Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
I just purchased a corset (not as sturdy as I hoped, but not lingerie either) it's LOVELY, I don't think I'll ever actually wear it under day clothes, but It's adorable (gold with black lace/trim) It's great.unfortunately it just barely fits, if I lose ANY weight (even a pound) it'll be slipping off :(

Sweet! You can eat more cookies! :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol, true, but I just started a new diet...I'm about 30 pounds OVER weight. :rage: *Sigh* life's full of sticky situations isn't it.[huh] :rolleyes:

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Have you tried yoga at all? It completely transformed my posture in a pretty short amount of time.

See, my experience has been different. I don't wear waist cinchers, but my posture did improve even when I just started wearing a panty girdle.

Kitty T,
When I first started therapy, I did nothing, but yoga. It was great! I didn't realize the small movements can be the most difficult and painful. I need to do it again, it got me to where I am. I do a lot of strength/resistance training now. My husband was sweet enough to buy me a sleep number bed...what a difference!

The cincher thing may make my lower posture straighter (I never really paid much attention, actually)...I'm thinking of my upper/shoulder area(where my noticeable probalem is). I have developed sway back, I think, from wearing heels for years. I just started wearing creepers to work, and my back has been so formed by the heels, that when I wear flats, I get a pinch nerve in my lumbar area...kinda scarey.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Mrs. Merl said:
I can certainly second yoga - it is awesome for...well everything!! (I tell people it is like seeing a really gentle chiropractor - it takes a little longer but the benefits seem to last longer! And it doesn't cost a dime!)

And I can also recommend weight lifting - it has been like a miracle for my back!

Mrs. Merl,
Restistance with weight machines is what I'm doing now. I'm proud to say, I pull 95 lbs, on the row machine! LOL
My posture is sooo much better!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
So does anyone have any current favorites for pretty underthings? I don't really need much in the way of controlling under garments - but I love pretty under things and I would love to have more vintage looking unders - but have pretty much no luck when searching for items of this nature. Some of the things I had seen previously are gone - so whats currently available out there?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mrs. Merl said:
So does anyone have any current favorites for pretty underthings? I don't really need much in the way of controlling under garments - but I love pretty under things and I would love to have more vintage looking unders - but have pretty much no luck when searching for items of this nature. Some of the things I had seen previously are gone - so whats currently available out there?

My current favorites are the nylon undies, especially the so-sexy sheer ones! They aren't always the healthiest thing to wear, but they feel wonderful and luxurious, and are quite lovely. Some can be a bit pricey, but they are worth it! I love the ones from Secrets in Lace - and while some of their items are quite expensive, they do have some affordable nylon undies. I've also recently found http://www.satinroseintimates.com/, where you can find a large range of lovely, vintage-style underthings, including tap pants and pettipants :)

TE308pink.jpg

This style is almost exactly like a pair I got from Secrets in Lace, but for $4.50 instead of $15 or so... these also resemble many of the vintage Vanity Fair panties you can find on Ebay.
DB1232fuchsia.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
If I want to permanently shape the area between my navel and hip bone, your know, where love handles usually are :rolleyes:, what are my options? At the beginning of this thread someone said you can only do this by wearing corsets, on the other hand I have read (somewhere in this thread) that women in the past had a shaped body because they wore shapeware almost 24/7!

Can well-made shapewear like Rago mold that area, too? I think that's the only area where I need some shaping to have a silhouette suitable for the New Look era (let's talk about bras later....). There might be better options to get the most accurate look (yes I read through the whole girdlezone.org site), but I would love to "enter the girdle world" little by little and start with a garter belt or short panty girdle - what would you recommend for starters?
The Rago 72522 garter belt has caught my eye, what do you think?

Tallulah

New in Town
Darhling said:
Okay, for all the girls who are appleshaped like me and need their waist defined just short of a corset, I can STRONGLY recommend the rago cincher 21. I don't really have that much fat on my hips, it is all on my tummy, so I want defined waist - I got 2 sizes smaller than my actual waistsize so I was worried about if I could fit in it, but no problem. I really like that it only sucks in the waist (were I only need it) so I get a great hourglass shape.

GET IT!! And get it in a size smaller at least :D

That is exactly what I need. I am apple shaped as well. Am ordering now and will let you know. Thank you! :)

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
My current favorites are the nylon undies, especially the so-sexy sheer ones! They aren't always the healthiest thing to wear, but they feel wonderful and luxurious, and are quite lovely. Some can be a bit pricey, but they are worth it! I love the ones from Secrets in Lace - and while some of their items are quite expensive, they do have some affordable nylon undies. I've also recently found http://www.satinroseintimates.com/, where you can find a large range of lovely, vintage-style underthings, including tap pants and pettipants :)

DB1232fuchsia.jpg

why not healthy? forgive my ignorance.

Try as I might, I love vintage clothes, but I cant get into the undies.
I want to like them, and I LOVE the bras.. but the undies, riding that high, is sucha bother.
I guess Its wired into my brain from growing up in the low rise generation...

my husband hates them too ,so I am embarrassed to wear them [huh]
But I really want to be into it. lol

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Make your own?

Do any of you ladies make your own lingerie, ie, bras and tap pants? I have seen several vintage patterns that are for lingerie and I wondered if anyone has ever tried making their own. I have looked on ebay at the lingerie they have there, but I can't get past what my mother has drilled into me: NEVER wear someone else's used underpants. So I thought maybe I could make my own, but wanted some feedback on how difficult it is and what methods are best. Any thoughts?
Sarah

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT, I agree, Secrets in Lace have wonderful panties!

My favorites, though, because it's become so expensive to order from the US, are these from What Katie Did:

blackout.french.ct.jpg

I hadn't looked at their site for a while, and I just saw they have a wonderful bullet bra with sheer cups, the Cabaret 1940s Bra, I would post the picture if I could, but there is visible nudity. I think I shall have to order one right now!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
newtovintage said:
Do any of you ladies make your own lingerie, ie, bras and tap pants? I have seen several vintage patterns that are for lingerie and I wondered if anyone has ever tried making their own. I have looked on ebay at the lingerie they have there, but I can't get past what my mother has drilled into me: NEVER wear someone else's used underpants. So I thought maybe I could make my own, but wanted some feedback on how difficult it is and what methods are best. Any thoughts?
Sarah
I have made my own bras before. The hardest thing about bra making is the fitting. It took me 3 attempts in a bra class to get the fit just right. But once the fit of your pattern is right, bras take about 1-2hrs to make from cutting to finishing. They are not difficult to make at all. All you really need is a regular machine that can zigzag. A 3 step zigzag is nice and looks more RTW, but not required. You don't need a serger. http://www.sewsassy.com/ is where I get all my fabrics and notions and she carries all the Kwiksew and Stretch and Sew patterns.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
My favorites, though, because it's become so expensive to order from the US

Yeah, What Katie Did is nice, but I refuse to order from them. Even without shipping, it's just way overpriced.

I hadn't looked at their site for a while, and I just saw they have a wonderful bullet bra with sheer cups, the Cabaret 1940s Bra, I would post the picture if I could, but there is visible nudity. I think I shall have to order one right now!

Well I tell ya what, Secrets in Lace has a sheer bullet bra for $36, which is cheaper than the WKD one and looks exactly the same. Although WKD might be cheaper for you given the shipping.

But anyway, that's what really bugs me about WKD - a lot of their items look exactly like items that I can get elsewhere for a lot less! Of course, right now, the Pound is waaaay down against the dollar, so it might not be a bad time!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Yeah, I agree WKD is expensive, it's just one of the few places in Europe that offer that sort of lingerie. For me it can often get just as expensive to order from the US because unfortunately it's not just the shipping, I have to pay 25-30% sales tax too when ordering from outside the EU. :( It sucks.

Before shipping got more expensive and before they got this strict on the sales tax (earlier many more packages that were under $100 passed through without tax being added) I used to love ordering from Secrets in Lace and Girdlebound. Thanks for the tip about the bra from SiL, I'll check it out, maybe it's still cheaper, everything considered.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
exquisitebones said:
Try as I might, I love vintage clothes, but I cant get into the undies.
I want to like them, and I LOVE the bras.. but the undies, riding that high, is sucha bother.
I guess Its wired into my brain from growing up in the low rise generation...

my husband hates them too ,so I am embarrassed to wear them [huh]
But I really want to be into it. lol

I tend to wear thongs under my girdles, even though that's not period correct. Period correct was wearing the granny panties over the girdle, or tap pants.
I don't like to wear high waisted panties unless I have good reason to, and so far I haven't found many! lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I tend to wear thongs under my girdles, even though that's not period correct. Period correct was wearing the granny panties over the girdle, or tap pants.

I do the same thing, but only because I don't like hiking my girdle up high enough to be able to wear something over it.

I don't like to wear high waisted panties unless I have good reason to, and so far I haven't found many! lol

I love wearing high-waisted panties. I find that you end up with fewer visible lines when the waistbands of everything you're wearing fall at the same place. I like that high waisted panties almost always have a full rear, which I HAVE to have. If it's not a thong, I don't want it up my bum, thankyouverymuch. I also think they look better on (I mean, if someone else is seeing them) because they fall at the smallest part of your waist, which is extremely flattering.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Yeah, I agree WKD is expensive, it's just one of the few places in Europe that offer that sort of lingerie. For me it can often get just as expensive to order from the US because unfortunately it's not just the shipping, I have to pay 25-30% sales tax too when ordering from outside the EU. :( It sucks.

Before shipping got more expensive and before they got this strict on the sales tax (earlier many more packages that were under $100 passed through without tax being added) I used to love ordering from Secrets in Lace and Girdlebound. Thanks for the tip about the bra from SiL, I'll check it out, maybe it's still cheaper, everything considered.

Is the tax added on at the time of check out, or do you have to pay it upon the item's arrival? What about the option of having a US Lounger purchase it for you and ship it as a "gift"?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
exquisitebones said:
why not healthy? forgive my ignorance.

Because nylon doesn't breathe and it doesn't absorb moisture the same way that cotton does. This can contribute to yeast infections.

That said, I'm very prone to those because of my diabetes and have not had any additional problems since I started buying nylon panties. I think the key is just to not wear them every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic