Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goat v. Sheep v. Cowhide

DougC

Practically Family
Fellas--I have a dilemna; I am looking at US Wings jackets (the Indy models) and was curious about how each of the diffferent leathers comparae to each other. If this has been discussed, please post a link. If it hasn't, thanks for your help.

Needless to say, I am looking for a jacket that will hold up to everyday wear and (probably) some rain. I probably won't be dragged under a truck or have to fight the bad guys. I do know that my goat skin dress boots are pretty hardy--so are my cow leather boots. But, I've never had lamb skin.

Anyway--thanks...

For overall great advice from the guys who live this, try indygear.com. You have to sign up and get approved, but that's the joint for all things Indy.
All of the hides have +s and -s. It's not as simple as it might seem. Well, maybe it is, but... lol

D

Deleted member 16736

Goat skin will outlast them all and look best after decades of hard use.

DougC

Practically Family
I'm already on COW--but, really wanted to hear from this forum. I think the responses would be interesting. At COW its seems to be more about drape, overall look and screen accuracy--with some real life tossed in for good measure. I've read alot over there and can't come to a conclusion. Here, it seems the knowledge base on leather could be broader.

OK, in that case, Goat is the toughest for sure. They're about "the look". If you're talking purely how the hides hold up, then it's likely goat. But all of them will outlast you (us). lol

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
For long term wear, I'd also advocate goat; for drape I'd go for capeskin (although my capeskin A-1 is worn daily in all weathers and is fine).

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I will wear anything, sheep, goat, horse,cow, in any condition; rain or shine.

wear and tear, weather and leather.

Give me sheepskin though personally, Im all about it.

play rock paper scissors between Cow, Goat and Sheepskin, I would be happier with all three selections personally. The More, the merrier!

Peacoat

Bartender
True, the goat will last forever and look new much longer, but the cow will break in well and develop a nice patina over the years. Goat stays about the same. I would stay away from sheep and lamb for hard wearing applications.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
As much as I love the look and feel of horsehide, I'm gonna have to agree with the guys above, goat is the best for durability. A2s from WW2 that are in the best shape tend to be goatskin. Sorry HH, don't take it personal, I still love ya.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
The Cockpit has a near clone of the Indy jacket called the Vintage Roughneck Oil-Driller made of washed goatskin. It is an awesome jacket! Lots of grain and patina and does not look like a mass-produced jacket at all. Really looks and feels like a vintage piece of leather but it's brand new. And seen from the front it's a near match for the Indy jacket (has a sewn-in half belt style back so that's a bit different from the Indy jacket). Just something to consider...

D

Deleted member 16736

How warm is a goatskin jacket vs. horsehide? My HH A-2 kept me warm below freezing. How low can goat go?

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
How warm is a goatskin jacket vs. horsehide? My HH A-2 kept me warm below freezing. How low can goat go?

Watch out on the net a lot of peoples will peddle the idea that HH is warmer and more apropriate for winter witch is not true. I own a HH jacket and it is not warmer at all compared to my goat jacket. Lining is everything, as far as cold weater leather jacket I would stick to a softer and more pliable Hide as weater will make it stiffen a bit. My HH gets a notch stiffer and is not as fun to wear becose it restrict movement a bit to mutch.

''winter weight'' is a myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael