Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grammy hat??

Tiger_Rag

New in Town
When I saw that hat Pharrell was wearing, I had to google this video that I hadn't seen in 30s years.

I tried to embed it but failed. It was the Malcolm Maclaren song "Buffalo Gals".

Last edited:

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
In the immortal words of Hoban Washburn "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
He probably got the style from Malcom McLaren from the early 80s:

Malcolm-McLaren-Buffalo-Gals.jpg

The big difference is that back then there was no internet to spread it like wildfire.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I think it was a great example of how anyone can express their appreciation for hats. I was a little taken back at first, but he's the kind of person that pushes the edge, and it worked! Got the world talking about hats, not to mention the awesome wide brim he donned during the Daft Punk performance.

Many of us have a love for particular eras, not just hats that were a part of them. Pharrell has a love for music, and he tipped his cap to an era that defined and constructed hip-hop. A deconstructed hat was very fitting and very progressive. His wide brim looked vintage; it was a stunner!!

hatguy1

One Too Many
Alive'n'Amplified;and he tipped his cap to an era that defined and constructed hip-hop. A deconstructed hat was very fitting and very progressive. His wide brim looked vintage; it was a stunner!![/QUOTE said:
Hmmm. That logic seems contradictory to me, but whatever. To each their own, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think it was a great example of how anyone can express their appreciation for hats. I was a little taken back at first, but he's the kind of person that pushes the edge, and it worked! Got the world talking about hats, not to mention the awesome wide brim he donned during the Daft Punk performance.

Many of us have a love for particular eras, not just hats that were a part of them. Pharrell has a love for music, and he tipped his cap to an era that defined and constructed hip-hop. A deconstructed hat was very fitting and very progressive. His wide brim looked vintage; it was a stunner!!

I tend to agree - I don't know much about the music world that Pharrell works in, but he seems to be a pretty talented guy.

While the distressed hat isn't something I'd wear personally, it worked for him. The hat from the Daft Punk part is something I'd wear for sure.

Maybe next year he should go back to the stereotype and wear a backwards baseball cap?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I think that, while I think the hat looks stupid, that it is cool that he wore it. If that is his thing, go for it! The other hats he wore were much cooler.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Maybe next year he should go back to the stereotype and wear a backwards baseball cap?

Ha! I don't follow him, but I know that he's a trend setter. A younger generation will appreciate hats with guys like him. Although, we don't want them to appreciate them that much. We need to keep the used / ebay prices down a bit!

Missed your cool head a&a... Good to see you back.

Thanks, Alan! Back is a good place to be. :)

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
The abomination on Pharrell's head makes me feel like traitor to my heart and my kin.

Normally, I feel aggrieved that many people nowadays disparage the wearing of fedoras.

Yet Pharrell's eyesore makes me feel the same sort of emotions as must those disparagers when they see normal fedoras. I am thus thrust into the odd position of becoming like one of those who vex me.

To put that another way, this thread has done great injury to both my eyes and my soul.

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
Its ironic there is so much hat hater speak here:D

It may not be your style, but so what, 10 gallon hats aren't my style either but I wouldn't rant about.

Not much difference between them and his, and at least as a musician its not that odd. A 10 gallon hat on the other hand what the hell is the point in that? Then or now?

Sounds like a lot of grumpy old people in here.:eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy