Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT AERO half belt thread.

Cossack or Half Belt with these specs: Cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton?

• Half Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cossack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
IMO...SierraCharriba's '30s Half Belt fits perfectly. I have several HBs..and would rather have them a little on the long side than too short. For me..if it doesn't at least cover the belt and buckle on a pair of normal denim jeans...the jacket just looks a poor fit.
HD

Interesting you say that HD - the jackets I've seen you wear seem pretty damn short. In fact shorter than most jacket posts here I have seen. They look fine, however.

Seb Lucas said:
Interesting you say that HD - the jackets I've seen you wear seem pretty damn short. In fact shorter than most jacket posts here I have seen. They look fine, however.

I guess it's whatever your definition of what too short is. There have been pics on this forum of new jackets that barely touch the top of the belt. Some seem to prefer them that way. Again...with the entire belt and buckle exposed...seem just too short in my view. I do also like the longer length of the OP's new jacket.

Here's my new jacket only a few days old...
IMG_0119.jpg

The standard size Highwayman purchased from Aero's sales page...
100_0458.jpg

But..here it is slipped on with a pair of lower slung old jeans that I use to work in the yard....looking on the short side...
IMG_0112.jpg

Pretty damn short? Some would probably think so. I would say borderline...however adding an inch or two never hurts. Both of these are 25" on my long torso.
BTW..I'm 6'2"..185 lbs.
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They all look good on you HD. I'm your height and weight so you give me inspiration. Anyone who is a little heavier would find those jackets difficult to pull off, I would imagine. 25 inches is a good length, I think.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice PB but it looks a great deal longer than HD's more like a long half-belt. Is it around 28 inches long from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the jacket?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
PoohBang said:
Here's my half-belt... had it about 8 years or so.

front.jpg

more pics and a write up of it on my blog for today...

PB; nice jacket - without question. But from what I can see... just one size too big :eek: (check out HD's pics especially torso & shoulder section). Just my 2 cents...

PoohBang

Suspended
I agree it could be a tad smaller, but HD is showing a highwayman not a half belt... unless I missed a pic...

Plus this is not aero's 30's halfbelt, but their standard one.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
PoohBang said:
I agree it could be a tad smaller, but HD is showing a highwayman not a half belt... unless I missed a pic...

Plus this is not aero's 30's halfbelt, but their standard one.

PB; You are absolutely right... still a very nice jacket you own... also I love that 'Thunder Bay' Label ;)

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
PB-- Great looking jacket! I really love that hide. When I finally save up enough to buy an Aero, that is the color I want-- it looks darker, more of a seal or chocolate brown than their standard weight HH. Is it a different finish/dye (spray finish perhaps?)? Anybody know if they still offer a similar color mid-weight HH anymore?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
If you click on the link to PoohBang's website (www.poohbang.com) and read his review of his jacket, you will see that his jacket is a little differnet in color because he supplied his own horsehide. Aero may have a similar color, but his was a one off.

PoohBang, feel free to correct me if I have the details wrong.

PoohBang

Suspended
no sorry if that read wrong.. It was some old stock Aero had... I didn't supply it. they had enough at the time to make a couple of jacket but not enough to make a full run...

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Cool. Really what I was wondering was if they currently have something "similar" to that hide and whether you think it is a different finish type from their standard FQHH.

PoohBang

Suspended
Griemersma said:
Cool. Really what I was wondering was if they currently have something "similar" to that hide and whether you think it is a different finish type from their standard FQHH.

Yes it is different than their standard FQHH. The color is different and of course it's a bit lighter.

The hide is not as "oily" as there standard hide. If you ask what they have laying around in the back they might be able to help you. Sometimes they have bits left over that's not enough to make a run, but enough for a jacket or two.

If you show them a picture of my color, they might be able to help...

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Cool. Thanks. It will be quite a while before I'll be able to afford one, but when the time comes...

The reason I was asking is because the leather on that jacket looks very similar to that on my trusty old Hercules. That jacket has served me well for the last 10 years or so, but unfortunately, is heading towards its ultimate inevitable demise :( . Just need to make it last until I can buy a new one.

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Thought I would share my latest jacket with you all:

It was a special made with no storm cuffs, but with button cuffs and an inside pocket.

The good thing about the sales items (apart from the saving!) is that there is no waiting,
It arrived the next day.

It’s tagged 40 but it fits more like a 42. Despite this it is a tad restrictive due to the cut in the sleeves. I checked the fit/cut against an original 40s half belt I have but found that also has a large arm hole which slightly restricts movement in the arms. It’s by no means a problem but I think I noticed it after the Aero A2 I which I have been wearing daily and is cut very small in the arms and gives greater ease of movement.

Although the sleeves could be a ½ inch longer I believe the fit is good.

This jacket is so well made, great quality right down to the pocket and jacket linings. The front quarter horse hide is superb, just fantastic.

I have had my sights on an Aero half belt for some time so when this came up I was on the phone without hesitation. Very pleased!!

Cheerio
James.:)

..is this color brown or vintage brown?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner