Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graphite Optimo

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I am unable to post pics easily at the moment, but here is what I sen Optimo to copy, this and an old borsalino with a similar crown.

The hat looks excellent my brim is a little bigger and the ribbon is a little smaller

I had to call and congratulate Graham.

My new hat looks like it fell out of the 20's.
6" crown
2 3/4" brim
0 taper - this one does bow out a bit.
bound edge
black ribbon
wind string

I will post real pics of me when I can.

19.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Graham had to use a bigger hat body to make the crown big enough to fit on the old block. The hat looks sweet!

It beats any previous hat I have from Optimo hands down.

I'm planning to wear it with the brim up most of the time for the Citizen Kane swoop.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Originally posted by Zohar
Wow, another Graphite Optimo today! I can't wait to see pictures of this one.

All the cool people have Graphite (Just kidding).

This is a hat I plan to keep in good condition (unlike my other Optimos), I just got a compliment from the office secretary... I must post pics.

They did the bow totally 20's style too, and the wind string has a nice thick button like the ones I find on vintage hats, and the crown... purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Tallest and straightest I've seen on a modern hat outside of Peters Bros. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wowsa, I can't wait to gaze my eyes on that baby. That's just a great looking lid to begin with, with the Optimo touch, your talking spectacular. Like I have always said, there is nothing like a vintage golden era fedora, except an Optimo.:cool2:

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
. . . Josh, I think Optimo made the hat. That's just the picture he had them use for reference. I don't think there's anything Optimo could do to that hat to make it any better. Great...now I want a wide brimmed grey fedora.....again..... LOL

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Yet another Graphite....

I received my Graphite Gray Manhattan last week from OPTIMO. It is very very soft.

Bogie1943 said "there is nothing like a vintage golden era fedora, except an Optimo" and he is right on. The hat feels vintage.

Crown Height: 5 1/8
Brim Width: 2 5/8
Brim Edge: Bound
Ribbon Color: Graphite Gray

After seeing some of the other Graphite Gray Fedoras I feel like I should have ordered a black ribbon rather than the Graphite Gray.

I may wait til I send it in for cleaning and have the ribbon changed then. In Texas we will soon be out of the cold weather and I want to wear it as much as possible now that the weather is cold (cool).

It does seem like Graphite Gray is a very popular color. I was going to order a phantom blue but OPTIMO was out of that color.

Next hat may be a thick felt such as the Skyblue like Runquist. I am also thinking of going with a Mitchum Block. OPTIMO reblocked my Borsalino Michaelson to a Mitchum Block and it looks great!

Cheers!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gabe

Most of the Optimo's I have are done in the Mitchum block. However, I am going to get another felt from them with the taller and fuller crown like Matt D.

Your graphite gray ribbon will look great, don't sweat it.

When I got my woven Milan straw, Kevin talked me into the silver gray ribbon. Then Graham made my son a similar hat, and it came with a beatuiful bright blue which match his blue eyes. Now I want that ribbon for my straw.

And BTW for anyone buying a straw, consider NOT getting a sewn in band. Go instead with a couple of pugarees where you can change the color! Smart move.

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the comments. I will probably keep the Graphite Gray ribbon. I will probably get used to it a really like it later on. Besides in a way it's nice to have something different than the norm.

Regarding the straw hat. Last summer I ordered a Bel Air Monticristi hat from OPTIMO. The longer I wore that hat the more I didn't like the look on me. I look better in a Manhattan or Mitchum type block. About a week ago I called Kevin and asked if the Crown on a straw could be reblocked to a different block shape. He said it could be done if the hat was fairly new. The hat has been in the box most of the time. I have maybe worn it 5 times.

He said to send it to OPTIMO and have them look at it to see if they could reblock it. I want a center dent block. I don't know what that particular block is called. I want it to look something like Minnesota Jones Monticristi or something like what you are wearing on your Avatar Andy. What is that block called?

I am asking, can a Monticristi hat be reblocked to another style block? I only spoke to Kevin. Graham was not available at the time.

Any comments?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Honestly, and I never thought I would ever be saying anything like this, but I really like that brim swooped up.

That looks SLICK

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
ya know joseph, while I dont' know how well it'd go with that hat...but you'd look good with sideburns :p and that hat is B-E-A-utiful. I prefer a tighter pinch than that (not necessarily raidersy) but thats just me.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Gabe,
In answer to your question, yes, most of the time you can re-block a Panama into a different style. The trouble comes in when there is a wear pattern from handling the hat. If there is no wear pattern and it is still supple, then it should be able to be done. Another caveat is if there was alot if stiffner added when making. If you got it from Optimo, there is very little stiffner.

Good luck

Art

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Thanks Art

The hat is very supple. I doubt it has any stiffner at all. In fact I have a hard time keeping the front of the brim down due any kind of wind flipping it up. Other times the wind flips the back brim down. In West Texas we have a lot of wind in the summer. That may be one of the minuses of a high grade Monticristi, the suppleness to the point where the brim flops around so much.

Does anyone else have that problem with their Monticristi's? Now, if and when they reblock it I may have them add some stiffner.

The hat does have a great feel to it! Very soft, supple and like Rundquist once said, "they feel like linen".

Again, thanks for your comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner