Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going sockless in the summer

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try not to be judgemental, but going without socks is - in my opinion - one of the greatest style crimes. There are of course exceptions: wearing sandals (must have a removable insole to prevent rotting of leather); any leisure activities involving water. But the shoes without socks look is an absolute no-no....

Hi

The crime against fashion is all in the eye of the beholder. I attended University of Illinois from 1979 to 1983. No good Frat boy wore socks unless the snow was at least a foot deep. Topsiders with no socks was the rule otherwise. I didn't pick up my first pair until moving to Alabama (1985) where it IS a little warmer. I still own them, and wear them shooting at the indoor range so I don't get powder and lead on any decent shoes.

Later

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
The nays have it

I can see the overwhelming response from you guys is not to go sockless at all! I'm looking into getting some of these guys, and that'll probably help--they look thick enough.

When I went hiking for a few days at a time, I used to coat my feet in Vaseline before I put my socks on. Felt icky at first, soon forgotten about. Didn't blister once. I was the only one on the last expedition that didn't blister, actually. Nana Marlowe, God rst her soul, saw it on a TV documentary about the Paras once, I gave it a try and it worked..... course, if you're not wearing socks, this could result in an icky shoe....

Now this is an interesting idea...I'm expecting to go hiking a fair bit this summer. Did it totally wreck your socks? (Obviously I wouldn't be wearing topsiders and loafer socks hiking--asking about normal socks, of course)

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Peter Huber driving mocs that I wear sockless when wearing shorts or just loafing around the house. Other than that, I wear socks. What drives me crazy is this trend for men to go sockless while wearing dress shoes. I do not know where or when it started, but to see a man in a suit wearing dress shoes sans socks looks horrible. I don't care how much one pays for the shoes or how soft the leather is, sockless feet still sweat and that (along with the smell) is absorbed in the lining. I have seen salesmen in upscale men's stores sport this look and I just shake my head in disbelief.

mdove

Familiar Face
Captain Lex, If you are worried about blisters and blistering check out one of the military aimed online catalogs, i.e. Brigade Quartermaster. They should have blister resistant socks...they do work. Get a pair of them and some polypro socks. Use the polypros as liners and then the blister resistant socks. Your feet will thank you. If you do not take care of your feet they will not take care of you and your hikes....well they might be either a lot shorter or a lot more painful than you want. How do I know.....experience told me so.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
When you talk about sock-less, THESE are the first guys that come to mind!

Miami-Vice-miami-vice-21928931-1000-1100.jpg

Imagine if you had to chase someone and you got a rock in your slipper? OUCH!

Fifty150

One Too Many
If I had to chase someone, it sure wouldn't be in a pair of loafers. I think real cops have the common sense to wear shoes that they can run in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy