Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatee anyone?

Feraud

Bartender
qwerty said:
Goatees are for the people who cannot grow a full beard.
Before I grow a full beard I was thinking about the goatee. But soon after my beard was here to stay I realized how stupid goatees look. Eather grow a mustache or grow a beard. But forget about goatee.
Hold on there friend! I am the proud wearer of a goatee and I can certainly grow a full beard. In fact, I am quite fond of the "Stonewall Jackson" style beard. One must balance personal style with their environment (and wife;) ). How would I look walking down the streets of Manhattan with a full beard and business attire? Probably a bit out of place..

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I've worn with and without - but have had a moustache since college.

However, the last time I thought about growing a goatee, it was a whole different color than the last time I wore one! I decided it was time to let that idea go. I have enough grey showing without adding more.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This was the only celebrity that I could think of that sported a goatee..
SecConneryFoto.gif

It has to be trimmed up...no straggly hairs, otherwise it looks awful

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
This was the only celebrity that I could think of that sported a goatee..
SecConneryFoto.gif

Actually, that's a chose-shaven Van Dyke: a goatee which connects to a mustache. Sean Connery prefers his "Hollywoodian" version without sideburns.
Van Dyke beards were very popular with 17th century painters and cavaliers.

Here's a chart to keep it all straight:

facialhair.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Marc's right about the connection part. I think that an actual Goatee is rather difficult to wear well. Some can,some can't. As for it being "Golden Era" I suppose that depends on your geographical location. There certainly were those men in the U.S. who sported this type of facial hair in the 50s and 60s, decades that are (in my opinion,anyway) part of the "Golden Era". If a gentleman wears a goatee it will be well groomed and neat. Unfortunately most of the men that seem to sport them around these parts let them grow ragged and unkempt...

As for myself, my facial hair is rather anaemic. The best I can do is a pencil thin bit of lower lip shrubbery. The shrubbs have been removed at this time...:) (clean shaven smilley)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Mysterygal, you're very kind!

And yes, it was in fact a Van Dyke that I wore more than once during my younger years.

And if I had Connery's looks and pipes, my wife would probably vote for me to grow any darn facial hair I liked. I'm an old broadcaster, but even with an RCA 77DX mike and great mike technique, I can't get the tones he generates.

And the looks? Well, she married me, so I must not be too bad.:D

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Hey now Marc! Don't be using my face for your examples. I think you should be a big boy and use your own face.....speaking of which....you have been pretty shy in showing it.

As for goatees only being for guys who can't grow a bread.....and beards looking better:

My_Bullocks4.jpg

BTW: Does it surprise anyone that the French have the most outragous of the styles?:p

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Well this conversation's turned interesting.

Here's a fun example of facial hair gone mad, a promo shot from my radio days:

photo_prof_glow.gif

And anyone who thinks this is a sign that a man can't shave properly should try keeping one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred