Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
7d03_2.JPG

"If it's this and its too small, may I purchase it?"

Okay, so what's the skinny on this, mate?

davestlouis

Practically Family
Found a "Lauren by Ralph Lauren" sport coat today for $8 at Goodwill. Not a tweed exactly, but multicolor weave, will look great with tan or mushroom trousers, maybe even charcoal or black. I think this is the el-cheapo line of clothes sold at Kohl's and Steinmart, but for $8, who cares?

davestlouis said:
Found a "Lauren by Ralph Lauren" sport coat today for $8 at Goodwill. Not a tweed exactly, but multicolor weave, will look great with tan or mushroom trousers, maybe even charcoal or black. I think this is the el-cheapo line of clothes sold at Kohl's and Steinmart, but for $8, who cares?

Sort of like this:
pPOLO2-5664884_alternate3_v330.jpg

Not exactly cheap if it is. Good find one way or the other. :D

davestlouis

Practically Family
It's already hanging up, I'll have to run upstairs and take a look.

OK, it's a gray on almost black houndstooth with a little gold, red and either green or blue thread running through it...not too different than the one above, minus the obvious windowpane.

Made in Canada, too.

davestlouis said:
It's already hanging up, I'll have to run upstairs and take a look.

OK, it's a gray on almost black houndstooth with a little gold, red and either green or blue thread running through it...not too different than the one above, minus the obvious windowpane.

Made in Canada, too.

Well, the one above costs $1,300 on the Ralph Lauren website so go figure. I think you did ok. ;) :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
I looked at the labels in my new one, and a navy blazer I bought at Steinmart for $99, and aside from Made in Canada vs. Made in China, the labeling is similar. Even if it is only a $100 retail item, I figure I only paid 8 cents on the dollar, so no complaints here.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Not a suit, but it fits in this thread...bought 5 ties today, Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank, for $1 each, at my friendly neighborhood Goodwill. One has a little stain, the others look like new.

funneman

Practically Family
We have several Goodwill stores in our area. My 14 year old daughter and I have spent many an afternoon going from one to the other.

I have found quite a few db blazers in brown, tan, blue and an atomic fleck type black one. I have also found tons of vintage looking ties.

I agree with others on this thread, it kills me to pay ten dollars to dry clean a blazer I just paid five dollars for.

I also agree that you can't just "dash-in" to a Goodwill and expect any type of success. You have to have plenty of time to spare and be very methodical about what you are doing. Otherwise you are going to miss something. Forget about going back for something. I've tried that a couple of times and the item I wanted is always gone when I go back.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I always go ready to buy...I'd rather buy it and hate it, and feel like I blew $10, than miss out on it. It's such small sums of money I don't feel bad if I make a bad choice now and then.

High Pockets

Practically Family
funneman said:
I agree with others on this thread, it kills me to pay ten dollars to dry clean a blazer I just paid five dollars for.

Ha! I just paid 6 bucks for one and spent $30 to have the sleeves taken up enough to show 1/4" of shirt!:D (It was a really nice jacket though!!)

Forget about going back for something. I've tried that a couple of times and the item I wanted is always gone when I go back.
I've been kicking myself in the butt for not paying $22 two weeks ago for a London Fog 40's style trenchcoat in pristine condition,......it was GONE two hours later when I went back for it!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Not at Goodwill, but another charity thrift, I got a very vintage black velvet opera coat, satin-lined of course, for $3.
Something I've never worn but couldn't resist buying is a J. Peterman skirt. I haven't identified it, but it looks very Edwardian - long, not too full. Maybe I should pull it out of the attic and have another look.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you're a fella, don't forget to always check the ladies' section for men's jackets, suits, overcoats, and more. Sometimes Goodwill workers (and customers too) mistakenly hang men's clothing in the ladies' section ... and vice-versa, though not so often.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have also noticed lots of ladies stuff mixed in with the men's...never thought to check the ladies ssection for menswear. I wear a big enough size that it would be doubtful for any of the big boy clothes to end up in the ladies section.

I have gotten compliments at work for my new ties, can't complain about that!

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
If you're a fella, don't forget to always check the ladies' section for men's jackets, suits, overcoats, and more. Sometimes Goodwill workers (and customers too) mistakenly hang men's clothing in the ladies' section ... and vice-versa, though not so often.

Yep....I find some of my best. most-comfortable brassiere's in that department....:p
Rob

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Here's a tip: if you have a Brooks Brothers store near you, try to find out to what charity they donate their MOS (marked-out-of-stock) merchandise. I've gotten lots of brand-new BB merchandise with very minor flaws for a fraction of what it would originally have cost. Often there are shirts with spots that come right out with laundering, suits and sportcoats that have been altered but are otherwise brand-new, and ties with spots or picks that are all but unnoticeable.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Huge! And HIDEOUS!

It was too weird to resist - a size 54L three piece, bright red, polyester ZOOT SUIT for $15.
Same suits are $150 on Ebay.
I already have a buyer for it, someone who does Santa rentals...
I would post pics but I am being kind.
It's actually nicely made, but the fabric is the stuff of nightmares.

funneman

Practically Family
Somebody cleaned out their closet.

GOOD NEWS:
I left work early to pick up my daughter at cheerleading, had a few minutes to kill and headed over to the nearby Goodwill. Within minutes I found a like-new brown Harris Tweed Blazer and a Jos. A. Banks Harris knock-off in blue. They both fit perfectly. Cost, $5 each.

BAD NEWS:
It's ninety-freakin-degrees in Florida. I'll have to wait months before I can wear either one.
:-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24