle return policy so if the jacket doesn't fit you can always send it back for a return or exchange.

I'm 6ft. 6 and 230...not quite a modern physique, but getting there...just a small tool shed. I wear a 48 long in sport coats/suite coats...sometimes a 50 long, depending on the maker.
I'm leaning towards the G&B 422 in a 50 long. I like a little room. I'm over 50 so the slim fashion statement isn't as high on the list as comfy is.;) The hassle free return policy helps a great deal.
I'm feeling buyers remorse already........I saw about 4 other jackets that I want from them...:eeek::eeek: .......sure hope it doesn't fit..:eeek:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I've had their A-2 now for 13 years (Flightsuits back then) and it's a tough jacket. The goat only shows wear around the protruding edges so it does not show age like I expect cowhide to. I ordered it with a thinsulate liner and it definitely is not a tight fitting jacket like the others have mentioned. FWIW, I'm 6'3", 230 lbs, have long neanderthal arms and normally wear a 44L or 46L suit.

I'd suggest you have them send you a 48T and 50T and see which fits better. Then return them and place your real order with the options (if any) that you want. G&B is one of the best values around IMO. I just wish they'd make some more styles.

nick123

I'll Lock Up

6'6" is tall. I'm 6'2" and the Gibson Barnes size 38 and 40s in tall sizes I tried on were "just" long enough. I imagine going up in sizes does add some extra length as well but I'm not sure if the tall sizes would be enough length for you. You can purchase a jacket and return it hassle free if its too short. But don't forget to take length measurements for reference before you send back if you decide to: (Back collar seam to bottom of jacket for length measurement/shoulder seam to end of sleeve for sleeve measurement).
I've found the GB size charts to not be very helpful, so keep asking for advice/measurements here if you need help. If you have another jacket (or shirt) with a length you prefer that will put you in the ballpark of what you should be looking for,

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
i own Aero, Johnson Leathers and others. My Gibson and Barnes jackets are very well made with excellent materials. I don't see them as lesser than the other brands.

Physicist

New in Town
I bought a G&B M-422A a couple months ago. It's a very nice jacket. I like it a lot.

However, it's too big for me. I ordered a size 46, and it's as big as my Cockpit A2 which is a size 48 (also too big for me, of course).

The pit-to-pit measurement across the chest for both of these jackets is 27.5". I've bought some leather jackets in varying sizes from eBay sellers, and it seems that a 24" pit-to-pit measurement jacket fits me well. 25" if I want it a little looser.

So. I'm thinking about selling my M-422A, and maybe I'll order a smaller one.

Dracorex

Familiar Face
HaHa! Actually, I kind of plagiarized when I used those words. One of my favorite posters on The Fedora Lounge, "Doctor Strange" used wide body to describe himself. Gibson & Barnes jackets are cut for a wider body but when you look at the average american at least, that is the way most people are built. People like me who are stick skinny are the minority these days.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I sized down for my Civil A-2 and found the fit a bit tight. But, there was still excess material in the back. It wasn't streamlined, but it was far from a bad fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy