Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear A-2, contract 1939 Werber Sportswear

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello!

After a waiting time of 18 months I finally got my Good Wear A-2, contract 1939 Werber Sportswear some days ago.

A long time indeed, but worth every second! I can hardly describe this perfect craftsmanship, the overall perfect work from the stitching to all the details you will see in the pics following can’t be compared to any other jacket I have got.

I love the fit which is perfect for me, and I never felt more comfortable in any other leather jacket! Color is great, too!

Communication with Vickie and John is exemplary – every question was answered promptly and patiently, everything explained in detail by e-mail within 24 hours.

Shipping was quick, and although the postal service made a mistake and sent it to Australia first instead of Austria shipping time including customs clearance was only 12 days.

Here are the specifications of my A-2:

Leather type and color
Dull russet brown (LHJ102) front-quarter horsehide.

Wool knit color
Mid brown

Thread
Dull brown thread color (mid brown cotton)

Zipper
Repro Talon (Waldes) No. 7

Concerning the hide I was told:

Quote:
Here is a photo link to our current stock of dull russet on a finished jacket. This may be a slightly lighter shade than the sample you received
last year. Our latest shipment from the tannery was not as dark as the previous order. (I can send you a current sample if you like.). Please
take a look at the current color here: http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/CableRaincoat_No2_46/

First I was a little bit confused by the tag size #44 (with modern jacket I am #38/40), but was cleared up very satisfactorily:

Quote:
I asked John and he explained that based on your measurements, you are more like a size 42 in vintage sizing, especially for shoulders and
chest. However the jacket length and sleeve length are quite long - more accurate for a size 44-46 when compared to his pattern, which was
based off an original. He says also for re-sale purposes, the size 44 label makes more sense since that is more accurate for the length.
But keep in mind that this is a completely customized jacket, built to fit you…which is not exactly like an original - and is quite different when
comparing the lengths and widths to an original.

Here are the measurements I gave to John:

A. Chest, around arms, at armpit level: 44.2”
B. Chest at armpit level: 38“
C. High abdomen: 33“
D. Waist, at typical pant-top level: 34”
E. Arm length, from what is essentially a t-shirt sleeve/shoulder seam to very end of arm bones: 25.1”
F. Height: 72.5”
G. Weight in U.S. pounds: 163

Here you see one of the pics I got before my jacket left Good Wear:

c6bh.jpg

Some details I shot today:

izae.jpg

bq3s.jpg

j9vt.jpg

ubaw.jpg

5jya.jpg

qchp.jpg

xsco.JPG

myvb.jpg

ms36.jpg

Fit pics

Please see the first answer to this thread I started (because only a total of 10 images are allowed per thread)

Your comments are highly appreciated, of course!

Thanks and kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer

Here are the fit pics

3h7z.jpg

r70j.jpg

kqrj.jpg

o5hu.jpg

zuav.jpg

1v4w.jpg

u90h.jpg

7i9e.jpg

Again your comments are highly appreciated, of course!

Thanks and kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Fantastic jacket! Fit looks right and the lengths spot on. It should drape nicely once its wears in a bit. May I ask how tall you are????
I love John's follow-through service... thinking about stuff (like your sizing and the label) that may not occur to some and the pics to get you throthing before posting off. All nice touches. Enjoy!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Totally spot on perfect!!! Feels great to finally get it and have it be all that you were hoping for, huh?

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Very sharp indeed. Good to see you back on the board, by the way.

Building our new house, moving, etc. - had only a few time left just to read in the F.L. ...

Thanks for your and the others' comments!

Kind regards,

Johannes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran