Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Linen Sport coat for $00.99 off the "can't try it on" rack. Right, fit was great and a trip to the dry cleaners was all it needed. Not my size but a Good Will near by had a hand woven Donegal Tweed jacket and a perfect Harris @ $10.00 per.
Tom D.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I have two Goodwill stores nearby that I occasionally check for suits. I've found a few three-pieces that were close to my size and liking, but no hits just yet. Jackets and trousers generally seem to be of lower quality, but I haven't given up.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I just picked up a suit from the local cleaners, and it amuses me a little that it costs me $11 to clean a suit, when I have been buying suits for $11...

davestlouis

Practically Family
More success...dark charcoal gray 3 button suit, 100% wool, pleated and cuffed pants, no obvious wear or damage. I'm not wild about 3 buttons, but it'll do. The price on this one was $12 for some reason, not the normal $11, but who can complain?!

Brand new white button down oxford shirt $5.93, Outer Banks Ultimate Collection.

Not a bad take for a 5 minute excursion to goodwill.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Just got a grubby but good 1960s Austin Reed khaki coloured burberry with all the rings etc. It has been at the dry cleaners and they told me today it was still being cleaned...khaki can be tricky. Best score were ties by Paul Smith, E Zegna and a Carnavale de Venise ties for AUD6 toal in perfect shape.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
7d03_2.JPG

"If it's this and its too small, may I purchase it?"

davestlouis

Practically Family
No success today...local St Vincent de Paul store had several Hickey Freeman suits, but none in my size. Several Goodwill stores, no dice, and a really grubby, poorly merchandised Salvation Army, no luck either. Found a floor lamp for my wife's classroom, so I accomplished something.

Heather

Practically Family
I love going to thrift stores! There's a Goodwill in my area that I've been going to for years. It's always exciting, the possibility of what tresures you might find! I'm really over due for another trip.lol

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
get_atomized said:
I rarely shop anywhere but thrift stores, I find clothes in both new and vintage shops to be far out of my price range

Same here. All of the vintage heavy wool overcoats in my collection have come from Goodwill, Salavtion Army Stores, and AmVet Thrift stores, and I have never payed more than 10 bucks for any of them. I picked up a mid-40's DB wool suit from one a few month ago for 12 bucks, and what looks to be a 40s or 50s Romanian-made DB wool suit last week for 8 dollars. I'm constantly finding vintage shoes for 4 bucks a pair, vintage ties and belts...it pays to visit and search these places each week, if possible....:)
Rob

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
NYC Goodwill

Baron Kurtz was in NYC this weekend.
While waiting to check into his hotel, he had a few hours to kill at Goodwill & Salvation Army.

So in less than 3 hours of his arrival, he'd found a `40s Hart Schaffner Marx jacket for a few dollars.

3787083956_0b34ac7d8b.jpg

And it was great meeting him in person.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Disclaimer: Post aimed primarily at Los Angeles FLers...

davestlouis said:
No success today...local St Vincent de Paul store had several Hickey Freeman suits, but none in my size. Several Goodwill stores, no dice, and a really grubby, poorly merchandised Salvation Army, no luck either. Found a floor lamp for my wife's classroom, so I accomplished something.

I know this is the "Goodwill Buys" thread, but...hopefully not:eek:fftopic:

The only St. Vincent de Paul store that I know of in the city of L.A. (Lincoln Heights) has quite a few suits and coats, but they are mostly post-1960s, and the suit prices are high for a "thrift store" (average about $40). It used to be a good place to find vintage ties (I once found four hand-painted examples, and about eight Pucci skinnies--rare, to say the least), but lately it has turned up nothing (and I've got a "contact" on the inside who tries to save ties for me). I did find a '50s Emmet Kelley doll there a few days ago, though, that is worth in the area of $50 (paid a buck for it).

We've got one local Salvation Army store on Pico, and I have never found any good suits/jackets, just a couple of vintage ties. Correction: Just two days ago I found a crisp early-50s(?), brown, pin-stipe overcoat for $5!

American Vintage stores tend to be high, but the one on Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles gets its merchandise from the one in Echo Park, so some "bargains" are possible. I bought a solid Bold Look, SB, grey pin-stripe suit there for $25, and a spiffy (looks like) late-50s light grey, SB suit with grey and blue pin-stripes for the same price.

The Goodwill? The one in the city of Glendale has virtually nothing vintage, especially in neckties, while the one in Lincoln Heights (where the street vendedores who sell over in Mid-Wilshire go), after about four years, has produced but a handfull of ties. (I did find a beautiful, early '40s brown SB suit for $18 at the Goodwill in Mid-Wilshire, but nothing since.)

These days, about the only thrift stores worth checking out are the Out of the Closet ones. I often find nice vintage jackets, neckties, and sometimes suits at all of them, especially the one in Echo Park. And the great part of it, merchandise that is still on the racks after three weeks, is marked down to a buck! (And that's what I paid for my latest early-50s suit...):D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24