Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grammy hat??

tommyK

One Too Many
pharrell.jpg

gonna leave the ribbon on... for now.
On second thought you guys might be on to something here. Not everybody's cup of tea but it does require an open crown and if enough young trendsetters are hounding hat companies for more open crown options, could be good for everybody! I'm warming to it. Bravo!

Walt

One of the Regulars
For all of you who just gots to have one of those "creations" the LA Times is reporting it is a Vivienne Westwood "Mountain" hat.

now comes word that we have designer Vivienne Westwood to thank for the millinery meme. Monday morning, representatives for the label emailed us to share that Pharrell's high-profile headgear was a felt "Mountain" hat, hand-made in England and available in various colors.

The hat is available through the Vivienne Westwood Worlds End boutique in London, where it will cost you roughly $158 at current exchange rates. That was confirmed for us by the folks at the Vivienne Westwood Los Angeles boutique on Melrose Avenue (who told us they'd already received several phone calls looking for said hat -- two inquiries coming even before the store opened at 11 a.m.).

[Updated 4:25 p.m. PST Jan. 27: We've just been informed by the Westwood folks that the hat may now be pre-ordered by U.S. shoppers by calling the 8320 Melrose Ave. boutique at (323) 951-0021.

The "Mountain" is available in one size and two colors (black and brown) and can be yours for $180. We're told delivery is expected in mid-March, at which time a limited number of the hats also will be available for purchase in-store.]

They also mention the source of Madonna's hat.

See more at http://www.latimes.com/fashion/alltherage/la-ar-grammys-2014-pharrell-vivienne-westwood-hat-20140127,0,5230793.story#axzz2rfzgZb9U

Now if he had only worn buckskins or a bison coat! The "mountain" hat has been around for over 30 years.

Looks like all the kids now want to copy him... Just do a web search for "vivienne westwood mountain hat" or checkout http://worldsendshop.co.uk/mountain-hat/.

Last edited:
Its ironic there is so much hat hater speak here:D

It may not be your style, but so what, 10 gallon hats aren't my style either but I wouldn't rant about.

Not much difference between them and his, and at least as a musician its not that odd. A 10 gallon hat on the other hand what the hell is the point in that? Then or now?

Sounds like a lot of grumpy old people in here.:eeek:

What's really ironic is that on a forum dedicated to discussing a very certain and defined style, that someone would rant that "anything goes" and designers whose mantra is "obscene as possible" should be beyond scrutiny.

"Pants on the ground may not be your style, but that's because you're too old to recognize anything stylish." Classic.

Edward

Bartender
I find the act of wearing a felt hat with a track suit jacket much more egregious than the hat itself. Shoulda gone with straw.

Yes, it looked an odd combination to me.

The potential influence of the Sixties generation comment is spot on, though - Hendrix wore a lot of flamboyant hats, and as far as role models for successful young, black musicians with a wider appreciation of being groundbreaking than hip hop go...

Yes but look at how everyone is now talking about the hat...and him. Would seem mission accomplished..!!
HD

Bingo!

He probably got the style from Malcom McLaren from the early 80s:

Malcolm-McLaren-Buffalo-Gals.jpg

Earlier photo, before the brim trim.

tumblr_m3eq5qdvah1qkgs51o1_500.jpg

pharrell-ChristopherPolk.jpg

YES! Buffalo Gals! I knew there was something worrying away at the back of my mind, insisting I'd seen this before... The Westwood / McLaren partnership produced a lot of interesting results (though personally I much prefer her Seditionaries era to anything she put out in the Eighties). Some very nice tailoring in the window the last time I passed one of her shops, though alas the jacket I especially liked was the price of a bespoke three-piece outside London...

Looking at old West photos, that's the way a lot of those guys "bashed" their hats. Striking, Alan!

Yes, the Old West was very much an inspiration for the Buffalo Gals collection, as I recall. The original hats look somewhat less outlandish to me - something to do with the wider brims in relation to the crown height. Still, much closer in look to the bashes of the original Western hats the way they were really worn than the perfect jelly-mould style of modern Western hats.

Cartoon hat.

Exaggerating and playing around with proportions to make things appear quite cartoony is very much a Westwood signature.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
What's really ironic is that on a forum dedicated to discussing a very certain and defined style, that someone would rant that "anything goes" and designers whose mantra is "obscene as possible" should be beyond scrutiny.

"Pants on the ground may not be your style, but that's because you're too old to recognize anything stylish." Classic.

In a forum where most anything that can be worn on the head is up for debate, I don't find that comment less ironic. This forum has threads on hats in styles as different as fedora, homburg, fez and campain hat. That can hardly be called "a very certain and defined style".

Fedoras have always been used in combination with a multitude of very different styles. They have been worn with work clothes and suits. In my mind, a fez and a Western suit has always been a strange and completely out-of-context combination of styles. A bit like a tuxedo with Moroccan sandals. Where I come from, we have never used the campain hat - except for boy scouts. Seeing a campain hat I can't help thinking of American comic strips like Yogi Bear, and I'm pretty sure many Europeans do the same. In all respect, Alan's hat (along with more moderate campain hats) would be considered hilarious on a grown man's head in most European streets - no less that the hat, we're discussing.

I can't help wondering, what "very certain and defined style" the members of this forum are sharing so dedicatedly. Fortunately I see a life-giving diversity of styles here on TFL - and I'm quite sure, that roominess is a very important reason for TFL's popularity. I think, a lot of this discussion sounds like "Nothing goes - except what I wear". The nice thing about the discussion is, that we all know the arguments by heart ... we've spent a couple of thousand years rehearsing them ;)

I can't help wondering, what "very certain and defined style" the members of this forum are sharing so dedicatedly.

Generally vintage fashions from the 1920's through 1950's, which typically doesn't include the early 80's British "post-punk" scene. I thought that was pretty obvious from the majority of the topics around here. There are whole sections of this site dedicated to that.

Last edited:
In all respect, Alan's hat (along with more moderate campain hats) would be considered hilarious on a grown man's head in most European streets - no less that the hat, we're discussing.

I have one beautiful old Stetson campaign hat but I've never worn it outside the house... which is an unusual show of restraint for me. The photo above is a Borsalino... brim's too wide and crown is a little low, but it captures the spirit. Decided to leave the ribbon in place and put it back in its usual shape. For now.

frussell

One Too Many
Pharrell has a video for the song "Happy," from Despicable Me II that my two year old son loves. Lots of dancing, catchy tune, and he wears a wide brim hat (normal crown shape) for lots of it. Coming from a family of colorful western hat wearers, I don't have a problem with a weird shape. Better than no hat. An old cowboy mentor I used to ride with would have called this a "go to hell hat," meaning you wore it if you didn't give a damn whether other people liked it or not. I like his style much more than most modern musicians. Frank

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Generally vintage fashions from the 1920's through 1950's, which typically doesn't include the early 80's British "post-punk" scene. I thought that was pretty obvious from the majority of the topics around here. There are whole sections of this site dedicated to that.

Looking at the pictures, we members post, I think it is obvious, that is not the case. I see fedoras with a lot of modern clothes - even hoodies à la the 80s. Unless I was attending a carnival, I would never dress up in a 1920-1950 costume. I would really feel like in a costume, and I know for sure, that I share that with quite a few members. If the forum really was so restricted, as you obviously think it is, I'm absolutely positive it would be a lot smaller. Fortunately it's not :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran