Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Styled Clocks

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Ok I had to post this to see if anyone else shared an interest in Vintage Golden Era Styled Clocks.... or actual vintages if you are lucky enough to have one or more...

To get us started here is a pic of one of my favorites... The Kit Kat....

KitKatClock.jpg

Machine Ager

Last edited:

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
My father was stationed at Wiesbaden in the late '60's. I was fortunate to have lived there for two years. In his spare time he collected and refurbished antique wall and mantle clocks. We would go on road trips and stop at the small antique shops and farm houses in the country searching for these clocks.

At one time we had 16 pendulum wall clocks all running at the same time in our off base quarters. Talk about a racket on the hour. Some could be silenced others had no such control.

This clock was a gift to my Uncle who has since passed away and I inherited it. It dates from around 1920 and is missing the finials in the top. The clock was bought in this condition with the missing finials so I don't know what they were supposed to look like. The clock keeps very good time, in fact, right now it is spot-on and hasn't been touched in three weeks. It runs for about 10 days between windings and it chimes on the hour and half hour.

MyClock001.jpg

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Ok I had to post this to see if anyone else shared an interest in Vintage Golden Era Styled Clocks.... or actual vintages if you are lucky enough to have one or more...

To get us started here is a pic of one of my favorites... The Kit Kat....

KitKatClock.jpg

Machine Ager

My wife's grandmother had one of these in her kitchen. Wish I knew where it went after she passed.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My father was stationed at Wiesbaden in the late '60's. I was fortunate to have lived there for two years. In his spare time he collected and refurbished antique wall and mantle clocks. We would go on road trips and stop at the small antique shops and farm houses in the country searching for these clocks.

At one time we had 16 pendulum wall clocks all running at the same time in our off base quarters. Talk about a racket on the hour. Some could be silenced others had no such control.

This clock was a gift to my Uncle who has since passed away and I inherited it. It dates from around 1920 and is missing the finials in the top. The clock was bought in this condition with the missing finials so I don't know what they were supposed to look like. The clock keeps very good time, in fact, right now it is spot-on and hasn't been touched in three weeks. It runs for about 10 days between windings and it chimes on the hour and half hour.

MyClock001.jpg

What a truly beautiful clock, Michael! What kind of chimes does it have? Does it just sound out the hours and half-hours with gong-strikes? Or does it provide us with two halves of the Westminster Quarters?

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
Thank you. I'm pretty fond of it myself.

Just plain gong strikes. The gong is a wound piece of round steel wire about 3/32" in diameter. The coil of wire is around 5" across.

The strike is incredibly loud and it wakes me at night. I don't wind the left side of the clock to keep it from striking.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Here's my Telechron "Buffet", dated 1934-36. I found it a my local thrift store for about 6 bucks. I love the styling of the bakelite case and the numbers just scream deco to me...
The tiny white circle in the center switches to red if the power goes out, informing you that you have to set the clock again.
miscpics015.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
I wouldn't go so far as to say I collect them, but I do have a weakness for golden era clocks, particularly small table and bedside clocks. We have two or three in every room. Here's one of my favorites, a Westclox 'Leland'. It's not currently running but the works are intact and appear to be in good condition. Prolly needs only a good cleaning - just one more project that I haven't gotten around to yet.

WestcloxLeland3cr.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a friend who has possibly the most extensive collection of vintage stuff on the planet, if not the entire solar system. He has about 9 of those kitty kat clocks, in every color but one. Really insane.
I'm a big Telechron fan. I have a couple pretty average ones, but I also have a very nice Revere mantel clock, with Westminster chimes. They work great, tho they can be annoying when they start chiming in the middle of some nice music.
Here is a a completely definitive lsiting of every telechron clock ever made, plus a good hiostory of the company. For a long time Telechron made all GE's clocks. GE and Telechron sold the identical clock, but with different serial numbers, depending on whole label was on it.
http://www.telechron.net/main.htm

Talbot

One Too Many
Ahoy there!

Not quite golden era in style, but at least in age.

This is from a ships radio room. The markings assist with morse emergency signalling.

P1010414.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cadillac Clock

I just won this on Ebay, $8.99 with shipping! I am sure it is modern, but has that Art Deco Worlds Fair look to it. Not sure what brand, probably a Cadillac Salesmen award. We will see how scratched up it is once I get it. As long as the clock works and rings are decent, I will be happy!
Clock.jpg
Clock2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou