Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT AERO half belt thread.

Cossack or Half Belt with these specs: Cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton?

• Half Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cossack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tudo

New in Town
highwayman or half belt help?!

Please can anyone help me? I'm torn between ordering the Aero HWM and the Half belt, but ,to help me decide I would love to compare photos of the jackets actually being worn to get some idea of the shape and style.If anyone owns both and can provide pictures of them wearing them (separately:) )that would be fantastic.Many thanks in advance T.

tudo

New in Town
Thanks for the advice ,but most photos show a "bodyless" highwayman or halfbelt.I was just hoping to compare them with somebody inside them:)
Regards Tudo

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Well if you are stuck on an Aero, get a hold of Mark at Aero USA and talk to him. He can help you decide what jacket would be best for your purposes. He is a wealth of info and gets back to you PDQ with you answers.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Dilemma and Aero Long Half Belt

Just found a H/H Long Half Belt in my size in Aeros sale items. Could not stop myself so now its on order!!

However, I am now starting to be concerned about the amount of jackets I have. I realise I am lucky to be able to indulge myself but my concern is this: having more than a few jackets means that some do not get worn very often which is ok, but I find that the fun is getting all that character worn into a jacket. For example the long half belt will be great in the winter but when will I wear my Aero Irvin which really needs that worn-in/used look? Ok, I could buy more used jackets but I do like the experience of, if you like, growing with a jacket.

Am I just bonkers or does anyone else feel the same?

James.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
There is nothing wrong with you. Nothing.

Although I do have the same feelings you do about having too many to wear and not giving any one jacket enough time for proper break-in and character development.

Which usually leads me to getting another jacket.

There's lots worse habits you could have, brother.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Thought I would share my latest jacket with you all:

It was a special made with no storm cuffs, but with button cuffs and an inside pocket.

The good thing about the sales items (apart from the saving!) is that there is no waiting,
It arrived the next day.

It’s tagged 40 but it fits more like a 42. Despite this it is a tad restrictive due to the cut in the sleeves. I checked the fit/cut against an original 40s half belt I have but found that also has a large arm hole which slightly restricts movement in the arms. It’s by no means a problem but I think I noticed it after the Aero A2 I which I have been wearing daily and is cut very small in the arms and gives greater ease of movement.

Although the sleeves could be a ½ inch longer I believe the fit is good.

This jacket is so well made, great quality right down to the pocket and jacket linings. The front quarter horse hide is superb, just fantastic.

I have had my sights on an Aero half belt for some time so when this came up I was on the phone without hesitation. Very pleased!!

Cheerio
James.:)

Longshanks

New in Town
jamespibworth@n said:
some do not get worn very often

I have to admit I really enjoy wearing all the quirky outerwear I own (some of it quirkily cheap, some oddly expensive). Were it not for the fact that so many people (particularly the elderly) don't enjoy the cold weather, I would wish it were colder more often. I certainly spend too much time looking and shopping for coats and jackets, and I do appreciate the luxury of being able to own more than I need, but in the grand scheme of things, it's neither a terrible affliction nor a dreadful crime. Hm...time to look at the Aero sale page again...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Aero 'Cossack' USA Edition versus Aero 'Half Belt' FQHH

AeroJacketmeasurementsMay2007001-3.jpg
I love my HWM, but I originally had ordered a half-belt with the same specs as my HWM as there was a mix-up with the order. I gotta admit, I still have a hankering over getting a half-belf.

Up to a while ago, I had envisaged going this time round for a cordovan FQHH HB with black alpaca lining and a black mouton collar.

However, I am now drawn to the Cossack - I especially like that you can cinch it higher up on the waist thereby giving a better silloette.

Aero 'Cossack' USA Edition--Cordovan Front Quarter Horsehide
265482021.jpg

Aero 'Half Belt' Mouton Collar--Brown FQHH
109301591.jpg

Assuming my choices are cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton: What do you guys think would look better with these specs: HB or Cossack?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Get a 1930s halfbelt with fur collar. It's a nice and close fitting jacket which makes a trim and athletic silhouette. The Cossack is no longer than a Lee 101 denim jacket. If you tend to wear low waist jeans or cargo pants the jacket will be too short and a gap between jacket hem and belt will be visible (unless you order the jacket with 1 or 2 inches added to the body length). I strongly vote for the 1930s halfbelt.

Jan

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
JanSolo said:
Get a 1930s halfbelt with fur collar. It's a nice and close fitting jacket which makes a trim and athletic silhouette. The Cossack is no longer than a Lee 101 denim jacket. If you tend to wear low waist jeans or cargo pants the jacket will be too short and a gap between jacket hem and belt will be visible (unless you order the jacket with 1 or 2 inches added to the body length). I strongly vote for the 1930s halfbelt.

Jan

Great point about the 1930s version, as I believe my HWM would be a more '50s version.

I did actually want a jacket that was higher up than my HWM as I would prefer to be able to cinch it a bit higher. I wouldn't be wearing low waisted jeans as I probably would wear some khakis with it. I would prefer a jacket that it more trim than the HWM (mine is a 48" with 2" added in lenght.)

I guess my concern is whether or not the '30s version mught be too trim - even in a 48". I am not slim, rather I am kinda stocky.

I am really tempted by this - I especially love the back profile. I think it would look great with a black mouton collar.

1930cossack-large.jpg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the Cossack I have one in black FGHH with blanket lining brought it for a steal on ebay. very flattering fit. I am 5-9 , 190l bs 34 waist sorta on the old side pushing 60. certainly a different jacket than the HWM which I would never be with out

Peacoat

Bartender
I initially agreed with our German friend, but after comparing the pictures, there doesn't seem to be that much difference in the body length. I like the idea of the mouton collar; it is a good option for winter wear.

One of my pet peeves is a jacket that wears too high. However, it works better with chinos than with jeans--because of the pocket placement on the trousers. A simple solution would be to get the Cossack but have Mark add two or three inches in body length. Problem solved!

lazywhitedog

New in Town
Aero Half Belt " Deluxe"

Howdy All , I have a Half Belt " Deluxe 42" that appears to have shrunk, no doubt the cause was an arid Vermont summer,and not BBQ's and post Aurturo Fuente churchills . I'm new here and am concerned with poor quality control with Aero bovine tanage.Should i suck it up? Sell ? Get a Lost Worlds? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

icecold

One of the Regulars
Calling Aero 30's halfbelt owners

Hi there, I just received my Aero 30's halfbelt. The problem is that they messe up my order and made the body 2" longer. So now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or return it, so that's why I ask:

How exactly is this jacket supposed to fit?
(For some reason I can't upload pictures, so let me describe).
Right now, the one I have falls about 2-3 inches below my belt. Which seems to be a tad long. Probably looks ok, but when I sit or bend, the jacket obstructs movement, plus I'm worried that this would ruin the zipper eventually. To make things worse, I'm an inch shorter than the model on their web page.

Speaking of which, on the other hand, the picture they have on the model on their own web-page seems to be a tad short
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...age?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=43

So now I'm completely torn between what is the good fit for this type of jacket. The slightly longer body i have seems to result in pretty different silhouette, but then again, the really short - barely-covering-the belt cut also seems to be a bit too "ambitious", no? Obviously, the biggest concer is dealing with returning, waiting, exchanging, etc., etc., etc. So any input that would helpm me make up my midn will be greatly appreciated!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner