Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to an Irish Bar

djhatman

One of the Regulars
In celebration of the end of having to get memberships at bar in Utah I am going to an Irish bar I have been wanting to go to for a while. What are some good Irish drinks to try?

djhatman

One of the Regulars
ladybrettashley said:
Well, when i was in Belfast, everyone drank Bud, because it was new and trendy!! lol:eusa_doh:lol

Thanks for the idea but I have had my Bud for the year.

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
When I was in Dublin it was nothing but Guiness and straight Whiskey....but I second the vote for Irish Car Bombs....they're yummy, but you want to get them down quick. One too many St. Patty's day memories (and lack thereof) have come from car bombs....

Cheers,
Adam C.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nearly every bar in Boston is an Irish bar and if not, I bet there's some Irish in them. :)

Guinness is one of my favorite beers. Jameson over ice is nice as well. Jameson is very good for a very inexpensive whiskey.

I'm sure there are much more creative suggestions, but give me the basics.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"Jameson" is the thing.
Another good republican whisky is "Paddy".
Then there is the - allready mentioned - protestant Old Bushmill - also nice.

And draught Guinness. If you are there for a longer time - you might want to switch to something less rich - go for Killkenney then. (Isn´t it the same as Smitwicks? - or is that only a rumour:eusa_doh: )

Edward

Bartender
Uhm..... Bushmills, "Protestant"?? I've never heard it delineated one way or the otherf before..... lol

Bushmills is indeed an excellent whiskey, though a notch up, if you can find it, is their Black Bush version. Even better, the Sixteen Year Malt, though it's hard to find that one anywhere (I think there was a time when you could only buy itg in the distillery itself).

Jamesons I also enjoy - nice and smoothe, mixes particularly well with ginger, over ice.

Can't help much on the beers, as I can't stand the stuff, but most of the obvious ones have been mentioned. A big thing back in Norn Irn is still Harp Lager, if you fancy that beery taste in something that isn't as heavy as the Guinness. As for Budweiser..... meh, that's strictly for the spides. Possibly the only beer I can stomach myself, but that's only because (as the Bruces would have it), it's a little like making love in a canoe..... :p

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Oh, not an Irish car bomb! I'll never forget the reaction of the bartender in Limerick when my buddy (wanting the full Irish experience, as he was only in town for a weekend) asked for one of those. Well, first he had to explain what it was. And then after a moment of stunned silence - was it disgust, or awe at what Americans will do with their alcohol? - he said "Ah! That'd be a waste of a good Guinness!" And proceeded to serve us just that (and, i hate to be so snobbish, but it really is better in Ireland). It was priceless.

And, personally, i am quite a fan of Harp.

As for a whiskey, i'm not too keen on Jameson, but i wholeheartedly second High Pockets on Black Bush; what a drink!

Eyemo

Practically Family
Drink the Guiness...It's good fer ya!!:eusa_clap :)

(and fantastic from an Irish pump)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ladybrettashley said:
Well, when i was in Belfast, everyone drank Bud, because it was new and trendy!! lol:eusa_doh:lol
You'll find a lot of Bud consumed in Irish-American watering holes, too, the plain workingclass ones - to the point that some have neon signs like this:
budweisershamrockneon.jpg

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the ideas. I went with the Car Bomb. It was o.k. but I have never been a big fan of chugging. After that I just keep the my Godfather for the night.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Now if you be lookin' for a proper Irish drink why not a little Irish moonshine?
Poitin straight up is quite good.
Or you can try it on the rocks with a small dash of Stone's Ginger Wine.

Akubra

Familiar Face
Here is another vote for Guiness for a beer, Jameson is good but Bushmills is the best Irish Whiskey IMHO.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
"Jameson" is the thing.
Another good republican whisky is "Paddy".
Then there is the - allready mentioned - protestant Old Bushmill - also nice.

Bushmills is considered by some as Protestant and Jameson's Catholic.
As far as I know this is based on nothing more than the location of the distilleries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo