Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to an Irish Bar

Boodles

A-List Customer
Interesting Mr Cairo, thanks

MisterCairo said:
I pronounce it "Smith - icks". No one ever told me that specifically, but generally, to my understanding, in Britain and Ireland the 'w' in certain words or names is either VERY softly pronounced, or, to most ears, not pronounced at all.

Other uses do see the w pronounced, like the Charles Dickens novel the Pickwick Papers (pick - wick).

My favourite pronunciation debate centres on "Worcestershire Sauce". Always a fun discussion!

So, it is then quite true that some portion of the population do pronounce Smithwicks as Smith-icks. I'm hoping to hear from some other people in that part of the world before concluding that I also ought to say Smith-icks. I'm not opposed to doing so I'd just like to first be sure that it is not just trendy USA pseudo Irish.

Thanks for bringing up the Worcestershire issue. I cannot even spell the word let alone pronounce it. In my part of the world I can get away with avoiding the word altogether by saying Lea & Perrins (Think Justin Wilson). It's a bit like my granparents using the word Frigidare (probably mispelled that) rather than saying refrigerator. In the old days the word Kelvinator was also used in place of refrigerator. Both were brand names.

jimbothewan

New in Town
Was at university in Belfast, as the nights draw in and the temperature drops you might consider a " Hot Whisky". Whisky, hot water, sugar, slice of lemon studded with cloves. Works pretty well for toothache as well.

jwalls

Vendor
jimbothewan said:
Was at university in Belfast, as the nights draw in and the temperature drops you might consider a " Hot Whisky". Whisky, hot water, sugar, slice of lemon studded with cloves. Works pretty well for toothache as well.
Well said. A Jamison's hot toddy will cure most anything.

matei

One Too Many
Good call on Redbreast, it is very smooth and quite drinkable. It is my whiskey of choice!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, again going for the Frankenstein effect and raising a dead thread.

There is a lot of discussion about ordering a Black and Tan in Ireland. Personally, I wouldn't do it. I've never left the USA, so I haven't had to think about this YET. I love Guinness, but a Guinness layered over hard cider is called a snakebite and they're really good. Is that an Irish drink, or the product of American Bartenders with an imagination on a slow night?

The whole thought of an Irish Car Bomb strikes me as Blasphemy, REALLY, chugging GUINNESS??? What is the world coming too? :eusa_doh:

Later

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
What about Murphy's?

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Murphy's yet! For those not familiar, it's similar to Guinness but doesn't leave you feeling like you just drank a triple cheese burger & fries in milkshake form. It's quite good, I for one much prefer Murphy's to Guinness. Another "floater" worth trying, that's similar to a Black & Tan, is a Snakebite. Traditionally they're made from lager & cider, but I've had it served with cider poured over Guinness too and it's wonderful that way!

As for the Bushmill's controversy, I believe it stems from a labor dispute a number of years ago. There was in fact a boycott of the company due to allegations of perceived discrimination against members of a certain denomination.

When it comes to Irish whiskeys there are tons of really great brands. People should not be afraid to explore past the two well know brands. I'm really a fan of Powers and Michael Collins.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe said:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Murphy's yet! For those not familiar, it's similar to Guinness but doesn't leave you feeling like you just drank a triple cheese burger & fries in milkshake form. It's quite good, I for one much prefer Murphy's to Guinness. Another "floater" worth trying, that's similar to a Black & Tan, is a Snakebite. Traditionally they're made from lager & cider, but I've had it served with cider poured over Guinness too and it's wonderful that way!

As for the Bushmill's controversy, I believe it stems from a labor dispute a number of years ago. There was in fact a boycott of the company due to allegations of perceived discrimination against members of a certain denomination.

When it comes to Irish whiskeys there are tons of really great brands. People should not be afraid to explore past the two well know brands. I'm really a fan of Powers and Michael Collins.

I like Murphy's too and it used to be found Down Under. Not any more that I know. A Cork beer from memory. I like that 'red' beer from (is it Bolts ?) also from Cork.

Zaxxon

New in Town
:arated: for the Guinness, no question. For my wife a Strongbow.
And ask for whiskey, have you ever tried Tyrconnell from the Cooley Distillery?
A very good single malt, comes close to Islay Malts.

Zaxxon

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
^^ Zaxxon, if you're into the Islay Scotch whiskys (i.e. you like peat) you may consider Connemara, which is a peated Irish whiskey also produced by the Cooley Distillery in County Louth.

I have bottles of the standard and 12 yr offering of Connemara and while not as peaty as say a Laphroaig, it's certainly got a tinge of peat. IMO the 12yr varietal ($90/bottle) does not take as much off the bite of the standard Connemara ($40/bottle) so the extra $50/bottle is probably not worth it.

Personally I find myself a fan of the Middleton blends. I could drink Powers Gold Label all night, although Jameson 12yr and Redbreast 12yr are my current favorites (albeit at 2x the price). If I ever met Barry Walsh in person I'd shake his hand and ask him for his autograph. :D

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
Good heavens.... Haven't been in in years (literally) then I find a thread about Irish drinking. Most excellent.

Smith-icks it is.

Black & Tan - Order one if you want, anywhere on the island. You'll raise eyebrows, but only because it's not at all popular. The Auxiliary Constabulary were named after the drink, not vice versa so there are no particular social or political ramifications.

Irish Car Bomb - You might ruffle feathers a bit asking for one of these. Particularly in the North.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
Magners is what Bulmers is called outside of Ireland - same deliciousness! :)

...and to further muddy the waters, I've seen both on sale over here!

Boodles said:
Recently we were called on our pronunciation of the brand name Smithwicks. This happened in one of the pseudo Irish bars in town, a nice place but just a few to many pompous barkeeps. The barkeep is saying we should pronounce Smithwicks as Smith icks, rather than Smith wicks. No W. On my last trip to Ireland no one called me on the pronunciation. Were the real Irish just being nice?

Yes, the 'W' is silent. Likely a mix of politeness, and later on some good-natured sniggering about mispronunciation - see also Lie Sess Ter Square and Edin Bore Oh... ;)

jimbothewan said:

Best thing for a nasty cold too.... A variation is to replace the sugar with a spoonful of honey.

1961MJS said:
I love Guinness, but a Guinness layered over hard cider is called a snakebite and they're really good. Is that an Irish drink, or the product of American Bartenders with an imagination on a slow night?

I was under the impression that lager and cider, known as snakebite, is an English thing in origin.... adding Guinnesss in place of lager is a logical Norn Irn variation thereon. I've never known anyone to do that in the Old Country (Guinness drinkers are a purist bunch, in my experience!), but it's possible, I suppose. [huh]

Zaxxon said:
:arated: for the Guinness, no question. For my wife a Strongbow.

Strongbow is commonly consumed in Ireland, at least the North, but it's English (and named, of course, after the Anglo-Norman Lord who married into Irish royalty - King Dermott's daughter, he married, with Dermott seeking to use the alliance so created to increase his sphere of political and military influence. This was the root of English rule in Ireland - back about, if memory serves, 1170.

Dragon Soldier said:
Black & Tan - Order one if you want, anywhere on the island. You'll raise eyebrows, but only because it's not at all popular. The Auxiliary Constabulary were named after the drink, not vice versa so there are no particular social or political ramifications.

Never heard that one before.... Outside of a Republican area, though, nowadays in the North I doubt there are many bartenders who'd be that aware of the Tans, by that name anyhow? Not sure, I've not been regularly on the ground for a decade now.

Irish Car Bomb - You might ruffle feathers a bit asking for one of these. Particularly in the North.

Oh, aye.... there was enough of a kerfuffle when they depicted one (several decades too early) in the Michael Collins film in the 90s.... Course, it's the sort of thing we'd no doubt find hilarious if we say / offer it ourselves, but if an outsider comes in making gags about Norn Irn, they'll soon be spittin' teeth... lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
I pronounce it "Smith - icks". No one ever told me that specifically, but generally, to my understanding, in Britain and Ireland the 'w' in certain words or names is either VERY softly pronounced, or, to most ears, not pronounced at all.

Other uses do see the w pronounced, like the Charles Dickens novel the Pickwick Papers (pick - wick).

My favourite pronunciation debate centres on "Worcestershire Sauce". Always a fun discussion!

Most Germans just can't properly pronunce Smithwicks for some reason, which is why it is marketed as Kilkenny here... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo