Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallulah

New in Town
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You're absolutely right! I looked further into the site and it has different sizing advice for the different girdles.

Well, I learned this too late. :eek: . I am in the process of returning the item, and having to get it a good bit larger *cough*. And just in time for all the Holiday binging I have been doing! LOL!

mentha

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies,

I'm new here and after reading a great part of this thread, I've decided I definitely need a piece of shaping underwear. I'm not really big, but a bit 'soft on the sides', so to speak. I feel quite lumpy when wearing fitted clothes, so I don't wear them anymore, though I really love them.
So I've looked around and chosen the Rago 1298 step-in. I think that would be a prefect solution for me. Now, for the size. According the the chart (based on centimeters!), I need a size 80: waist=79cm, hips= 107cm (did I really just put my measurements in writing??? yikes!) - I seem to fit perfectly into the chart, as shown here (Dutch link).
So far, so easy? Nope. I've started to workout a bit again here and there, and will definitely be picking up my running in spring, when the weather clears up and the air doesn't hurt my lungs anymore. From previous experience, the running definitely takes off centimeters (experience also shows that stopping will surely put them all back on...), if I really get at it, maybe even inches! So it seems it would be a waste to spend about 65 euros on something that will probably not fit anymore in under a year (yes, I have big dreams for myself ;)). Is it worth buying a size smaller? Will I have any chance of fitting into it now? It's just my tummy and rear end that are squishy, the rest is pretty okay (if I may say so myself)...

Help?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The smaller size might be uncomfortable, but will fit. I have a Rago 6206 that is 2 sizes smaller than my current waist. It's too uncomfortable for dailywear, but for special occasions, when I need to look my best, I can wear it with a long line bra. Without the long line bra, it creates lumps at the waistband. Hope that helps!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Better smaller! I agree with Kamikat, if you're not wearing it daily then having it be tight is not so bad. I also get the lumps, and a waist cincher (or long line) over it is a great thing.
I tried the Rago all in one, but either I bought it far too small accidentally or they fit very small. I didn't like the cups at all. But I love the idea of a one piece lace foundation garment...smooth.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Goldfish said:
If I want to permanently shape the area between my navel and hip bone, your know, where love handles usually are :rolleyes:, what are my options? At the beginning of this thread someone said you can only do this by wearing corsets, on the other hand I have read (somewhere in this thread) that women in the past had a shaped body because they wore shapeware almost 24/7!

Can well-made shapewear like Rago mold that area, too? I think that's the only area where I need some shaping to have a silhouette suitable for the New Look era (let's talk about bras later....). There might be better options to get the most accurate look (yes I read through the whole girdlezone.org site), but I would love to "enter the girdle world" little by little and start with a garter belt or short panty girdle - what would you recommend for starters?
The Rago 72522 garter belt has caught my eye, what do you think?
(no, that's not me!)
AAAAAobkbewAAAAAAM_lhA.jpg

Noone?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:

Shapewear cannot permanently shape your body or reduce inches. For that, I think everyone here would recommend exercise :) But shapewear IS great as an affordable and comfortable alternative for taking off inches (sometimes, and also depending on the garment) and smoothing lines.

The Rago garter belts may help smooth your line a little bit but it won't give you any size reduction. I would recommend a regular panty or open bottomed girdle.

mentha

Familiar Face
Well, that settles it, I'm going for 1 size smaller :) And I'll have a look for a vintage-style bra to go along, just to finish off the look :)

Thanks Ladies!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Victoria's Secret is having their semi-annual sale right now. They are clearing out some stuff that has a retro feel. There are some pieces that resemble full-body long-line shapers with garters. Those have the look though not the muscle. There are also some teddies and chemises with a retro feel.

Not on sale, there are some longer garter belts made to resemble the look of open bottom girdles and matching bras and panties/thongs. (Again more the look, not the quality.) And lastly for you 1920-philes, there is a silver/grey teddy with a rather dropped waist that has that 20s feel (to me anyway).

Happy shopping!

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Joie DeVive said:
Victoria's Secret is having their semi-annual sale right now. They are clearing out some stuff that has a retro feel. There are some pieces that resemble full-body long-line shapers with garters. Those have the look though not the muscle. There are also some teddies and chemises with a retro feel.

Not on sale, there are some longer garter belts made to resemble the look of open bottom girdles and matching bras and panties/thongs. (Again more the look, not the quality.) And lastly for you 1920-philes, there is a silver/grey teddy with a rather dropped waist that has that 20s feel (to me anyway).

Happy shopping!

Do you happen to know if the sale is in stores as well?

mentha

Familiar Face
How exciting!

I just ordered my first shaper and bullet-bra :D I can't wait to get them and try them on! The shaper is a black Rago 1294 step-in and the bra is a WKD Maitresse-bullet bra. I do hope everything fits though, as it's always a bit of a gamble when ordering online. I usually go to the store and try things on.
Now all I need is a load of stockings, but I'll get them next week ;)

mentha

Familiar Face
Well, my bullet bra and step-in shaper have arrived and I love them! The bra is slightly big around my chest, but I can fix that myself :) I also have a teeny bit of room left in the bullet-points, but that's not something I worry about. Yes, I could excange it for a smaller size, but I fear the side part of the cups would be too small then, so i'll do with this. It's not like I'll be wearing it daily ;)
The shaper is amazing! It's a long step-in, so it starts just below my breasts. No more lumpy waist or floppy belly!!! I felt incredibly comfortable and pretty trying it on :) I can actually imagine myself wearing something like this daily... If I had the wardrobe to match that is ;)

Now for the stockings, to complete the foundations :)

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
hmm

how does one kinda conceal the metal garter clasps of your girdle/cincher/corset?
i mean... like when wearing skirts or dresses with garters and stockings, how do you hide or minimize the garters? ive found that they show up like lil buttons or bumps through clothing.
slips? something? just no wearing tight clothing???
i really want to wear seamed Stockings with some of my dresses, but I just cant get the garters to not show so much. i think it looks tacky when they do.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
xitsvivx said:
how does one kinda conceal the metal garter clasps of your girdle/cincher/corset?
i mean... like when wearing skirts or dresses with garters and stockings, how do you hide or minimize the garters? ive found that they show up like lil buttons or bumps through clothing.
slips? something? just no wearing tight clothing???
i really want to wear seamed Stockings with some of my dresses, but I just cant get the garters to not show so much. i think it looks tacky when they do.
My understanding was that garter tab "shadow" was common and not given much thought of (like bra straps today), at least when wiggle skirts were in style. Does your belt have ribbons over the clips? Those can make the clips even more visible- just cut 'em off!

To really minimize the bumps, yeah, avoid the pencil skirts. Slips can help some. If you are set on having the wiggle ;) , you can also try shortening the straps and/or arranging the garter clips so they angle away from the skirt surface. Oh, also bumps under dark colored clothing would probably be less visible...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
xitsvivx said:
[...]

Wear a good, heavy slip. Otherwise, you're out of luck. It doesn't look tacky and is totally authentic.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know where I can find a repro bra in that lovely vintage peach color? WKD had one that I love and they had a major sale posted yesterday. I went to order today and it was gone :-( It was that lovely sheer Harlow bra. That's the exact color I'm looking for, but i don't want a bullet style!

mentha

Familiar Face
Well, here's an embarrassing question for ya: what to do when you're wearing your step-in and you need to go to the ladies room??? Seems like a challenge, or is a step-in one of those things you don't wear undies under? Hope not, for that seems, well... kinda drafty... ;)

I have this one: http://www.dollhousebettie.com/girdles/364-high-waist-zipper-girdle.html
She doesn't seem to be wearing anything under it, but that may as well be cosmetic for the photo shoot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran