Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to an Irish Bar

Akubra

Familiar Face
Bushmills is distilled in one of the oldest stills in the country in Northern Antrim, it is said to be a very Prodistant/Loyalist area. Jameson is made in Dublin which is predominantly Catholic/Nationalist, although Ireland is now a rather cosmopolitan country with everything from Nigerians to Chinese living there. Back when I was a little lad over in Dublin anything other than a pale faced native would just about stop traffic on Grafton street.

Bartender edit - Sorry, comments like this are bound to get people with strong feelings on both sides of the issue riled up, so I've excised it. Let's keep on the task of drinking, not fighting!

RANT OVER... now go enjoy some Bushmills ...or Jameson

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
Bushmills is considered by some as Protestant and Jameson's Catholic.
As far as I know this is based on nothing more than the location of the distilleries.

Nothing more than location.:)
(Did not intend to start a religious war. Not again!)

Akubra

Familiar Face
It is actually Bulmers.

Good stuff but it can produce a hangover the size of Arizona!!:(

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Bartender edit - Same thing here, Miss Golightly. Feel free to carry this conversation on with Private Messages, but in order to keep peace in my bar, I'm stepping in before any fights start. And believe, me they've started for a lot less than this!

Brad

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm an alcoholic agnostic myself. (Interpret that however you like; you'll probably be right. ;))
But one good thing about Irish bars in the greater NYC area is that they're very often tended by young Irish immigrants. A friendlier, snappier and cleaner-cut bunch of servicepeople you'll seldom find. But strictly blue collar - mixological arcana doesn't interest them.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly said:
Bartender edit - Same thing here, Miss Golightly. Feel free to carry this conversation on with Private Messages, but in order to keep peace in my bar, I'm stepping in before any fights start. And believe, me they've started for a lot less than this!

Brad

Fair enough Brad - don't worry - I'm all on for keeping the peace! :)

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I'll second/third/forth the Guiness. It is actually lower in Alcohol than Harp, or Smithwick's. I've never found it to be heavy. But I love my beer.

I enjoy the occasional black and tan. I prefer Jameson to Bushmill's - on taste alone-- neat. In fact I just bought a fifth of the 12yr Jameson. The most important thing in an Irish bar is to have a great time, enjoy your friends and the other guests. And when you get home and go to bed hopfully you will remember, "that the craic was great!"

CH

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll fifth and sixth Guinness -- it's pretty much the only alcoholic drink I can stand, but I can drink a lot of it. Besides, It's Good For You.

And yes, it does have to be draught. The bottled stuff is a different brew entirely, and no matter how many little nitrogen doohickeys they float in it, it's not the same.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
I'll fifth and sixth Guinness -- it's pretty much the only alcoholic drink I can stand, but I can drink a lot of it. Besides, It's Good For You.

And yes, it does have to be draught. The bottled stuff is a different brew entirely, and no matter how many little nitrogen doohickeys they float in it, it's not the same.

The first time I tried a nicely frosty bottle of Guinness at home, I thought "What in the hell is that clanking around in the bottle?!?!?!?" after I'd poured it, per instructions, into a well-chilled, proper sized glass. And they don't really clank around in full bottles, and good luck seeing anything inside a dark brown bottle. So off to the computer to do some research. "AH, it's supposed to be there...no multi-million dollar lawsuit for some piece of equipment or Lord knows what in my beer bottle..." ;)

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I'm an alcoholic agnostic myself. (Interpret that however you like; you'll probably be right. ;))

Ha!! I'll second that.

And, how could i have forgotten a Bailey's Coffee! An excellent drink; nice and warm and a bit softer than a Guinness or whiskey. Plus, every time i have one i am reminded of "the Maggs McCanns," whom i met one early afternoon in a pub in Dingle. They were sisters-in-law, who had the exact same name due to the one's marriage to the other's brother. Some of the nicest folks i ever met, in probably the nicest town i've ever been. And the Bailey's coffee, at their suggestion, was excellent, too =)

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Akubra said:
It is actually Bulmers.

Good stuff but it can produce a hangover the size of Arizona!!:(

Unless I am mistaken, Bulmer's is the same thing as Manger's here in the States. My better half loves it and it is fairly easy to find, at least in the Bay Area, though not cheap. Very good stuff...

JerseyMutt

New in Town
Guinness, Smithwicks, Harp for beer.

Jamesons (I generally prefer at least 12 year old) and Bushmills for whisky.

And I'll echo the sentiment of those that have already mentioned it. A pint 'o Guinness poured in Ireland is hands down better than poured anywhere else.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Caleb Moore said:
Unless I am mistaken, Bulmer's is the same thing as Manger's here in the States. My better half loves it and it is fairly easy to find, at least in the Bay Area, though not cheap. Very good stuff...

Magners is what Bulmers is called outside of Ireland - same deliciousness! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo