Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Adventurers, Explorers and Heroes...

Mojito

One Too Many
I always thought Captain L E G Oates had tremendous panache, even if he wasn't the most elegantly attired of men (his battered old Aquascutum was remembered long after he walked off into the white wastes):

2-24.jpg

32b2c2d0.jpg

Dollman.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
George Mallory certainly had style - as did Andrew "Sandy" Irvine, his companion on that last tragic attempt.

Hope they find Sandy too, some day:

js-Profile%20of%20Sandy-2.gif

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Definitely Percy Fawcett - British explorer who explored the Amazon in search of lost cities

PercyFawcett.jpg

Sir Ranulph Fiennes, former SAS soldier, mercenary and explorer

ran-fiennes2.jpg

Thor Heyerdahl

thorjove.jpg

and my mother, who lived in Africa for a time and used to do things such as hippo hunting up the Limpopo (unfortunately no photos as they are all in transit with the rest of my belongings).

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I'd like to contribute Max Mallowan and Leonard Woolley, British archaeologists who worked on the excavation of Ur in the Middle East. Mallowan was married to author Agatha Christie; she later wrote about their experiences at the dig sites in "Come, Tell Me How You Live" (1946), and also fictionalized them for "Murder in Mesopotamia" (1936).

47b7db26b3127cce8383c3e8592400000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Mallowan, Woolley and Christie, c. 1931.

Rooster

Practically Family
Decobelle said:
I'd like to contribute Max Mallowan and Leonard Woolley, British archaeologists who worked on the excavation of Ur in the Middle East. Mallowan was married to author Agatha Christie; she later wrote about their experiences at the dig sites in "Come, Tell Me How You Live" (1946), and also fictionalized them for "Murder in Mesopotamia" (1936).

47b7db26b3127cce8383c3e8592400000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Mallowan, Woolley and Christie, c. 1931.
COOL! Shorts and full hose with a sport jacket.... I might have to try that this summer!

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Geoffrey Winthrop Young (1876-1958): mountaineer, poet, George Mallory's mentor, and president of the Alpine Club from 1941-1944. Lost his leg while serving as an officer with the Friends Ambulance Unit during WW1. After the war he continued climbing with an artifical leg, retiring from the mountaineering game at age 59. This gentleman is an excellent example of those couragous adventurers that inspire me so.

529001007_abd70abad8.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

Eddie Rickenbacker - WWI flying ace with the 94th Aero Squadron, the Hat-In-The-Ring Squadron, and medal of honor recipient in 1931.
Raced at Indianapolis Speedway, Managed Indianaplis Speedway, Rickenbacker Automotive design (Rickenbacker cars were the first to have four-wheel brakes.)
Combined Eastern Air Transport and Florida Airways to form Eastern Airlines.

Lee

“Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared.” – Eddie Rickenbacker

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Here's Thorkild Jacobsen, Danish Archaeologist (1904-1993) looking dapper in the desert-

ThorkildJacobsen31_32.jpg

B
T

To this dashing Danish desert denizen I would like to add Jaconsen's compatriot and contemporary Knud Holmboe, whose singularly unsentimental reporting of his motor journey from Morocco to Egypt form the basis of his 1931 journal 'Desert Encounter: an Adventurous Journey through Italian Africa' (English edition George Harrap 1936). The book was immediately banned in Italy and prefigured the motorised desert exploration of Bagnold and others, but in the context of a deeply philosophical and religious world view. A great man who met a sad end - a wrong which was to be righted later. See http://www.knud-holmboe.com/

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav