Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era sports, Fencing.

Feraud

Bartender
Does anyone practice a particular 'Golden Era' type of sport? I took a couple of years of fencing in the 'Classical' style. Fencing was taught through the ages as a means of settling disputes between gentlemen. This style promotes efficiency of form and to "touch without being touched". Fencing matches used to draw the crowds we see today for baseball & football. It is different from modern fencing in it does without the lights, buzzes and fancy tae-bo-ish footwork. The point was not to score points but to make the hit. My favorite weapon is the sabre. Beginners generally start on the foil and can work towards sabre or epee.

I miss the classes. The people were exactly the type of folks who would fit perfectly around here. Our Maestro was a great guy whose fencing pedigree dates back to the late 19th Century. His wife was the first woman in history to be awarded the title of 'Maestro'.

I wrote this because of an interesting ad I came across..

Don't you love advertising?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I used to be very much into fencing, doing the Junior Olympics and such when I was a kid. I really want to get back into it but don't have the time at the moment. My favorite weapon is probably the foil, although I also like epee. I never really liked sabre as much, foil and epee just fit my style and general strategies better.

BrooklynJack

New in Town
Been known to stab around with a foil myself, but without much - or any - skill. Ask Messr. V. Berkov - lousy Russkie impaled my own and poor self on occasion.

But I figure that where I've got the edge on our comrade friend is in tennis and badminton. Nothing quite so Golden Age as getting gussied up in tennis duds, grabbing your racket, and heading out to the courts with some lemonade for some mixed doubles action.

swankysister

New in Town
I have tried to do beginners foil course. Twice. I found the strategy/game plan and quick assessment skills needed were only partially worse than my complete lack of fitness. I do like to watch though. :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Mycroft said:
Do you know the best way to start and what to get etc. ?
I suggest you find a good teacher/salle and take it from there. The theory, training and minor adjustments that a teacher can give you is not always evident in a book. Having taken classes I believe working with other students in a class environment is essential.

Mycroft, I do not know what part of Florida you live in. You should do a Yahoo search for fencing in your area.

The following http://www.classicalfencing.org link is one I know. I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Moser some time ago when he was in New York and I was taking Classical Fencing classes. He is a gentleman and a professional.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I suggest you find a good teacher/salle and take it from there. The theory, training and minor adjustments that a teacher can give you is not always evident in a book. Having taken classes I believe working with other students in a class environment is essential.

Mycroft, I do not know what part of Florida you live in. You should do a Yahoo search for fencing in your area.

The following http://www.classicalfencing.org link is one I know. I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Moser some time ago when he was in New York and I was taking Classical Fencing classes. He is a gentleman and a professional.

Lovly, my friend, I am so excited. :cheers1:

David V

A-List Customer
Well I don't practice Classical fencing. I did for a short time. I am now studying Giganti. My wife is working on Fabris. Both are late 16th century Masters. Not exactly 'Golden Era' as thought of on this board! ;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One of the finer movies for fencing... Sunshine starring Ralph Feinnes.
fiennes_l.jpg

I love the sport.. I know foil and saber and like to start in fourth position... I need to practice lunging a bit more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
I used to be very much into fencing, doing the Junior Olympics and such when I was a kid.

And I was a sabre (saber) man. One of the highlights of my adolescence was working as a volunteer at the fencing venue (in Long Beach) of the 1984 Summer Olympics. Great West German fencers. Bad Australian fencers -- but man, did they party!

If memory serves, the eastern bloc, along with the Soviet Union, did not attend. That was a blow: I would have loved to see the Hungarian and Polish teams in action. China was there, though; the team had its own political commissar, who was a tough bargainer when it came to Olympic pin trading.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Biggest problem with the USSR not showing at the 1984 Olympics was McDonald's having to honor all those rub off coupons they gave out. Every gold medal the US got earned you a Big Mac. Had the soviet been in the mix I would have had alot of small Cokes.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My fencing master was Delmar Calvert. Born in French Morocco, he fenced in Poland and joined the Polish Lancers in 1939. You can imagine what happened: the Germans invaded with tanks, and Monsieur Calvert's cavalry had to charge them on horseback with lances. Somehow, he escaped and made his way back to North Africa, where he joined the Foreign Legion. An exceptional life.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
:cry: :kick:

Sorry, but I had to kick you for that. Don't ever suggest to fellow fencers (let alone your fencing master/coach!) that the sport is "swashbuckling." You'll get your head chewed off by them in no time.

I meant it as a joke. But, I will keep it in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace