Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Adventurers, Explorers and Heroes...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Adventurers, Archeologists, Explorers... anyone who was 'out there' doing something exciting in the far away lands long from home- and what they were doing of course.

Egypt, Borneo, Africa, Antarctica....

Name some of the Golden Era's famous and exciting travelling, adventuring individuals please!
Images and/or references are welcome...

B
T

Nick Charles

Practically Family
How bout Cooper

Merian C Cooper, aviator, traveler, explorer, movie maker

Cooper.jpg

1400062764.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
My favorites

Here's a few that should make this list!

Freya Stark: explorer of the Arabian Peninsula, notable not only for her outstanding descriptions, but for her amazingly astute predictions of the locations of cities along ancient trade routes, which have since been ground-truthed right where she said they'd be.

Hiram Bingham: archaeologist and discoverer of Machu Picchu

Roy Chapman Andrews: paleontologist, and all around cool role-model

Wiley Post: pilot and adventurer known particularly for his 1931 around the world flight

Henry Breasted: archaeologist and founder of the Oriental Institute in Chicago (1922)

Ralph Bagnold, or just about any member of the Zurzura Club

OK, these two are a bit early for Golden Age adventurers, but they certainly meet the spirit!

Richard Burton: Adventurer, linguist, scholar, swordsman, rogue, genius, and discoverer of the source of the Nile

Lt. Colonel John H. Patterson: engineer and lion hunter

Ken

A-List Customer

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Dr. Livingstone, I presume...

David Livingstone (1813-1873) was a Scottish missionary, doctor and explorer who helped open the heart of Africa to missions. His travels covered one-third of the continent, from the Cape to near the Equator, and from the Atlantic to the Indian Ocean.

Not Golden Era, but a helluva good guy...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ernest Hemingway - I would be remisss if I didn't mention him. Mr. Hemingway immersed himself in African, Cuban, French, and Spanish cultures. He was a master hunter, fisherman, and outdoorsman. -And he wrote a few stories on the side.

Ernest Shackleton - Perhaps a bit early, but he was a fearless explorer who put the well-being of his men in front of his own lust for fame and success, yet found both by doing precisely that.

Charles Lindberg - Lucky Lindy, what more can one say???

I'd say Howard Hughes again, but you're all probably sick of me talking about him.

Philip Percival - The Great White Hunter. No man knew Africa more intimately, nor loved it as dearly.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Roald Amundsen, Arctic explorer, seems to fit the bill.
Not too early?

Bror Blixen, Great White Hunter, inspiration to Mr. Hemingway.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Just one off topic here.

I did love how the whole Queen Mary meet looked like a 1930's conference for the National Geographic Society... it was the mish mash of all the adventure wear.

IMG_1581-vi.jpg

Matt, I think that's the best compliment I've gotten in a long time! Next year I'm definately wearing my pith helmet!

Here's an adventure couple I can't believe I forgot to include!
Osa and Martin Johnson: film makers, adventurers, and pilots.

I happened to be talking to Hemingway Jones, and he mentioned the seaplane featured in The Aviator, which was a Sikorsky S.38 or S.39. I referenced Osa' Ark, which was Osa's S.38 painted in zebra stripes, one of my all time favorite planes, not to mention the Johnson's themselves. To my mind, the Johnson's are the epitome of Golden Age adventure.

Explorer

New in Town
There are probably hundreds of explorers, adventurers, etc. that were active in the first half of the 20th century. Some of my favorites are:
- Theodore Roosevelt, hunter, explorer, soldier, president.
- Sven Hedin, explorer
- Frank Buck, adventurer, procurer of wild animals
- Jimmy Angel, pilot and discoverer of Angel Falls.
- Talbot Mundy, adventurer and writer.
- Gordon McCreagh, explorer and writer.
- Richard Halliburton, adventurer and writer.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sidney Reilly (Sigmund Rosenblum)-Spy, Adventurer, Hero

IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/mycorftjw/reilly.jpg[/IMG]-The real one

neill.jpg
-Sam O'Neil as him

Ian Fleming(is this too late in the century)-Spy, Author, Adventurer, Journalist

ifleming.jpg

And one of my favorites: Billy Fiske-RAF Pilot, Olimpic Athlete, Land Deveoper, Patriot, Fighter of Anti-semitism, banker, speed demon

BillyFiske.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner